Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

suction noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 camaro RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
suction noise

I have put a three inch dryer tube from my intake to the foglight bracket. Ever since I did this, my intake makes a loud suction noise. It sounds pretty cool, but i dont know if its good or bad. Do i have to increase the fuel pressure or anything, or is the suction noise normal?
Old 12-23-2001, 10:56 PM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
Blue,

There should really be no noise associated with this (unless you're driving next to a Mitsubishi, in which case the sucking noise is completely normal).

There is a chance that you inadvertently disconnected a vacuum line or the PCV when you moved the air cleaner housing to install the intake tube. Repair the leak as soon as possible,since running lean can cause valve and cylinder damage.

Another couple things to consider about the fresh air intake:

Dirt, debris, and road moisture will tend to collect in the tubing, so it may be a good idea to create a couple of drain holes in the lowest parts of the tube as it routes toward the air cleaner intake. You should also make sure you have a good seal on the filter element in the housing. The fresh air intake is a good idea, but be aware of the dust, debris, and moisture that comes with that cool air, and be prepared to deal with it.
Old 12-24-2001, 12:23 AM

...i have to disagree... i think that it's entirely normal to be hearing a sucking noise with an extended intake tube... i put a cold air intake on my dodge avenger over the summer and you can hear the thing sucking like crazy (...besides being real slow that is ) And on my camaro w/ open air element you can easily hear the "sucking" noise - try taking a straw and sucking real hard... hear that noise?? it's the same concept, just on a bigger scale. The reason you dont notice the noise on a regular stock intake setup for any car is that the air filter and the entire intake setup are somewhat restrictive and rather good at muffling the sound...if you dont believe me, simply unbolt the intake at the throttle body and you'll hear a difference....
..so in other words dont worry, its normal.
Old 12-24-2001, 01:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i believe its normal too,

but i have a question
why is it that if u remove a resonator box on most 4 and some 6 cylinders, and u go to WOT with low RPMS and high Load, its makes that LOUD roar sound that is ever so common with rice. and its NOT comming from the exhaust, its coming from the intake, this happend on my old acura and on my friends corolla, but my other friend has a jeep and we tried it, and its jsut a little louder, and my car has a gutted air box and i don't here this noise at all... does it have someing to do with valve timming ??
Old 12-24-2001, 03:29 AM

this is geared toward the induction of dirt/debris into the intake

get some screen from your local Home Improvement store and place it at the entrance to your new dryer hose or whathaveyou. Starbucks Coffee sells french presses that have a screen perfect for that, its about 4 inches diameter
Old 12-24-2001, 12:18 PM
Hg
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Z
Engine: 355 in the works
Transmission: 700R4
BAK12484: What year is the Avenger, and is it the V6 or the four banger? We have a '99 Sebring LXi w/2.5L V6. I think it might be mine when I go to college. If your intake was for the V6, where did you find it? Or did you make your own? So far the only performance increasing thing I've found for it was a module, don't remember what brand though...
Old 12-24-2001, 02:45 PM

Hg: Mine is a '96 Avenger, V6 - - I orderd the cold air intake from www.dreamspeed2.com It was faily easily to install...just had to move the horn cuz the air filter sits right inside the front fender... also, you should check out www.asog.net as they have a ton of stuff on modifying avenger/sebrings... be sure to check out their BBS

...and to add to TBIfly's comment about putting a filter in front, that is a great idea...just make sure you secure it firmly or else it might come loose and get sucked up into the intake.... perhaps make some sort of "cap" that fits over the filter and intake tube, holding the filter in place.