Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1989 Camaro rs 2.8 acceleration problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 Camaro rs 2.8 acceleration problems

Alright so my car is a 1989 camaro 2.8 v6 manual I bought this thing probably 2 months ago and it has been my daily driver for the past 2 months and it has had no major problems. Until one day I got in it and hit my radiator fan switch that I wired in because the relay didn't work when I got the car. Normally the fan makes a little noise when I turn it on but this time it made no noise so I got out and checked to make sure It was working and sure enough it was not. I then checked voltage at the plug, it had 12v so I figured it was the motor. So I got a new motor and plugged that in still nothing. Then I put a test light on the plug and it would barley light up. I then traced the problem back to the Fan relay on the firewall. Then when pulled I it out I noticed that it looked like one of the plugs had been getting hot because the plastic around the terminal had melted slightly one of the terminals also looked to be corroded. so I replaced the relay and put the fan back in then went for a drive thinking all was well. Here is where the plot thickens. After the car got warmed up it began to stutter felt like the engine was cutting out under acceleration. So I managed to limp it home thinking that it was just random luck that the fan broke right when the engine started running rough so I then replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs , plug wires, ignition coil and the EGR valve nothing much changed. I might add that it runs perfectly while it is cold and It doesn't always run bad just random times it starts acting up. Anyway after disconnecting the battery for a couple hours I hooked it back up and it seemed to be fixed for about 3 days of driving all around. Then just the other day it started doing it again randomly on the way to work I made it to work and then it was totally fine on the drive home but I have been scared to drive around with this problem not being resolved. Taking the fan out is the simplest job there could be and the only thing I changed is the fan relay which I don't understand how that could affect the engines performance. One other thing I noticed after the day it started running bad again was that the hose clamp on the intake pipe was not even tightened down.( where the pipe connects to the throttle body) So my question is what could I have done when changing the fan to make the engine run like crap and could the loose intake pipe be my problem. Could I have broken the Maf sensor when bumping the fan around and could that cause the problems. I don't think it is just a coincidence that the engine started running like crap right after I changed the Fan and relay. Thanks for the input. Oh and one other thing when it does start running bad It won't idle well and if you hit the gas off idle the engine shakes noticeably before the engine will rev. When driving it almost feels like I am really bad at driving stick but then it persists even after you are at cruising speed. although seems to run better the less throttle you give it.

Last edited by Cole1989; 01-17-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:24 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P
Re: 1989 Camaro rs 2.8 acceleration problems

I had this happen on my 2.8 Sport Coupe- the fan motor died because I had it wired to run all the time. I had no trouble replacing it tho, and helpful hint- there's a direct fit temp switch that can bolt in the back of the engine block where the backup stock temp switch (kicks in at 227F) bolts in that'll ground the relay at 197-207F and kick the fan on. I did this on my car with a new fan motor and it would kick on perfectly- I got it from Advance Auto but if you want to do that on your car I can find the part number for you.
I doubt you could've broke the maf just tightening something down, but is the connection for the MAF plugged in tight? All other connections good? Did you check the car for any trouble codes?
Old 01-18-2019, 11:30 PM

Yeah that would be a easy way to do it, that part number would be helpful. The connection is tight on the MAF but I haven't checked for codes.
Thanks for the input that is a way better way of wiring the fan then what I was going to do.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:14 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P

No prob- it's sold by Advance Auto, GP Sorensen FS6! Let us know if you can pull any codes