Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Timing mark no where to be found with timing light

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 LB9 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi drum
Timing mark no where to be found with timing light

I have a gm goodwrench replacement engine, i currently dropped in and in the process of timing i cant seem to find the mark on the balancer. Its nowhere near the timing tab. The engine cranks over but just doesnt sound right, not sure if its missing. Checked the firing order and its correct. The ignition is an hei distributor with a msd digital box. Everything was working fine a week ago, i could see the timing mark lining up with 10 btdc and after a backfire from the exhaust it just disappeared. What should i do at this point? The car is carburated as well
Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: Timing mark no where to be found with timing light

Originally Posted by camaro1122
cant seem to find the mark
Its nowhere near the timing tab. What should i do at this point? l
Mark on balancer is obviously out of range.
Keep turning the dizzy one way or the other until it comes back into view
Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by camaro1122
Everything was working fine a week ago, i could see the timing mark lining up with 10 btdc and after a backfire from the exhaust it just disappeared.
It's funny sometimes , the different things people see in threads that sparks an idea or possible answer , and here's mine ;

You mention loosing the timing mark after a backfire* from the exhaust . Have you closely inspected the harmonic dampener itself to see if the outer heavy weighted ring has slipped through the rubber that holds it to it's inner hub ? The outer ring that carries the timing mark is connected to it's hub only by a thin strip of rubber and they DO slip on occasion , putting the timing mark at the wrong relationship to the pointer . Even worse , is that once slipped , the weight (which IS off "off center" to the axis of rotation) is now not in proper alignment with the rest of the crankshaft and can result in all kinds of "The engine cranks over but just don't sound right" (I presume this means it starts but runs/sounds like crap ?)

* ps , "Backfires" come BACK out of the intake , hence the "back" in backfire . "Afterfires" come out from the exhaust , as this fuel burns AFTER it's supposed to , and burns explosively in the exhaust with a nice loud boom . No one usually uses the correct term in conversation , but it's nice to know that there is a differing , proper terminology , to that which is in current popular use .
Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 AM

Car: 86 Tans Am, T-tops
Engine: 305HO
Transmission: 5sp
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt proabaly with ? gears

Up until computerized engine controls came along I rarely used a timing light. Really there are so many factors influencing what the timing should be it is usually better to just advance the distributor as much as possible without preignition (spark knock) . As you have just shown who knows if the timing mark is even correct to start with.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91' Firebird SOLD
Engine: 350 TPI +bolt-ons
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Easy fix, take out no.1 spark plug and insert a TDC finder ,if you don't have one try using a thick piece of insulated wire. Turn the engine over until it stops turning because it hits the wire or the stopper. Mark the balancer with a piece of chalk or paint. Now, turn engine the other direction until it stops again. mark again. Split the difference and mark the balancer once more. Now, your line in the center is your timing mark.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73

Originally Posted by init4fun
Have you closely inspected the harmonic dampener itself to see if the outer heavy weighted ring has slipped through the rubber that holds it to it's inner hub ?
The outer ring that carries the timing mark is connected to it's hub only by a thin strip of rubber and they DO slip on occasion , putting the timing mark at the wrong relationship to the pointer .

Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 LB9 TPI
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi drum

I figured out the problem. Good thing to say is nothings messed up. Basically all my passengers side spark plugwires came loose off the spark plug and that was my idle and i guess misfire issue. The timing is fine ans set to 16 btdc. I guess the reason i couldnt read it is because the white paint i had on there faded, but i changed my timing light as well. Before i had a xenon timing light which made the white thats on their stand out and now i use a timing light that doesnt have xenon so it was very difficult to read. I now need to get my msd 6al-2 box programmed if anyone can help with that
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

I would like to Thank Vetteoz for posting that photo of the slipped dampener . It's great that the Op's problem ended up being much simpler , and a slipped dampener wasn't found to be the trouble . It IS a good thing to remember , for in the future if any other timing marks go MIA .
Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91' Firebird SOLD
Engine: 350 TPI +bolt-ons
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Originally Posted by init4fun
I would like to Thank Vetteoz for posting that photo of the slipped dampener . It's great that the Op's problem ended up being much simpler , and a slipped dampener wasn't found to be the trouble . It IS a good thing to remember , for in the future if any other timing marks go MIA .
If they go MIA, then use the method I posted.