Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Runs great but no power

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: Runs great but no power

Originally Posted by T4Turtle
Yes I have my power back under more than 40% throttle.

Setting this way I used a vacuum gauge connected direct to intake vacuum, then advance timingby twisting the distributor counter clockwise and watch the vacuum and stop at the maximum value then back off a little. Be sure to have EST wire disconnected while doing this, then clear the code 42 you should get from running with EST disconnected. You will want to have a scan tool to watch for knock afterwards.
so you don't actually know what your case timing is set at?
Old 04-25-2020, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Fiero GT
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 5 speed Getrag

This power issue is solved. The mufflers were internally collapsed restricting the exhaust flow. I did do an exhaust back flow test but obviously this should have been tested under load. I would have had to setup a camera to be able to record the gauge under load, wish I had tested this way it would have saved me a lot of time.

Jim at TPiS figured this out. I stored my car there over the winter as I needed my garage space for remodeling. I told him to take a look at it and he could not get it to go over 3100 rpm on the dyno. He saw the mufflers bulging and cut them out and put straight pipes in place of them. Then he tuned it on the dyno and I now have a normal 350 tpi engine and it is a blast to drive again!

With the 2" exhaust it is not that loud and no droning on the freeway or at any rpm. I am going to get a look at what I have to work with for mufflers as it is a pretty tight space where the old ones go and they were very small mufflers.

I just wanted to put some closure to this thread for someone searching for similar power issues in an otherwise good running vehicle.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts

Wow, I don't think we would have ever diagnosed that over the internet... glad you got it solved finally!
Old 05-04-2020, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Fiero GT
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 5 speed Getrag

Thanks ULTM8Z, you were a lot of help an are a great contributor to this forum.