Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

These guys are threatening you!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 11:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
"That's where they take away my freedom and they rob quiet off of my property and out of my personal space."

:sillylol: LOL

Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

"Stop stealing my quiet!"
Old 11-07-2002, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Hi

I did a search on mufflers because I wanted to learn about muffler technology and how to choose the appropriate one for my application. I had wanted the most power with the least amount of sound, but after reading this, I've decided to go with a flowmaster. All I have to do now is figure which series I want.

Thanks, Mr. Huber!
Old 11-07-2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Nic
Stuff like that doesn't help our cause any.
But do you really think anything is gonna happen because we're "Stealing thier quiet", give me a break lol... im sure everyone on this board that has a loud exaust (99% of them) piped old people, its just funny to see them get pissed off...
Old 11-07-2002, 02:48 PM
Nic
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 Ford Mustang
Engine: 5.0L
Transmission: T5
Never underestimate the political power of pissed off old people. :nono:

And, no, I've never "piped" anyone. I know my exhaust is loud and therefore have always tried to show a little respect by keeping it down in residential areas. How old are you?

On a side not...I just noticed last night that this place's headquarters is less than a mile from where our car club has it's meetings. There's also a busy firestation and the busiest strip of road in Richmond just a few blocks away
Old 11-07-2002, 02:57 PM

This indirectly sums up the "Stealing of ones quiet" ...
Attached Thumbnails These guys are threatening you!-bsmeter.gif  
Old 11-07-2002, 03:14 PM
TGO Supporter

Location: Avatar: My 34' 1989 Scarab III w/ twin 454's (502's Started!)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Wellcraft Scarab III
Engine: Twin 454's
Axle/Gears: Twin Mercruiser Bravo I's
Originally posted by Zeke3Elevn
Saw some old people today, thinking about what mr. huber said i piped em and they gave me that "uhh damn kids" look haha
I sincerely mean no offense to you, but that's just foolish. It's one thing to consider doing it to the one's who are attacking us, but why do it to old people in general? We don't need more enemies, there are already enough out there attacking the performance car community.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:22 PM

I know this lady i piped, she pisses me off ... she threw a rock at my car one time when i was just crusing down my street... "because its loud it means im going fast" ... errrr
Old 11-07-2002, 03:38 PM
TGO Supporter

I know this lady i piped, she pisses me off ... she threw a rock at my car one time when i was just crusing down my street... "because its loud it means im going fast" ... errrr
Well, if she has done that to you and all you've done in return is "pipe" her, then you've shown considerable restraint, more than I imagine I could.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:58 PM
Supreme Member

I believe when people told you to "pipe" her they meant with a lead pipe, not rev your exhaust........ .........throwing rocks at your car.........i don't care if they are young or old.....I'm getting out of my car.........
Old 11-07-2002, 05:49 PM

"now that i've rid the neighborhood of barking dogs, commercial vehicles, and those damn crickets.. I must rid the world of loud exhaust systems.. !"

Why doesn't he just buy some thicker insulation if "queitness" is that important to him..
Old 11-07-2002, 08:39 PM

I give up! lol
Old 11-07-2002, 08:53 PM
Supreme Member

The only people I piped were 5 minutes ago. Our Soccer team just played and after the game there were some kids (other team) waiting at the exit. Needless to say they got some of that Flowmaster sound!!!

Other than that I have no need to! The exhaust doesn't need to be really loud, just sound good, and add power (even though it is very little)!
Old 11-07-2002, 09:25 PM

So maybe I do represent some of the people in this great Nation. Since I live here, I have a say. Since you don't, I'm guessing the responsibility that comes with freedom, is telling you to SHUT your pie hole!
LMAO!!!! good stuff.... :hail:
Old 11-07-2002, 09:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Check The Sig
ahh if they make a law.... and i dont have my exhaust in by then... and they force me to take it off..... im loadin the clip... SOMEONE IS HAVING A CASE OF THE THURSDAYS!
Old 11-07-2002, 11:37 PM

Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: Vortec 350 TPI
Transmission: 7004r
Actually, I can see where the Huber guy is coming from.
There is a difference between a performance exhaust and a loud obnoxious exhaust.

