Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Weird Carbureted 305 Fuel Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Carbureted 305 Fuel Problem..

I have an 87' camaro sport coupe with a carbureted 305 and a stock 700r4 tranny. This car is daily driven by an inexperienced teenager (ME!) and can't figure out whats wrong with it. Lately there have been mornings where the car starts right up like it normally does, but proceeds to act like its out of gas. If you hold the motor to 3500 RPM or higher you can keep it running, but the second you let off the gas it dies. When this happens, the car turns over but doesn't even try to start back up. When you put more gas in the tank or on the carb SOMETIMES it will run perfectly fine but still run pretty weak. (Although most of the time it won't run until the next day.) I can't figure out for the life of me what this problem is, and it's getting very annoying while also making me have to find a different way to school. I will gladly take any suggestions you guys have, as well as questions about stuff I didn't mention already.
Thanks, Alex
Old 03-04-2017, 08:33 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: Weird Carbureted 305 Fuel Problem..

Is the choke operating properly?
Old 03-04-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Has the fuel filter at the inlet of the carb ever been replaced? If not that, then check the fuel pump.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:38 PM

Me and my dad are currently going through most of the fuel system. We are going to change the fuel filter, and the previous owner has supposedly replaced everything on the fuel system but the carburetor itself. (It starts faster than most fuel injected cars so I believe him) The car does like to go lean and backfire sometimes though
Old 03-04-2017, 05:57 PM

UPDATE: Problem Solved!

So it turns out the previous owner DID replace most of the fuel system, but they put down a cheap thin rubber hose that was kinked in like 4 spots! I am also having a guy sell me a quadrajet instead of messing with that electronic carburetor that came from the factory so I shouldn't have any problems with the fuel system anymore. Thanks for the input guys
Old 03-04-2017, 06:08 PM

The problem with converting the the 4MV from an E4ME is that the ECM will not like it. It is likely that the ECM will enter a backup fuel and spark more ("limp home mode") and retard the timing as well as turning on the SES lamp. The result will be poor fuel economy and all the performance of a three-cylinder Suzuki Swift.

Repairing and adjusting the E4ME is no more difficult than properly tuning the 4MV.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vader
The problem with converting the the 4MV from an E4ME is that the ECM will not like it. It is likely that the ECM will enter a backup fuel and spark more ("limp home mode") and retard the timing as well as turning on the SES lamp. The result will be poor fuel economy and all the performance of a three-cylinder Suzuki Swift.

Repairing and adjusting the E4ME is no more difficult than properly tuning the 4MV.
sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I didn't think my car even had any electronics like that! I was fairly sure the only real electonics on my car were the radio and headlights
Old 03-04-2017, 09:23 PM

No one here thinks anyone is an idiot. If you're new to the systems, there's no way you could be expected to know them from 30 years ago. 1987 was the last model year a carb was available on F-Body V-8s. EFI was available four years before that and there was overlap, depending upon how the vehicle was ordered. All of them used the ECM for timing advance, TCC lockup on automatics, and several other operating functions.

Fortunately, the resources you need are right here. Perform a quick search for "E4ME" and you'll turn up a wealth of data and instructions. For anything you don't find, just ask. You might discover the ECM controlled mixture solenoid actually makes it easier to set up the carb properly.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vader
No one here thinks anyone is an idiot. If you're new to the systems, there's no way you could be expected to know them from 30 years ago. 1987 was the last model year a carb was available on F-Body V-8s. EFI was available four years before that and there was overlap, depending upon how the vehicle was ordered. All of them used the ECM for timing advance, TCC lockup on automatics, and several other operating functions.

Fortunately, the resources you need are right here. Perform a quick search for "E4ME" and you'll turn up a wealth of data and instructions. For anything you don't find, just ask. You might discover the ECM controlled mixture solenoid actually makes it easier to set up the carb properly.
Ok so after reading many threads about this thing I realized that almost every problem I have with this car is related to this stupid carb! So now I have a new question.. Where in the world do i find parts to rebuild one of these things? None of the parts stores have anything and I'm scared to buy anything like that off of ebay.
Oh, by the way thanks for being so polite! The only car I've actually worked on was old enough it didn't have A/C or power anything. I am slowly but surely learning more and more about these cars thanks to you guys!
Old 03-05-2017, 06:56 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

Rock Auto

when you get ready to tackle anything post up. we can provide some help.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by naf
Rock Auto

when you get ready to tackle anything post up. we can provide some help.
Ok guys, I will definitely do that. It might be a while now though because I learned in going to have to replace everything from the idler arms to the brakes, so it'll be a little bit before I get the money to mess with it
Thanks For The Help Guys!!!
Old 03-05-2017, 09:19 AM

Check your local sources for a Walker Part No. 151045A - The kit for an E4ME rebuild.

You may also need the adjustment tools. You can manufacture your own, borrow some, or look up OTC Part No. 7667 or equivalent.

Adjustment will also require a dwell/duty cycle meter.

Last edited by Vader; 03-05-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:29 AM

Good reference thread:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carb...e-rebuild.html
Old 03-06-2017, 06:55 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

and if you post your plans and parts list for the other work we can likely save you some $