Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Ignition timing issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ignition timing issue

I have been trying to tune my carbed 327, and it seems like it runs okay, considering that I'm just beginning to get this build dialed in.
The build is close to stock with a 204@.050" cam and 8.6:1 CR and shorty headers. I have a Quadrajet and an HEI
I have been getting the feeling that I made an error when I was setting up my timing pointer to it's mark, because it seems to idle best at 45deg advanced with manifold vacuum hose attached.
So just to keep things moving along, I remembered something I was told; and that was, if you don't have a timing light, you can set the idle advance with a vaccum gauge by turning it to the point where it's at max vacuum.
Well I did that, and then double checked it with a light and it's still wanting to idle at 45deg.
So until I re calibrate my timing marks, i'm playing it by ear... or by smell.
So ignoring the #s ... I'm getting a smell from the exhaust that makes my eyes water and burns my nostrils.
I leaned the mixture... When it's running rich, it smells like the choke is on, sort of.
What is it an indication of (timing-wise) when the exhaust burns your eyes? Anything?
I'm just viewing this as an educational experience for now
It's good to know of alternative methods when the #s don't seem right

Thanks
Old 02-14-2019, 10:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 LG4 4bbl
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: Ignition timing issue

While we wait for Sofakingdom's response (this one is right up his alley)

1. get the car warm
2. disconnect the vac hose
3. set the base timing so that the engine will run probably 0 degrees or whatever the stock number was (forget the idle quality for now)
4. screw the air bleed screws on either side of the carb inwards gently until they begin to bottom out, then back out about 2-3 turns (youll probably have to increase the Idle screw at the same time or it will conk out)
5. turn the air bleed screws counter clockwise bit by bit and you should hear the idle increase (you may have to screw out the idle screw at the same time) - when it stops increasing thats about the sweet spot
6. use the idle screw to set the appropriate idle (sticker above your head under the hood)
7. reconnect the vac hose and confirm the idle speed is correct.

Thats the base point of running the car, the rest of the tune is by feel and hearing. Take it for a run, plant your foot, if it feels like it could go a bit more timing, get out advance it slightly, boot it again - if it can go more, give it more timing, if it pings then back it off a bit. All the while you will have to make minor adjustments to the idle screw or you risk having some run-on/dieseling.

also - after all this you may find yourself having to re-set the secondary air door spring - its less daunting than it sounds but theres plenty of info on here to help you out

Last edited by zed-028; 02-14-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 LG4 4bbl
Transmission: TH700R4

After re-reading i imagine your timing tab is off. 45 degrees sound much more like a total timing figure as opposed to a base one. In that case - if the idle feels good at that timing then it is good. Play with the carb tuning from there
Old 02-14-2019, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by zed-028
While we wait for Sofakingdom's response (this one is right up his alley)

1. get the car warm
2. disconnect the vac hose
3. set the base timing so that the engine will run probably 0 degrees or whatever the stock number was (forget the idle quality for now)
4. screw the air bleed screws on either side of the carb inwards gently until they begin to bottom out, then back out about 2-3 turns (youll probably have to increase the Idle screw at the same time or it will conk out)
5. turn the air bleed screws counter clockwise bit by bit and you should hear the idle increase (you may have to screw out the idle screw at the same time) - when it stops increasing thats about the sweet spot
6. use the idle screw to set the appropriate idle (sticker above your head under the hood)
7. reconnect the vac hose and confirm the idle speed is correct.

Thats the base point of running the car, the rest of the tune is by feel and hearing. Take it for a run, plant your foot, if it feels like it could go a bit more timing, get out advance it slightly, boot it again - if it can go more, give it more timing, if it pings then back it off a bit. All the while you will have to make minor adjustments to the idle screw or you risk having some run-on/dieseling.

also - after all this you may find yourself having to re-set the secondary air door spring - its less daunting than it sounds but theres plenty of info on here to help you out
Thanks for that info - That's helpful
I've been doing that, It seems to be a sensible approach, but it's good to hear a second opinion.
The smell is bothering me. It's really an irritating smell at idle - Burning eyes
As I mentioned earlier, this is a good learning experience for me, because not being to rely on the numbers due to my timing marks being off, it forces me to get more real with what's going on.

What I have done is basically as you described;
I advance the distributor til the idle quality is good enough for the engine to idle fairly smoothly, and no further than that. At that point the vac gauge is just getting to 16"
If it's retarded any lower than that the vac gauge drops and the engine chugs and wants to die.
So when I get to that point I begin adjusting idle mix and speed...
But no matter whether the idle mix screws are lean or rich, the exhaust stinks

I'm looking forward to getting to the point where the primary is adjusted and its time to play with the secondaries!

Last edited by ironhead88; 02-15-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Am I reading this right that you have a 327 with a stock-ish cam and you are running 45° advance at idle? You should be using half that amount of advance. You're probably running almost entirely off of spark advance. When you are starting it up from a cold start are you having long crankings?
Old 02-24-2019, 11:24 AM

After reading a few replies here, it became clear to me that I needed to double check my work.
I thought it was the timing marks, at first, but I believe that some plug wires were out of sequence.
Amazingly the engine ran smoothly but it had a tendency to ping - BAD - I thought I had dropped a piece of hardware down the intake.
And the exhaust smelled like formaldehyde
So I disassembled the ignition - Double checked timing marks - Didn't ever find out what I actually did wrong, which frustrates me
But when I reassembled it everything was fine.

Thanks for contributing

Last edited by ironhead88; 02-24-2019 at 11:28 AM.