I'm fully in support of laws against exhaust that breaks a certain Db and are excessivly rappy.

My small city is overpopulated with pickup trucks and easily 50-60% of the trucks have exhaust that is blatently obnoxious. Such an exhaust tone is done by reversing a glasspacked muffler and reducing the pipe size in order to get a high pitched 'rap' as the rpms increase. there is nothing performance about this and it DOES have to be stopped.
There is absolutly no need for that ****.
Some of these exhausts will leave your ears ringing for a good minute after they've passed you.

Performance exhausts can be had without going insane with loudness. My flowmaster is very bassy and by no means quiet, but if i drive by I won't be waking up babies and startling old people.

I'm actually planning to get a really quite muffler. I have a cutout now and if I want loud when I'm racing (at the track) I open my cutout. when I'm cruising I can have a refined exhaust note and I can listen to my radio or my passenger talk in peace.

Huber is wrong to attack manufacturers of mufflers, however laws prohibiting exhausts that exceed a certain DB limit is a good idea imo.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC-Z/00 GTP/05 VUE Redline
Engine: LB9 305/3800 SC/3.5 SOHC V-TEC
Transmission: A4/A4/A5
i'll walk before i drive a quiet car. I like having a loud car. I'm not an *** clown about it. I respect my neighborhood when i come home and no one has ever complained. Just complemented.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:55 AM

What's "Loud"

I consider something loud when it puts out over 100db

If your exhaust can put out that much noise I would consider you an assclown

Just because I like loud exhaust, I love it actually (when it sounds like an actual engine). doesn't mean the rest of town should have to hear it everytime I go driving by.
my tastes doesn't supercede anyone elses, except maybe the ricers
Old 11-08-2002, 01:06 AM
Supreme Member

During the day it's alright......

But at night it should be kept down.........I try and not to be loud in residential neighborhoods at night.........
Old 11-08-2002, 06:10 AM

Loud by California Standards is:

93 dB from the center point of your vehicle, measured 10 feet away. As certified by the California Highway Patrol. Not the POLL-ICE.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:53 AM
Nic
Supreme Member

100db? Just about any V8 with a free flowing exhaust will exceed that at WOT. In the latest issue of MM&FF they did a muffler shootout, and on a typical h/c/i 5.0 every single muffler they tested emitted between 114 and 120 db at WOT.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC-Z/00 GTP/05 VUE Redline
Engine: LB9 305/3800 SC/3.5 SOHC V-TEC
Transmission: A4/A4/A5
Originally posted by Jer82Z28
What's "Loud"

If your exhaust can put out that much noise I would consider you an assclown

Just because I like loud exhaust, I love it actually (when it sounds like an actual engine). doesn't mean the rest of town should have to hear it everytime I go driving by.
my tastes doesn't supercede anyone elses, except maybe the ricers
Consider me whatever you want. All i have right now is a 3" catback with a flowmaster muffler. I doubt that's putting out over 100 db's. But long tubes and a ORYP should make it considerably louder. And like i said i've never had a complaint only complements. Even when i had my lincoln which had FMS headers,off road h-pipe and a flowmaster catback with dumps before the rear axle. That probably put out well over 100 db's. So i guess to you i'm an *** clown. But like I said i was considerate with it and really care less what you think.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:26 AM

