Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Is it the throttle or fuel injectors? Or something else

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 L OHV V6...Maybe a 350 one day
Transmission: Good ol 5 speed
Is it the throttle or fuel injectors? Or something else

Okay guys. I love my camaro but what happened last night was not cool. I drove my moms car to work this morning because of last night. Heres what happened.
I left turn down a winding road and start accelerating. Im shifting and accelerating. 3rd gear is in and im on my way to 40 when suddenly the gas pedal turns into a calf exercise machine. Im pressing and pressing but no throttle response. My car is only coasting. So I use the remaining momentum to ease into the turning lane and shut my car off. Then turn back one. Wallah!! We have throttle. Then I make my way home.
It does this sometimes but usually it can be corrected by depressing the clutch and sloooowly easing the gas in, and releasing the clutch. I took it to "A & M transmissions" and they said my fuel injectors are rusty and need to be replaced. Now I understand they might need to be replaced but I believe that this issue comes from my throttle.
Let me give you guys some extra details so yall can help me pinpoint the cause....
· When it happens usually my car gets all jerky and the gas pedal no longer functions. However, when I push the clutch in and then press the gas, it revs the engine. So I slowly balance them to get my car moving.
· The fuel filter, fuel pump, distributor, distributor assembly and spark plugs are all new. They were replaced after I first encountered this issue.
· I didnt have this issue until my dad adjusted the idle.
· I personally believe that Its just the throttle cable getting stuck.
· At the times when the gas no longer works. When I take my foot completely off I get a little power just at the top of the pedal. Then it goes back useless.
Thank you guys in advance.
Also I cant just shift and speed the f*** out lol I have very little power coming from the engine after 1st. It takes a while of holding the gas to get anywhere speed wise.

Last edited by Gunner242; 12-28-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 L OHV V6...Maybe a 350 one day
Transmission: Good ol 5 speed
Re: Is it the throttle or fuel injectors? Or something else

1245 dollars later and I've fixed the issue. To anyone having this issue, if you haven't replaced the throttle position sensor..I suggest doing so. I was conned by my local shop for 1200 for a new distributor and fuel injector assembly and as soon as I pulled out the lot, it happened again. Then a few months later, I decided to wake up early before work, and head to autozone. Got a new tps sensor and filter for 45 bucks. Replaced it. It was a very simple procedure. It ran like a dream lol. No more shuddering or stalling.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac
Re: Is it the throttle or fuel injectors? Or something else

Oh the value of testing before we replace parts. If you tell me that the dip weasel counter person at Autohone found the problem with a code scan and/or an uneducated guess, I'll choke. The mechanic who did all the work on your car should have caught the TPS issue on a road test and a simple sweep test of the sensor. It's a shame for the shop that he or she didn't. You really should let the shop know what happened.

I'll admit, I've had very intermittent TPS sensors trick me before. That is now one of the first things I look for when I'm given an issue like yours.

One problem is, and I'm assuming here, that your distributor and injectors were most likely original and probably on inspection looked like crap. It's hard to condemn the call to replace them on a loss of power complaint. Still, missing the TPS fault sucks for that mechanic. At least now you won't have a 25 year old distributor or injectors causing you issues down the road.