Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Confusion: which oil pump drive shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confusion: which oil pump drive shaft?

Hi All, I have built an engine using a Dart SHP block, AFR heads etc., the block is a 400 with 350 mains. The document for the block says it uses a standard 350 oil pump drive shaft but the shaft I have has a sleeve at the pump end which doesn't fit down the hole at the bottom where the oil pump drive is. It seems like it might fit if I remove the sleeve or get a shaft without the sleeve. I see there are three types, some with a sleeve, some without, and some with that are wasted in the middle (for a standard 400 small block I think).

Does anyone know if I can just use the one without the sleeve? Any other thoughts?

Cheers
Old 11-05-2018, 09:16 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: Confusion: which oil pump drive shaft?

I never liked the plastic/nylon sleeve. I use an aftermarket pump drive shaft which is all metal. The sleeve portion is part of the pump drive shaft.

Not really sure what you're trying to do but the pump drive shaft should snap into the sleeve which also snaps onto the pump. The pump and drive shaft are installed together from the bottom (oil pan needs to come off).
Old 11-06-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am

I always go with the metal shaft over the plastic/nylon.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Melling IS-55E

NO drive rod sleeve "fits down into the hole". You put the rod in from the bottom before putting in the pump. (or, put it in with the pump)

Never seen or heard of one with a sleeve... sounds like something that wouldn't work. Speaking strictly as someone who has seen what happens when the crappy nylon type breaks.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:09 PM

That's the type of shaft I have only I have the ARP one and the sleeve (that's what they call it on the website) doesn't have the pin in it, it is free to rotate. Usually I just drop it down the distributer hole onto the oil pump shaft. The SHP block has a different casting down there and the shaft on the oil pump is in a hole. I think that without the sleeve it will fit, and there are shafts that don't have it.

The one I have is on the right, the one on the left says it fits all 350s, the one on the left I think will fit. I thought someone on here must've used the Dart block and tell me which shaft they used.

I'll try to take a picture.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:49 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

Doesn't matter what block anyone uses. The shafts are designed to go up from the bottom, not dropped down from the top.

The only ones that could drop down from the top are ones without a sleeve because the sleeve is stuck on the pump.

Get rid of the plastic/nylon sleeve design and buy a (pick a brand) metal shaft with incorporated sleeve. Drop the oil pump, install shaft on pump and reinstall the oil pump.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

The "intermediate shaft", if the sleeve is on it sleeve whether metal or plastic, won't "drop down" to the pump. The sleeve won't fit through the hole. At least not in stock blocks; never built a SHP block but I doubt it's very much different in that regard.

As Alky said, the only way that can work, is if the sleeve is already installed on the pump, not on the rod.

You can use ANY drive rod you want if you install it and the pump correctly, as described in both his posts and mine.

I highly recommend the Melling one because it's about 1/3 the price of the ARP one and works just as well. It was introduced as the stock replacement for some specific application; probably Corvette. Been using it exclusively for over 30 yrs.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

I got the Melling one and a matching Melling "shark tooth" oil pump for my build. The included instructions specify to install the shaft onto the pump prior to installing the pump, and indeed the shaft "snaps" onto the pump input shaft. It was plainly obvious that the shaft would not fit through the hole in the block on my stock 98 Vortec block. Besides the instructions made it clear that the shaft is to be installed to the pump prior to fitting the pump to the engine.

The Melling pump, pickup, and shaft appear to be excellent quality, USA made. No complaints here.

GD
Old 11-07-2018, 02:13 PM

OK, thanks for your help guys.

Cheers