Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

LT1 External Fuel Pump Issues! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LT1 External Fuel Pump Issues! Help!

Hi guys,

Need help all the way from Australia. I have an LT1 -circa 95 (not sure as it was imported in a buggy frame from the USA with no history). Anyway, these engines are very rare over here and i am having an issue as follows….

The off road buggy runs a fuel cell with -10 lines with a filter before and after an Aeromotive External fuel pump. It is running a new standalone 'Hot rod' wiring harness which includes the fuel pump relay from the computer then the Grey wire from the relay to the pump. It has a fuel regulator and -8 return line to tank. It also has a brand new Opti, ICM and plugs and leads.

The issue is i will hit the ignition, the pump will prime and then when i crank it, it will start and run fine, i can drive it as normal but if i shut it off the pump will not prime or run. The engine will just crank but there is no pump running at all. If i let it sit for a little while the pump will prime as normal and the car will start.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Should i just run a standalone wiring system/ relay for the fuel pump or should i double relay the system and let the pump get it's power from the battery. I am getting desperate on this as i have an event coming up in a couple of months and don't want to be left stranded on the track.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc,
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 327
Re: LT1 External Fuel Pump Issues! Help!

any power at pump when problem occurs?