Engine: slowtacular L03 305
Transmission: slushem 700r4
You mean the trucks in your town have an exaust? Wow, most of the rednecks here have a friend or family member that does inspections so about 50-60% of the trucks just have straight pipes. Nothing quite like a 6inch lifter, 34inch swamper 350 chevy going wide open throttle next to you when you have the windows down and his exaust dumps about were your head is. Ya i can see how some kinds of loud exausts need to be stopped. I mean some of it is just noise, but i have a feeling by outlawing those kinds of exaust they would make a blanket law that would cover all performance exausts loud or not. Still, i don't think this guy will ever get enough support for this to pass, i mean the internal combustion engine is part of just about every single americans life and almost a cult for those males between 1-100. I don't know a single guy that doesn't atleast have a favorite car/truck and know quite a few that would live and a trailer and have a $70,000+ car sitting in the drive. With this obsession is the noise. I mean who here doesn't still get chills when they hear a v8 go wide open and run up through the gears. Or an 8 with aheavy cam lope at idle.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:56 PM
TGO Supporter

I can say this, I will never change from a performance exhaust system back to something restrictive. Law or no law. At the same time I'm not going to drive around and "pipe" people either. What you hear will only be what my car does at whatever throttle I am giving it. I think this guy is mixing us up with the ricers who have fart pipes blasting everywhere they go making more "noise" than a V8 and doing less than 30mph at the same time.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:12 PM

Well my cutout gets more compliments than my single flowmaster so whats your point.

My point is simply that, we have to think about our neihbors too when we get up in arms about our exhaust 'freedoms'

And as I said earlier, there is a difference between performance exhaust which is louder because restriction is less, and obnoxious exhaust which is loud just to be loud.

Thus I think a law limiting exhaust Db would work great to get rid of the obnoxious ones, while the Db limit is high enough that the mild performance exhausts are left alone.

Now tht I think of it 100db is loud, but it's not the obnoxious that I"m thinking of. my flowmaster is probably close 100 as it is.
120+ would be getting carried away I think.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:41 PM
Nic
Supreme Member

Are we talking at idle or WOT?
Old 11-09-2002, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS
I already sent them my email or I'd post it, but basically, i'd like to see what happens when these fricking morons with nothing better to do kill off all decent hobby's and kids have nothing better to do with their time than rob these tree huggers, beat them into the hospital and kill them, some of that crap is just way too overboard, to put things into perspective, my neighbor is in his upper 30's or low 40's i believe, i finally got the exhaust on my car after a few test fires of open Y pipe off headers after my LT1 swap, he said it was too damn quiet and he was hoping for something louder, i told him I didnt want to disturb him or anyone else when coming home from work at 2 AM, he said he has no problem with it cause he's known me for a long time and knows its what i do to keep out of trouble. Friggin morons need to mind their own business.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: LB9
Transmission: WC T5
umm yea i could get carried away on this but im not, all im gonna say is that loud or not increasing the performance of vehicles is a hobby that keeps millions of people away from drugs and other sorts of problems that really need to be focused on. Maybe after these dipsh!ts kill off all the legit hobbies ill start doing drugs so it just feels like im going through the traps at 100+, i seriously think these idiots need to get a life or find something better to devote their time to...i also agree though that you shouldnt make your car loud just to be loud without gaining any benefits from it...
Old 11-11-2002, 03:34 PM

Car: 1991 z28
Engine: l98
Transmission: 700r4
Here is my e-mail i sent them, its looong

I feel that the article I read, most of which had quotes from you, was complete nonsense. If you, and any other patrons of your group, feel that people have violated your personal space by increasing the sound level of their vehicle then perhaps you should take stock in cotton to fill your ears with. The hobby, and career of hot rodding has been around for over 50 years. Loud powerful exhaust is part of the territory. I feel you need to step back and look at the big picture. People will continue to do such modifications to cars for as long as they are around. And to police departments who enforce such laws I have but one thing to say; "Catch a real criminal!"
To add to that. I feel there are other items in my neighborhood that need to be adressed as well as in other towns. People mowing their lawns. I feel the sound of a lawn mower is very annoying to me, and that lawn mowers should be done away with. You can add leaf blowers, snow blowers, and any other automatic yard care tool to that list. And how about dogs. Dogs bark, it gets on my nerves, im not the only one that feels this way, lets ban dogs, and birds, i want a quiet home too. Sounds pretty stupid dont it? I can keep going. Providing I keep thinkin in the state of mind the article put me in. But I would rather wrap my mouth around the tailpipe of my Flowmastered Camaro, and have my best friend floor the pedal. Take a moment and please re-read the article, and here is a quick-link Third Generation F-Bodies - These guys are threatening you! , incase you feel annoyed enough to find it yourself.
After you read it, say to yourself " I do sound rediculous." Then hack the muffler off your car and put a flowmaster on it. They have a wide range of mufflers to fit almost every application. Happy motoring, see you in the autobahn.

