Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Apparent Miss (Engine Vib) Coming Off Idle and Remaining

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: See ID
Engine: See ID
Transmission: M39
Apparent Miss (Engine Vib) Coming Off Idle and Remaining

Noticed today when I started my IROC and its idle was up for warmup that the engine appears to be missing a cylinder.

This evening while the motor idled I disconnected each spark plug (at the cap since we all know doing it at the spark plug just gets you burned) and noted a marked increase in roughness for each wire. Each plug wire removed impacted idle quality. So where's the miss?

Each fuel injector is firing (clearly heard and felt). The miss becomes noticeable above 2,000 RPM and stays throughout the RPM range.

What a lousy week: clutch this weekend, speedometer cable this morning, idle problem tonight. Lousy truck wouldn't start (needed battery cables) and the stereo in my wife's minivan works when it feels like it. I know it could be worse, but this is getting tiresome.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats a intresting problem you have, did you check the compresson on any/all of the cylinders? Also I would check the cap and rotor to make sure all that stuff is okay..