Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Coolant bypass intake plenium

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant bypass intake plenium

I own a 87 305 A4. The car used to heat up past 226 degrees in hot weather and thus my performance would drop off...this has been documented as an engineering "defect" of these TPI cars to help pass strict 80s smog compliance.

Fix. I disconnected the 2 coolant lines going into the TPI plenium and ran a direct connect to the HCV. In addition to cooler air going into the Plenium/runners...the heater 2ndary fan now will go on around 175 degrees and go off at 160. My Primary will go if I run the car over 40 minutes to assist the 2ndary fan. The end result is that my car now runs cooler than it has ever ran...average in idle traffic-175 degrees. The cars performance is even better thanks to the cooler air going through the plenium and the extra cooling thanks to the 2 fans going on 40 degrees sooner. I used to be worried about my car possible overheating due to the primary fan going on at such a hot temp --226...now this has been remedied. I do not have to purchase the HiPO fan switches or hi po thermostat. The entire proceedure cost $5 bucks for the hose connector and 2 clamps.
Old 03-17-2002, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no such thing as a "plenium". This is a pretty old trick. I'm sure you can find it somewhere in the tech articles section of this website.
Old 03-17-2002, 10:53 PM
Supreme Member

WTF???? that gotta be wrong......did u reprogram the PROM or something too???? just moving a TB coolent(isn't that an oxy-moron???) hose is not ganna make you fans pop on an off at cooler temps....
Old 03-18-2002, 07:39 PM
Banned

Sorry Bud
The facts are the facts. True this isn't a new modification...but what is new and hans't been reported is the Fans going on sooner and keeping the car cooler. The performance enhancement from the Plenium not being heated up by hot coolant was the purpose of my trying this mod. I am not sure if it is something specific to the 87 TPI or what...but the 2ndary fan that had never went on, unless I turned on the heater...now goes on and keeps the engine temp at 175 degrees. I have verified this temp by taking a reading at the radiator. 1. If the temp gauge reading wasn't correct...the car would be running sluggish and losing performance instead of gaining performance. 2. The car would ping like a mother at WOT.

P.S. Maybe instead of being the "Nay Sayer" maybe you should look into why this mod seems to work for me...but maybe not for your car? Maybe it would be better to pay a mechanic $75-100/hr and $45 for the fan switch to do the same thing my $5 for a couple of hose clamps was able to pull off