Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

location of fuel pressure regulator and huge problems with car.. it won't start/run

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: stock 305
Transmission: Stock auto
Axle/Gears: stock
location of fuel pressure regulator and huge problems with car.. it won't start/run

I lost my book.. its the 91 firebird 305 tbi.. this is the first car I've actually gotten into and started working on.. I need to know the location of the fuel pressure regulator. . My car was hard to start and I had to give it gas.. would shut off when coming to a stop and I was driving with two feet so it wasn't dying.. it finally was having a choppy idle for the first couple of miles it sas bogging doen when put into reverse and when given gas would hesitate then lurch foward... it finally died and wouldn't start back up... I've changed fuel pump, fuel filter, I.a.c., and distibutor cap and rotor... hasn't done the trick my next thiughts are fuel regulator then injectors. .... anyone had this problem?? Any help appreciated
Old 08-21-2013, 09:03 PM

Car: 85 T/A
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: location of fuel pressure regulator and huge problems with car.. it won't start/r

Your regulator is on the back of your TB just above where your fuel lines connect. It's more than likely not the problem. Have you replaced your coolant temp sensor on the front of your intake manifold?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:36 PM

Re: location of fuel pressure regulator and huge problems with car.. it won't start/r

Originally Posted by Chad85T/A
Your regulator is on the back of your TB just above where your fuel lines connect. It's more than likely not the problem. Have you replaced your coolant temp sensor on the front of your intake manifold?
No I have not replaced it.. would that even having anything to do with it dying bogging down hesitating and now not starting? I assumed itit's not getting gas and somewhere in the fuel delivery is screwed up
Old 08-22-2013, 09:25 AM

It has everything to do with it. That sensor tells the computer what temperature the coolant is and based on that the computer decides how much fuel to give it. Are you sure its not getting enough gas? Usually when a TBI runs like your describing they're getting too much gas. I would be willing to bet your plugs are gas fouled and that's why it's not starting at all now.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:33 PM

It has everything to do with it. That sensor tells the computer what temperature the coolant is and based on that the computer decides how much fuel to give it. Are you sure its not getting enough gas? Usually when a TBI runs like your describing they're getting too much gas. I would be willing to bet your plugs are gas fouled and that's why it's not starting at all now.

That makes sense lol.. I will check my plugs when I get back home to see if they are fouled.. I assumed it wasn't getting gas because of the bogging down and shuting off I figured it was cutting off because of lack of gas.. I will post my results with the plugs thanks!
Old 08-22-2013, 02:17 PM

Ok. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:52 PM

Ok. Good luck.

So changed the temp sensor cleaned all my plugs and... no dice still not starting...
Old 08-23-2013, 11:41 PM

Another thing you can check is have someone crank the engine and you look at the fuel spray coming out of the injectors. This will at least tell you if they're spraying correctly or not.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Another thing you can check is have someone crank the engine and you look at the fuel spray coming out of the injectors. This will at least tell you if they're spraying correctly or not.
check the resistance on them as well....when they are warm/hot.
anything 12.0 or below is indicative of coil failure
Old 08-24-2013, 01:23 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Being a TBI set up the injector resistance is 1.2 ohms.

RBob.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 PM

Car: 91 Camaro Rs
Engine: 3.1 v6
Axle/Gears: 3.23

sounds like my problem but mine i have to burn the plugs off or change them for it to run like it should. Mine wont hit a lick when it sits for a few days. Im guessing the injectors bleed off and foul my plugs. Im running a v6 though.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM

replaced the ignition coil.. getting 1.2 ohms from the injectors... took off both fuel lines and we are not getting any pressure.. my pump IS kicking on though however im not getting gas.. what could be going on here? saw on a Camaro forum that it could possibly be a little hose that connects the pump to the sending unit.. possibly dissolving.. is there anything else that it could be???? im about to break down and either throw a cover on it and say goodbye for a while pay out my *** for a shop to take charge.. who wants to come fix my car lmao
Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 AM

Since you said you've changed the fuel filter then that hose is probably the problem. IMHO dropping the tank is not that big of a deal. You read about people saying it was a nightmare, but I found it to be relatively easy. The first time I took it out was a learning experience, but the second time I took it out, it was on the ground in less than an hour. Getting the exhaust loose will probably be the hardest thing to do. I soaked my joint and hangers with WD40 the night before and everything came right loose. I jacked mine up from the rear end pumpkin as high as my 3 ton floor jack would go and placed jack stands on the front mounts for the LCA's, then I unbolted my rubber brake hose, sway bar, shocks, pan hard bar, and the brace that goes from the left side to the right side. There's also a heat shield right above the muffler that has to come down also, its bolted to the left to right brace and the body. After you have all that stuff loose just let your jack down and the tires should rest on the ground giving you plenty of room to access the tank, watch out for the coil springs because they will fall out. Now that the rear end is on the ground you can disconnect your fuel lines ( there should be 4 right in front of the driver side tire and the wire plug directly to the front of the tank) after that your ready to unstrap the tank, I undo the driver strap first because the neck will hold that side, then get a good hold on the bottom of the passenger side ( depending on how much fuel is in it, mine was full and was heavy) and start loosening the strap. When it comes loose pull your straps back out of the way and start letting it drop slowly ( its bending the filler neck as its coming down) until it touches the ground, then pick up under the driver side edge and slide it out behind the passenger tire.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been reading these forums head to toe and i think to many people are saying the fuel pressure regulator is rarely the problem. Nick I am having the same problems you are having and I'm convinced it my fpr... I dont get any spray out the schrader valve, instead it just kind of dribbles out.. Disconnected the flex line in the engine bay that goes to the fuel rails and that flows just fine.. So my next step is take out fuel rail assembly, clean it, new fpr. Good luck with yours i'll let u know if it fixes mine