Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Camaro not starting unless I press the gas to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305
Camaro not starting unless I press the gas to the floor

I have a 1991 camaro with 305 tpi motor. The only way I can get it to start is if I press the gas pedal to the floor and hold it and crank it a couple time and then It will start and run fine. When I drive it after that it goes down the freeway fine had it up to 75 ran fine. Idles fine at stop signs, a little high when in park about 900. When cold it idles I little higher. Once I park it, it will start up fine for about 2-3 hours more then that and have to floor it again. I have replaced a lot and have gotten a lot farther the When I started. At first couldn't go faster then 20 mph. I have replaced gas tank, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, tps sensor, oil pressure sensor, coolent temp sensor, iac, fuel injectors, right side of the fuel rail, fuel rail transfor tubs, transfor tube orings, fuel pressure regulator (and base). The fuel rail, transfor tubs, and fuel pressure regulator base were broken inside. I also cleaned the intake plenum, checked the tps sensor for correct voltage. Checked resistance on the new injectors. If any one has any idea what I should check or replace that would be great thanks.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:31 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Camaro not starting unless I press the gas to the floor

Since it seems to be missing air at startup.... Have you checked the IAC?... Check operation, clean the passages, reset it using the sequence on this site ..

I saw you replaced it but was it's position reset....

I am just thinking it's either not getting air...or it wants to start in flooded mode... But I couldn't tell you why....
Old 08-01-2022, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305

Ok thanks I will check into that. Other then the reset procedures is there any way to test the iac valve. It is one of the few parts that weren't either standard or ac delco parts. It could be bad.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:55 PM

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 427 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt / 3.73 TrueTrac

When you're pressing the gas pedal to the floor when cranking, it puts the ECM in "flood mode" as they say. Your injectors are not firing when cranking if the gas pedal is to the floor. If it starts better this way, you most likely have leaky injectors or a bad FPR. I had the same exact issue as you and a few of my injectors were leaking when the car was off. I'd hook a fuel pressure gauge to your rail, start and turn off the car. Watch to see how fast the fuel pressure bleeds off.

When you know it's not going to want to start, do you try and start it right away with the gas to the floor and it starts? If so, sure sounds like fuel is leaking in and it's flooded.