Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Intake Manifold is Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Intake Manifold is Cracked

So I have this project car i'm working on and i recently found that the intake manifold is cracked and leaks coolant. I tried to find a new one and its the TPI system so the only replacements i could find where $900 and that seems like a lot for a system i wanted to toss anyway. So is there more options than just a $900 TPI intake? What would be a better system to swap to? Also the car itself has high miles so Idk how much stress it could take, what could i replace to make it more solid and put out more power? I wanted it to be a mild street build since it will be a daily driver. Also how long do these engines last on average and when should i start looking into a new engine? The car has had regular maintenance with oil changes every 3k or so, but it did sit for like 2 years. It's my first project car and I haven't had much mechanical experience. I can submit any pictures or other info as needed.

It's a 1991 Trans Am Convertible with a 5.0 TPI system with 205k on it for general info.

Also i'm new to this forum so is there a app or something i can browse using my phone?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Base 91 'bird
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.27 & PBR
Re: Intake Manifold is Cracked

Welcome to TGO. Post pics of the crack. May be repairable maybe not. Either way it could be expensive. There are search functions on the various boards so you may find one for sale here. And try eBay and Craigslist.