Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Non third gen match up, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Firechicken
Engine: 350 + 30 over, 400 crank
Transmission: autotragic, stalled
Axle/Gears: not a one tire fire, thank god!
Non third gen match up, what do you think?

I recently picked up an 04 Ford Crown Vic (yeah, I know) and it is a P71 police packaged car, with very little done.

I wanted to know, who you guys think would win if I raced an 04 toyota corolla LE. Mods are as listed below.

Crown Victoria (P71 police interceptor)
For those of you that don't know Vic's that well, the police package car came with...
1. 200 amp alternator
2. oil cooler
3. trans cooler
4. stiff springs
5. performance improved heads
6. performance improved intake manifold
7. 80 mm MAF
8. improved air intake
9. performance rear gear
10. 135 mph top speed
And a few other non racing stuff, but what the heck.
I also added a low temp thermostat, K&N filter in the stock air box, mild weight reduction, and ported TB.

The corolla has.....
1. TRD supercharger (6 lbs of boost)
2. AEM cold air intake
3. DC sports header
4. Magnaflow exhaust (I installed it for him)
5. Zex 50 shot dry kit (Also installed by me)

My question is, even though the crown vic weighs close to 800 pounds more than the corolla, do I have a chance? I have a universal fogger kit from NX that I could install with a 75 jet or a 100 jet but I wanted to stay away from it if I can.

Can I beat the corolla? Would I be okay with putting a 75 shot on a stock internal ford 4.6 sohc 2 valve headed P.O.S? What do the third gen community think, honestly?
Old 12-05-2010, 03:57 AM

Car: 1986 Iroc-Z, 1980 Cadillac Eldorado
Engine: Iroc- 5.0, Caddy-5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Non third gen match up, what do you think?

Is the Corolla a manual or an auto? I didn't know much about the Corollas specs, but I found that a stock 04 LE should run 0-60 in 8.5 (manual) and do the quarter in 16.5. I don't know if this is completely correct, so maybe someone else should chime in here.

At our local track, the police bring squad cars and run them. Their times written in the windows say 16.4, which usually would mean that they run even slower than that. Of course, I've heard some say a P71 can run a 15.9 as well, so maybe they vary from car to car (i.e. city or highway patrol). There isn't a whole ton of accurate information on their specs when it comes to times.

If he has a manual and those mods, I would say you're beat. Then again, I could be way off on the Corollas stock time. I say this because we have a 2001 Prizm (Corolla with a Chevy badge) and it's the slowest thing ever next to molasses. I timed it doing 0-60 in 12 seconds.

On another note, why does anyone supercharge a Corolla?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:09 PM

The old Vic's pre 02 didn't have the performance improved heads and intake, they were actually quite slow. They had a smaller intake tube and MAF as well which made it down 15 horsepower alone. The regular Vic's also had a single exhaust where as the P71 police cars have a true dual exhaust.

On a side note, toyota did offer a supercharger on the 1zzfe engines, think corolla, vibe, matrix, and it did offer 35-40 horses based on other mods.

I forgot to mention, we both are automatics, and while my car has a mild stall converter, my car weighs a hell of alot more. We plan on dragging it this coming weekend for just over a quarter of a mile but not quite half a mile. It's going to also be for money and even though it is only 100 bucks, I still don't want to lose.

On my Gtech (not to inaccurate) I ran the quarter in 14.5 before the K&N filter and the tune up. I did rip quite alot of weight out of it, considering the fact that the Vic's have a full size spare tire and a huge jack. The backseats also weighed quite a bit and so did the luggage tray in the trunk with all the carpet in the trunk. I might want to do some more work before I run this one. Thanks so far on the input.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 w/ 3.55's

This is the most odd race I've ever heard of.

That said, I don't know a ton about either cars, but it sounds to me that if you do in fact run a 14.5 at the strip, you may have him. The Gtechs are decently accurate in my experience with them but I also have no clue how much power that supercharger would add to the corolla. If it's only 45 or so more, you should still be quicker than him.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:02 AM

Car: 1986 Iroc-Z, 1980 Cadillac Eldorado
Engine: Iroc- 5.0, Caddy-5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by all4u
The old Vic's pre 02 didn't have the performance improved heads and intake, they were actually quite slow. They had a smaller intake tube and MAF as well which made it down 15 horsepower alone. The regular Vic's also had a single exhaust where as the P71 police cars have a true dual exhaust.

On a side note, toyota did offer a supercharger on the 1zzfe engines, think corolla, vibe, matrix, and it did offer 35-40 horses based on other mods.

I forgot to mention, we both are automatics, and while my car has a mild stall converter, my car weighs a hell of alot more. We plan on dragging it this coming weekend for just over a quarter of a mile but not quite half a mile. It's going to also be for money and even though it is only 100 bucks, I still don't want to lose.

On my Gtech (not to inaccurate) I ran the quarter in 14.5 before the K&N filter and the tune up. I did rip quite alot of weight out of it, considering the fact that the Vic's have a full size spare tire and a huge jack. The backseats also weighed quite a bit and so did the luggage tray in the trunk with all the carpet in the trunk. I might want to do some more work before I run this one. Thanks so far on the input.

So, did your car run a 14.5 with just the weight reduction? That's really impressive, considering the size of the car. I really like ex-police vehicles; would love to have a blacked out one, either P71 or 9C1. After hearing what you said, I'm with whitedevil, you very well may have him. I have trouble believing that he can break a 15. That gen Corolla seems a bit bloated. Plus, he's got front wheel drive. Then again, I don't know anything about the car.

We had a rental 2009 or something Grand Marquis (yes, I know, not a P71 and it doesn't have the same modifications) for a couple days and I really liked the way it felt. It was smooth, but felt quick at the same time. I really liked the 4.6.

Thanks for the info on the post-2002 enhancements. You learn something new every day!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:21 PM

There are some other mods that come stock on the P71 like a slightly higher stall converter, harder and quicker shifts, and the ability to shift higher than 5100, more like 5800. The 14.5 is probably more like a 14.8 because the Gtech isn't 100% accurate. I made many runs with the Gtech and it goes from 14.5-15.2 going up and down the same road over 20 times. If you rip out your door panels, backseat, spare tire, passenger seat, carpet in trunk and center console, you'd be surprised what that junk actually weighs. I think I will throw the nitrous in it for safe measure, but thanks for the opinions.

Anyone have anything else to add?