Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Problems with acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:25 PM
On Probation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Problems with acceleration

So I have a TPI 87 IROC-Z 305...problem. When I go out of first the car sometimes tries to jerk on me apon medium to light acceleration...not so much apon hard acceleration. When shifting into second at slow to medium speeds it also jerks. Its usually like a 1 bump, 2 bump, 3 bump then it drives fine and runs great...if I speed up in 1st and or 2nd then slow back down it jerks a bit as well. I had a fuel pressure test done on the car a while back and it did fine...and has a brand new fuel filter. This happens mostly when the car is cold and is less when its warmed up...and it seemed recently with some ambient pressure change outside it did it worse than ever. The engine has been overhauled recently...and the car starts up great everytime! About 2 months ago I went to a car show on a very hot day. The car started right up but it seemed like it was starving for fuel...gave it some gas and that was the end of that...then on the highway the check engine light came on about 4 different times...went off and I'v put about 200 miles on the car since then and the check engine light has NOT came back on...I heard that some of these K&N filters have caused issues. I run one...I just put it in about 5 months ago from the factory and I got the car like 6 months ago...so I cant remember how it did before the switch from standard air filters to these. Any ideas...fuel pump issues, injector issue come to mind...and as mentioned the oil from the filter getting onto the MAF sensor. I plan on cleaning the MAF soon to see if that solves the issue...could it be rear end related as well or transmission related? The shift from 1st to 2nd does seem like you have to put more effort into it and its definitely a feeling that I wonder if it was like that factory fresh...also coming out of stop lights etc the car idles great...but it feels like it abnormally needs more throttle input as so its not going to stall coming out of first...its really weird. Like the car runs great and idles great, but when it comes out of 1st its unpredictable on how much fuel input it needs...like its different half the time. It leaves me of the medium and long rev until I'm out of gear. I don't drive it like a bat out of hell all the time and enjoy easing it around sometimes. Just seeing if anyone has had this experience or some ideas of what it potentially could be...its rather annoying. Sorry I didn't add spaces on the paragraphs...computer is being dumb. The engine is all original btw with no modifications.