From,
Common Sense itself
Old 11-11-2002, 03:41 PM

Think they'll reply?
Old 11-11-2002, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

I feel the sound of a lawn mower is very annoying to me, and that lawn mowers should be done away with. You can add leaf blowers, snow blowers, and any other automatic yard care tool to that list. And how about dogs. Dogs bark, it gets on my nerves, im not the only one that feels this way, lets ban dogs, and birds, i want a quiet home too.
LOL, LOL..............
Old 11-12-2002, 12:46 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305 baby!!!
Transmission: stock 700r4
Well heres my response to that rambling stupidity that was that article.Mind you it might be a bit violent,but it really pissed me off to read such an ignorant,misinformed rant.

You people really are a bunch of idiots.I just wish that people like
you would really get out into the world and get a hobby or
something.You seriously have WAY too much time on your hands if you
have nothing better to do than write a story on how loud cars annoy
you close-minded people.GET A ****IN LIFE YOU RETARDED TREE HUGGING
AL GORE LOVING HIPPIES.And have a great ****ING night.

With all of my love,
Richard Boddy
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Flowmaster exhaust with a high
flow catalytic convertor to make
it EVEN LOUDER!!!

P.S. If you really want quiet I would be much obliged to hit you *******s over the head with my beautifully sounding Flowmaster 80 Series FACTORY REPLACEMENT MUFFLER,therefore knocking you out.And after I do that i will then continue to bury you 6 *********in feet under.THEN you can enjoy all the quiet you could possibly want.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 firebird now
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 speed
Man I wanna live where you can hear hot rods revving up, I would pay more to live in that area!
Old 11-12-2002, 07:21 AM
Supreme Member

yea... i wana hear louder! im making a group that gets mad at cars with stock exhaust that sound like crap.... (and the dam rice.... tisktisktisk ) HEY... IS THAT A CAT!! RIP IT OFF!!! hehehehe anyways... i dont hope this doesnt catch on with everyone, and that companies are forced to "quiet" there mufflers down.... ahhh!! cant wait to hear my rumble, and i dont want some fat-*** messin it up for me!
Old 11-12-2002, 08:46 PM

Damn, maroon, I thought a lil sarcasm would be enfuryating enough. Your downright mean. We should meet up sometime and terrorise them together.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

hey.. as long as i got my ELT exhaust... i should be nice and loud!
Old 11-12-2002, 10:26 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305 baby!!!
Transmission: stock 700r4
Damn, maroon, I thought a lil sarcasm would be enfuryating enough. Your downright mean. We should meet up sometime and terrorise them together.
well as you can tell i hate it when people bitch about how cars are bad.and this has got to be the worst example yet.OK yes cars pollute.some more than others.yes some are fast and people tend to drive more recklessly than others.and yes some are LOUD.but get the *** over it and do something with your life.i just find it pathetic.i have yet to check for a response from any of them,although i did get an error email from yahoo saying one of the email addies wasnt accepting email from anyone.maybe he got enough bashing! i sure hope i hear something from someone though!
Old 11-12-2002, 11:32 PM
Supreme Member

HELL YES MAH BROTHA!!! SPEAK.... AMEN!!!
Old 11-16-2002, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
what a discrace to the family name!!!!!! lynette flynn?

