Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

"Proper" brackets and belts LG4 1986

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.23
"Proper" brackets and belts LG4 1986

I've got a 1986 Z28, LG4, 5 speed. I bought as a "basket case" pile of parts and finally assembling it. The previous owner had put a 350 in it, and used the old-school accessories and belts. All torn apart, and some items missing. Anyone got any engine pics that would show how stuff mounted, etc? It looks like the A/C compressor goes on the passenger side? All the stuff that came with the car were 60s, 70s vintage and the car apparently came as a hybrid v-belts/ribbed belt setup
Old 06-14-2020, 10:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: "Proper" brackets and belts LG4 1986

AC goes on the driver's side.

The V/ribbed setup is the same as the all-V, except that the WP/alt belt is the flat ribbed kind. 86 & 87 only, therefore a little harder to track down if you're missing any of that. Other than that they're interchangeable. If you're missing pulleys for it, you can use the earlier V only and it'll all bolt right up.

Here's what the all-V system looks like. Yours is the same except for the one belt and the sheaves of the pulleys that the one belt runs over. Note also, this is a L69, so it has the electric fan; yours would have come with a clutch fan and a big gnarly shroud. Best to replace that Stone Age crap with electric.

Alt is on the pass side; front of head, outer bolt hole right above the block. It uses a long bolt, probably 5 - 6" or so, a kind of tubular spacer that bolts to the back of the alt, and a AIR system bracket goes under that, which if not there, you need to space it out with washers accordingly. A "pistol" looking bracket goes from the WP (2 bolts on the pass side, not the WP bolts themselves) to the front of the lower alt mount, and the long bolt described above goes through that before the alt. The bracket on top of the alt goes to a bolt on a sort of tab on top of the WP and a bolt on the front of the intake, then the adjustment bolt for the alt goes in its slot.

Driver's side brackets are more complicated.

The lower PS bracket goes on first. It goes over the exh manifold, so if you have headers, you have to use a longer bolt and make a spacer to simulate the thickness of the manifold.

On mine I used the OE exh man stud thing and a spacer. The car had Edelbrock TES on it at the time these pics were taken, later it got SLPs. It was "enhanced" California smog compliant and legal at this time.

Good luck. You can use the brackets from just about any body style in the 82-87 range as far as I know, they're all the same (or at least close enough).

Last edited by sofakingdom; 06-14-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Read this post: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...ket-setup.html
It will add to what Sofa posted above.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:07 PM

Well, that's pretty well what I thought, but not quite fitting for me. Here's why: the alternator setup you described is what I have. What I think of as the "classic" SBC setup. That same system.has been on every engine I've ever had and I had extra alternator brackets laying around. And while I'm missing part of the PS brackets (And pulley) I kinda figured that out as well. Previous owner was, apparently not using the A/C and had a single groove pulley on the water pump and no crank pulley. I found a 3-groove crank pulley and 2 groove water pump pulley amongst my junk. The only thing with a ribbed pulley is the compressor. I figured no big deal. Planning on serpentine eventually but figured as I'm just trying to get running in the short term I'd go to all V for now. That setup is pretty easy to get parts for. Where the confusion came in is that the compressor has very short hoses and could only BE on passenger side where alternator should be. My son's car (78 El Camino) has brackets for the R4 I could borrow. (All.the ones I had in junk.pile are for old A6). And i can change to a v-belt pulley and be ok. All the pictures I've looked at are set up this way, with long hoses run across radiator support. And junkyard pickings being slim, i found an 85 with a crank pulley. 2 v-grooves next to balancer, wide space and then ribbed out front. Everything else already gone. I'll have to come up with long hoses too, so... oh, and mine does have factory electric fan. Junkyard car had clutch fan. Have I got a real oddball here? Hard to know as previous owner did a LOT of hillbilly hacking on it.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

Sounds like you have the compressor setup for a serpentine (snake-like) belt system from 88 up, not for your 87.

No telling what the PO might have done.

You don't have an "oddball", since in mass production, there really isn't any such thing; you have a combination of piles of hack jobs and of junk.

You're not going to find a V-belt system to put a R4 compressor on the pass side. Not a stock one anyway. No such beast exists.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:09 PM

Ok. Weird enough. I trying to get writing harness figured out and fixed. Also hacked badly. Largely because they eliminated the feedback carb and also cut off all the ECM wiring where it exits the side of the cowl. Last night I identified most everything in the harness and started asking myself where the compressor clutch wiring was. Today, looking at schematics I realized it was an ECM output... hillbillies. Planning on doing my own EFI setup later, so wasn't THAT concerned about it till i see THAT and they also buggered the fan relay wiring for the same reason. While i plan on modifying quite a lot eventually, I'd like to keep everything that CAN be as close to original as possible. Plus, i know what I've got to start with. So far, this has been a 3500lb jigsaw puzzle and now i find it is one with pieces missing and other wrong ones in the box. Lol. Thanks for all your help. I lurked here for years before ever posting, long before i even HAD an F-body, because it is the best tech resource on the internet for any 80s GM info and has a community of great, friendly folks like you!
Old 06-16-2020, 08:05 PM
Supreme Member

It should be a law that people are required to pass some kind of electrical knowledge test before being able to buy, use, touch, or otherwise interface with a pair of dykes around a car. Violators should be sentenced to 5 years MINIMUM in a "federal pound me in the a** prison".
Old 06-16-2020, 10:43 PM

Completely agreed. A special place in Hell for those people, with child molesters and people who talk at the theatre. LOL. When you see the THHN green wire and wire nuts in your harness... Oi Vey.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:56 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

your ecm harness can be removed completely from the car now. it might tie into an in-tank fuel pump that was used on later carb'd cars as a helper pump. if you don't have the helper pump that issue won't need to be re-routed. if you do, the ecm commanded a start up then let the pump run through the OPS, usually mounted behind the dist - it was usually tee'd off the brass fitting that housed the OPSU and was a two-lead switch..

if you have the pump, you want to keep it, as it may pose a restriction if there and not running. you can look for the power leads going to it (along with the fuel sender leads) to confirm that it should be there, and check it's operation by looking for fuel flow from the metal feed line on the fender well with key on-and the fuel hose disconnected from the block pump.

if you swap to a later EFI system this pump will have to be replaced with a higher pressure pump, so hopefully you have it so you don't need to replace the sender assembly too.

the HVAC harness should be separate completely from the ecm harness, and all other harnesses. it would have tied into the curb idle bump solenoid and the rad fan control. you may also find that it runs through a low pressure switch at the power steering pressure line, which would disengage the AC compressor when the pressure reached a minimum set point.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 TA, 00 Z28
Engine: L31 Build in Progress
Transmission: NWC T5 till it blows

if this still needs sorting i have the exact engine in my 86 ta and i can grab a pic for you.