Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Newly purchased 85 Z28.. many questions. Where would you start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Iroc-Z Z28
Engine: 350 L98 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 3.27
Newly purchased 85 Z28.. many questions. Where would you start?

Hello all,

I am a previous owner of an 87 that was in great shape. I sold that car but one passed by me that i couldn't pass up. I got the car for $600, I'm hoping that I can fix it up just enough to enjoy it. Even if it has some less than ideal issues, if they're workable it could be fine! The engine was swapped for a non original sbc 305. I have taken and attached a few pictures, because to me this engine bay looks like a mess and sort of a hack job. I want to present it to you all, to tell me what you can see that I should address that I may have not seen.

So far things that I've noticed/know are wrong:

brakes dont work at all. The pedal is very easy to press and you get about 5% braking (just enough to stop). Since this is a major issue I am likely to have a mechanic friend fix this for me before doing anything else to the car.

Next issue, I noticed that the radiator did not have any fluid filled when I removed the cap before giving it a start today. I was added 2 gallons of water, and I could then see the level at the rad cap. I didn't see anything leak out once I started the motor but I did watch the temp and it rose up to the red (although pretty slowly) and I shut it off once it did. One thing to say is that the radiator in this car is not original, and it has a clutch fan which I'm not sure belongs or not (my old one was dual electric fans). Could it just be bone dry of coolant and I need to add more? Would the radiator level drop once starting and I needed to continue adding? Another note, the fan appears to be pulling air away from the radiator rather than blowing towards it, is this normal? I also attached some photos where there is coolant pooling up at the thermostat / housing. I have read this is very common among SBCs.

When i start the vehicle, it struggles to idle and will due out. If you keep it slightly revved for a few, it will idle just fine (although slightly rough to me, but again no idea what cam might be in this etc... I'm thinking the carb might need a tune? Is this easy or something I should get a mechanic on as well?

I recognize i may have been sparse on certain details as admittedly I'm not a mechanic, but I have a good technological understanding and follow directions well so I'd like to use this car and forum as a learning experience so I will do my best to get any other information required to help with any of these issues, I just don't yet know what more I should do to start tackling these issues.

Edit: will attach the photos later as I can't figure out how on mobile

Old 08-11-2018, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 88 Sport Coupe Camaro
Engine: V6 2.8
Transmission: Borg-Warner T-5
Axle/Gears: RPO/GU6: 3.42
Re: Newly purchased 85 Z28.. many questions. Where would you start?

Brakes.

Burp air from cooling system.
Water alone is not a suitable coolant.

Confirm Spark, Timing, Compression, Fuel

Plug the coolant leaks

Repair the vacuum leaks

Pull the codes

That should keeep you busy until dinner time.

Learn how to work on your car yourself.
You will quickly abandon the project if you start paying shop rates for others to do the work.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Newly purchased 85 Z28.. many questions. Where would you start?

My list would be similar:

Brakes. DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR until they are PERFECT!!!! This may involve pads calipers & rotors (duh), MC, rubber hoses, steel lines, booster; whatever isn't PERFECT, just replace it (it's CHEEEEEEP)

A good thorough quarter car wash under the hood

Find & fix the coolant leaks; drain flush & refill the system with NEW 50-50 to 70-30 DISTILLED (not tap, not reverse-osmosis-filtered) ratio of water to green AF

Alignment & chassis lube

Change ALL fluids (oil, trans, rear, PS)

Tune-up: plugs, cap, rotor, maybe wires

Find & fix any other leaks; oil, PS, etc.

Tires

Shocks & struts, sway bar end links & bushings, maybe springs