Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Performance Timing Options using on an 86 CC Q-jet?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Performance Timing Options using on an 86 CC Q-jet?

So I’ve been having fun playing around with my 86 Firebird with the CCQ. It’s been an interesting learning experience and I now feel likeI have it tuned to a place where it’s working really well.

This, of course, leads me to think about tuning for more performance.

I understand (and I’m in the process of) fixing the exhaust restrictions, and I’m going to look over the jetting and secondary opening rate of the Carb itself. I also need to procure a better air cleaner.

The one thing I’m a little stumped about is how the computer controls the timing and what options I have to improve the curve using the stock distributor.

In stock form, I know the distributor is set to 6* BTDC and the computer controls the rest. I also know that if I was tuning a normal HEI with vacuum advance, I would be tuning for a max of ~ 36* at 3000 RPM, with a milder vacuum advance can for highway/cruising and mileage.

What options do I have to improve the timing for performance? How does the computer adjust timing at WOT vs Cruise?

The computer assumes the car is starting at 6* - but does it put a full 36* in at WOT? If not, does adjusting the base timing change that? Can I go up to 10* or even 12* without causing pinging problems?

Love some expertise and experience…

Thanks!