Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine dies but starts back up

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: JW Performance 700R4
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9-bolt, 3.08 gears
Engine dies but starts back up

I have a '84 Trans Am with a 350 installed. The engine is carburated and non computer controlled. I installed a new Cranes Cams HI-6R ignition box with their Street/Race distributor. The engine ran fine for about 150 miles. Now it will die when bringing the rpms up and in motion. The engine will fire right back up and run for about 30 seconds when moving and die again. I had the ignition box and distributer evaluated by Crane and they say there is nothing wrong with either of them. I'm leaning towards an electrical problem going to the ignition box. There are 2 power leads going to the box. One is directly coming from the battery. The other is tied into the ignition switch. The ignition switch is brand new and a GM part. All electrical connections for the ground and battery have been soldered. The connection to the ignition switch is crimped and soldered using the correct GM Packard 56 connector. Bad ignition switch? Or possibly a bad connection somewhere in the circuit supplying power to the ignition switch? I'm going to go through the electrical circuits but wondering if anyone has any more ideas/thoughts on where to look.