Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

My first 3rd gen Camaro - Just not running good

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first 3rd gen Camaro - Just not running good

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I just bought an 85 Z28 at an auction for $400 a couple of weeks ago. I was thrilled, and I thought it was a steal. I had no idea how much was wrong with it lol. I was hoping I could get some help diagnosing my issues. The motor is all stock as far as I know. 305 TPI

I also bought an 82 RS 305 for $200 just to have a parts car.

Engine problems:
  • Idle - Sometimes idles well, between 500 and 750. But most of the time it will not idle. If I press the gas and rev it at all then let back off, it dies. Usually once it is warmed up, it doesn't idle at all. My foot has to be on the gas at least a tiny bit to get it to start and keep it running. I have tried adjusting the idle screw but this is not the issue.
  • Running rough - I have to accelerate very slow. If I press the gas too far, it starts cutting out/backfiring. Reminds me of the 2 step launch control I had on my last Integra but I know it's just running like crap lol. Under 1000 RPM, it runs rough. The car shakes around. When I rev it to >1500 it runs smoother.

When I try checking the timing, the light does not work well. It isn't getting a strong signal from the spark plug wire... I have tried 3 timing lights, one of them brand new. I can only get one old one to work a little bit and it seems like the timing is advanced 2°. Could the issue with the timing lights mean that the spark is really weak? Could this cause some of my issues?

Other Problems:
  • Brakes - Rear brakes are very weak. As is, I have to put the car in neutral to stop. This is because the brakes are weak and also because the car doesn't idle, so I have to hold it >1000 RPM. I have bled all of the brakes twice now. I will probably do it again tonight. How do I know if the master cylinder is the problem?
  • Gauges - Gauge fuse blows immediately when it's put in. Volt meter, Fuel gauge, and Speedometer do not work. I tried pulling the dash cluster out of my parts car but I can't figure out what's still holding it in. I have removed the dash pad and the gauges and still can't pull it out.

If anyone could offer some advice that'd be awesome. Looking to get it on the road in the next couple of weeks hopefully. I mostly need help with getting the motor running right.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 GTA, 88 GTA, 92 TA, 72 RS SS
Engine: 350, 350, 305, 396
Transmission: T56, 700r4, 700r4, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23, 3.23, 3.73
Re: My first 3rd gen Camaro - Just not running good

First thing you should do is check all the vacuum lines and connections makes sure they are all good. Then check fuel pressure and make sure its within spec should be around 36psi. Also when checking the timing make sure you disconnect the EST wire before trying to set it. It's a single brown wire that sits over by the blower motor on the firewall.

Once you got that stuff worked out you can move on to the IAC and TPS adjustment procedures located in the FAQ section on this site.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My first 3rd gen Camaro - Just not running good

Originally Posted by battman
First thing you should do is check all the vacuum lines and connections makes sure they are all good.
I did this and found one thing disconnected... I don't know what it's called. I would take a picture of it but my phone is broken. It's close to the driver side of the firewall. It's a little thing that is inline hooked up between two vacuum lines, and it has a little spot on the side of it to hook another vacuum line up. But there is nothing hooked up to it and I don't see any nearby disconnected vacuum lines. So it's like a T. I don't know where it is supposed to hook up to. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?