Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

can't get my kickdown cable to release.. please help..

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can't get my kickdown cable to release.. please help..

Once your kickdown cable is out and set can you reset it.. I put a holley braket for my holley carb on hopefully to stop the car from jumping between gears but the kickdown cable wont reset. I pressed the button and it stuck out in it current spot... I just bought it, please tell me I don't need another cable..
Old 03-12-2002, 08:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
I believe with Holley carbs, you have to get a different setup for the cable, cause the carb throws it out of whack.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:10 AM

yes I did.. the braket that holds the kickdown cable in too far out, so I got and installed the Holley overdrive transmission braket and everything is in place now but the kickdown cable won't release so I can set it with the proper slack as it still set from being in the old braket..

Can anyone help? Does anyone know how to release the kickdown cable .. my button seems to be stuck..
Old 03-13-2002, 12:22 PM

you can't just push the button and expect it to adjust itself. the button is just a release. you must push the button, pull the cable sheathing towards the rear of the car, and release the button. you then get in the car and step the pedal to the floor a couple of times to set it. does this answer your question or do you have another problem?
jess
Old 03-13-2002, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
^^What he said, but if you have pulled on pushed and it still won't move, it could be stuck in the tranny.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:02 PM

arrrg.. It won't move at all.. I jacked up the car had someone press the button and i was under yanking on the wire and no budge.. Its stuck.. the wire it self wonce detatached from the carb won't slide back in either .. grrr.. I just bought it 3 months ago too.. grrr...
Old 03-14-2002, 08:48 AM

double check that you actually have an adjusting cable.
you shouldn't be disconnecting the cable from the carb. you should press the buttun and grab the sheath (black plastic) right behind the button. i don't know what you were doing under the car. the sheath is fixed down by the trans and doesn't slid in and out of the trans. the cable runs from the carb down through the sheath into the trans where it hitches up to a spring loaded valve. there are a few checks you can do to see if things are messed up. first unhook the cable from the carb and pull on it. if it gains tension and tries to pull back, then it is fine. else it is binding in the trans. next push the button on the adjuster and see if you can slide the sheath forward and back. if it can move then it is good. if all checks out, then adjust your cable per directions.
two more things to consider. first, is the carb have the right bracket for an overdrive trans? the newer carbs have the trans stud lower on the bracket. if you don't have the right geometry, you could run into shifting problems. second, as mark pointed out, you may not have the adjuster at the proper distance from the carb. this would mean that you could be setting it to it's tightest setting and it might not be tight enough to generate proper line pressure.
before you jump to any conclusions, check things out and try setting it again.
jess
Old 03-14-2002, 04:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 S10 pickup 2700lbs
Engine: 4.3L Z TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 7.625"
i gotta jump in here because i need to know exactly what this button is ? is it the thingy on the end of the housing that the cable rides through ? or ? where is it at up there ?
i need ot adjust mine too, my trans doesnt hold in lower gear when getting on the gas and it doesnt kick down when gettign in to it either

thanks
Old 03-14-2002, 04:39 PM

i refer you to this tech article on how to adjust your tv cable
the picture is a little aqwards(sp), but it should give you a good idea of what and how to do it.
jess