I'm James Flynn, who does she think she is ??? I wish I still had my T/A, I would uncap the borla,straight pipe the cat, and leave all 50,000 miles of rear wheel tread on this *&^*&'s driveway!!!
Old 11-16-2002, 12:59 PM

New thread for NFA.ORG experiences in mass, read mine!

Noisefreeamerica.org flaming thread
Old 08-07-2003, 10:50 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R-4
Somebody needs to send this guy the link to this post.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:01 PM

OMG, I just went to that website, and I can't believe my eyes. You mean to tell me somebody is serious enough to put together a professional-looking website devoted to this?

This has got to just about top the list of thee most stupid things I have heared in my ENTIRE life. I must say I enjoyed reading the hate mail.

I think somebody should kidnap him, and stuff is face right in a top fuel car's header primaries....that should break him of it.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
Originally posted by 92fire-audio
"now that i've rid the neighborhood of barking dogs, commercial vehicles, and those damn crickets.. I must rid the world of loud exhaust systems.. !"

Why doesn't he just buy some thicker insulation if "queitness" is that important to him..
Crickets and dogs barking are alot worse than my exhuast system. If you want to attack someone go after the Homey's bassing hard enough to flex my T-Tops. Go after fart cannons. I think the high pitched angry bee sound is worse.

If I lived in VA it would be time to install some headers and straight pipe. Even if only for a day.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
Well I had to say something.........

I normally wouldn't give an organization like this a second thought or even email them. But in this case I had to. This is so rediculous it can only be classified as absurd.

My response.

Mr. Huber I am appalled with the things I have read on your site. All the things wrong with this country and this world. What do you do? You pick on loud exhaust. Why couldn't you find a subject with substance. Child abuse, underage drinking, drunk driving, drunken watersports, public education, health care, and child ****. There are 1000 more important subjects to tackle then exhaust.

Noise free America can not happen. Sorry but reality has to set in sooner or later. Barking dogs, dump trucks, people bassing music to hard, construction, comercial vehicles, police and ambulance sirens. These are thngs that can not be done with out or silenced.

Hot rodded cars are the miniority. Few and far between. Yet you direct all your efforts to us. You will change nothing. Because we are such a minority. No one cares about this meaningless topic. If you bother me with your lawn mower at 8am should I have the right to silence your mower? I don't think so. Where does it end? What freedom would you like to remove next?

How would you like me to take away your right to reproduce? Or choose the color that you paint your home? That is the level of rediculous that you are treading on.

Sincerly, Noise pollutant.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:47 AM
Nic
Supreme Member

I got an email from him a while back asking me to "tell my friends to stop driving by their house." My reply: If you don't want them driving by, don't plaster your adress all over the 'net and if you really want to live in a quieter environment, I'd suggest moving from within earshot of a busy firestation
Old 08-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!
We need to get the Harley Guys involved. We could have the Harley guys do a "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES" campaign right in front of that guys house (on public property of course).
Old 08-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
Originally posted by DakotaSLT
Damn hippies. They're contradicting themselves anyway. By not allowing me to run my beautiful flowmaster exhaust because it invades his rights, he's invading mine!!!!!!!

if I remember right he isn't taking your freedom away

but the law itself

you are allowed your fredom untill that freedom 9invades someone elses life

and that is what he is saying

so no he isn't taking it away
Old 08-08-2003, 11:08 AM

That is an awesome sig 1BAD91Z.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
ok I'm screwed

my car is still using the stock mufflers and at one point even when I had a 3rd muffer on there (stock is only 2) my car was louder then hell

I for the most part try to keep it quite
and if I am in a res. area late at night you will see me keep it as quite as possible

oh well

this tree hugger can lick my noisy a-hole

whats next? he goign to require mufflers for that to?

Last edited by rx7speed; 08-08-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2007 Saturn Sky Redline
Engine: 2.0 turbo
Transmission: m5
Axle/Gears: 3.91 LSD
Where and why the hell did you guys dig THIS thread up from? This issue was addressed...last year. I'm going to lock it as it is no longer an issue.