Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Pull engine with/without transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Pull engine with/without transmission?

Need some members opinions. I have a 88 GTA 5.7 TPI with 192k miles. It runs like a top, totally stock with exception of K/N filter, Flowmaster, and the 89 PROM reprogram. I am the original owner. You can eat off the engine compartment.
I hate oil leaks for one! I developed one from the front main timing cover and also the rear main which is one piece, I believe. I also have the typical "smoke on start-up valve guide seals issue.
So I figured instead of going through the hassle of breaking the bottom open, removing trans and all that, then breaking the top half to do that job, that maybe I should just have the engine rebuilt an freshened up a little.

My question is should I pull engine with trans attached or pull motor from trans? Like to do things the easy way. I am having the trans and rear gone through also so every thing is fresh.

This is not by no means a daily driver. It sits covered in the garage.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2014, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Re: Pull engine with/without transmission?

I had my sons tranny rebuilt, removed / installed just to find out his motor was shot in his 87 GTA. So whe i got it home, i pulled the motor and left the tans behind in the car. I was easy enough to remove and reinstall with the tranny in the car.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TX-SleeperC5
I had my sons tranny rebuilt, removed / installed just to find out his motor was shot in his 87 GTA. So whe i got it home, i pulled the motor and left the tans behind in the car. I was easy enough to remove and reinstall with the tranny in the car.
Thanks TX-SleeperC5. I pulled an 5.7 without the trans from a 89 GTA, wasn't bad. Just seeing if there's any advantage either way. The trans is coming out anyway
Old 05-09-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: Vortec 4200 Inline 6 PT70 Turbo..
Transmission: 4L65E
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Pulling both is easiest. The key is to JACK THE *$$ END OF THE CAR REALLY HIGH UP. This makes the angle a lot better for the removal/install.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by AutoRoc
Pulling both is easiest. The key is to JACK THE *$$ END OF THE CAR REALLY HIGH UP. This makes the angle a lot better for the removal/install.
That's what I thought also
Old 05-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

You'll find plenty of support for doing it either way.

Really, it depends on what your pulling facilities are; how much room you have; how much mess you can tolerate; and such as that.

Personally I prefer to pull the engine by itself and leave the trans, but that's only because I hate dealing with a big heavy unbalanced thing dripping fluids. Others, as you can see, have their priorities in a different order, which is fine. There's not really a "right" way, only, a way that minimizes the things you dislike more than other things.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I'm with sofa, I hate having to deal with the back end of that thing, I prefer to pull the engine and leave the trans.... or if it's a manual, I will even pull the trans first, then the engine. I'm sure it would be a lot easier to bolt the engine/trans up outside of the car and slide it all in, but it's just my personal preference, even if may be more work.

Another note, I found that some engine pullers are too short to pull everything out the front, so I have to pull my engine with the puller coming in from the side of the car. That would make pulling the engine/trans assembly a nightmare.
The following users liked this post:
HeavyChevy383 (04-17-2022)