Third Gen Association of Ontario Regional message board for everyone in Southern Ontario and nearby regions.

Ontario Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ontario Emissions

Hi,
I'm a student in the U.S. right now, but was born and raised in Edmonton.
I'm looking to leave the U.S. (y'know, you just get fricking tired of all the Canadian jokes ), and attend school in the Toronto area.
My car hasn't been registered since it was in Edmonton, and I'm wondering what the emissions inspection will be like. I ask, because my car is about to lose a bunch of stock stuff.

Currently, I have a mostly stock bolt-on 305 TBI car ('89) that would pass emissions as it is, I'm sure. I have a flowmaster 3" system with a summit cut-out, a 3" Catco 3 way (in other words, it's got the air pump line attached to the new cat), an open element filter, and a few other non-emissions affecting things.

Right now, I have an LT1 cam with lifters sitting in my dorm room, along with new K-motion springs, and a new manifold coming soon. I'm going to a ~600 cfm carb sometime during the summer also.

My question is, with a carb, a dual plane intake manifold, the LT1 cam, and my exhaust, can I pass Ontario emissions? I've looked closely at an Ontario emissions results sheet for my girlfriends car, but I was unable to see if there was a visual inspection underhood. Let's assume that I'm able to get my car under the pollutant limits, like oxides of nitrogen , CO, etc. I'm mostly concerned about the visual. Is there one? How strict? How were your experiences with your/similar combo's?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a visual inspection but this is not something to be overly concerned about as this is something that can have a blind eye turned to it. It's just the final results of the sniffer test you really need to worry about. I know this is a lot to ask, but can you hold off on the mods until you get the test done here?
Old 04-18-2002, 04:01 PM

Car: 87 IROC
Just tell them you've dropped a 350 in your car and it will be classifed a Hot Rod. I did this with my 86 TA and the only item on the visual check they looked at was to see if the gas cap was installed and in good working order. I had the stock 305 in the car, but most techs won't bother to try and find casting #s to prove you wrong. Only bad part was that the Hot Rod 350 had slightly lower levels than the 305, so it was actually tougher to get it to pass with the Hot Rod status.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:44 PM

There is good info here:

www.driveclean.com

My car is a 1983, so it will be 20 yrs old next year. I have to get one test this summer, then NEVER again!!!!!
Old 04-18-2002, 04:47 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Kevin Vandevenne
I had the stock 305 in the car, but most techs won't bother to try and find casting #s to prove you wrong. Only bad part was that the Hot Rod 350 had slightly lower levels than the 305, so it was actually tougher to get it to pass with the Hot Rod status.
I'm guess you were able to pass, right? What was your setup when you went for the test?

IROCKER: I'm going to get it done soon (I've just got way too many friends that think their body-kitted Civic is a race car). You're saying that there are ways around the visual besides the Hot Rod status, eh? Did you um, make a donation to the tester? How did you do that?

Thanks a bunch for the responses!

Does anybody know a place (online or otherwise) where I could get a fairly complete listing of the limits and the hoops I have to jump through?

EDIT: Oops, thanks for the website, johnyIROC.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:43 PM

My car is a 1983, so it will be 20 yrs old next year. I have to get one test this summer, then NEVER again!!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
johnyiroc, Not that I think the government is in this for a tax grab , but I wouldn't want to count on them not changing the rules. H#ll this year they made me test my vehicles, because supposedly i'm in a commuting area to TO(over 2 hrs away).be a long friggan comute.
NTChrist , The inspection requires no exhaust/fuel leak,intact cat,PCV etc.these item's are checked prior to the test (the test will not be done if these item's are req'ed)as far as the test goes don't worry to much about it ,if you don't pass all that you have to do to get a conditional pass is spend no more then $200 (which includes $70 for the failure assesment exam) if it cost's more OR can't be repaired for under this $200 limit you get a conditional pass,and have till your next test is due to repair the vehicle....... SR

Last edited by Snowracer; 04-18-2002 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:58 PM

Car: 87 IROC
It was bone stock when I got it. It failed 4 times with the dealer doing the work, so I took the car, rebuilt the carb, ran some e-test homebrew fuel in the car and it passed with flying colors.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Z28 Vert
Engine: 305
Transmission: TKO
Axle/Gears: 3.55 10-bolt
If you swap the engine, in order for it to be classified as a Hot Rod it has to be a displacement other than what was offered as stock in that year car.

So if you have an 87 onwards you will have to do something other than the 350 in order to get that Hot Rod classification.

Another thing that I have heard is that if you get your car classified as being "rebuilt" on your ownership and use a block out of an older car they test the car according to the specs that the vin on the block is. So if its like a mid/late 70's 350 block it would be super easy to blow clean on the sniffer test provided the car is just tuned etc. Thats just my 2 cents!@
Old 04-18-2002, 11:47 PM

I don't think I'll have any trouble getting HOT ROD status with my car. It's an '83, and they never offered 350s back then. I also heard if it's a 355 (and you're supposed to have 350) that works too. Mine will be tested in a few weeks, so I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:48 PM

Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: L98 5.7 L
Transmission: 700R
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
I have been in a situation in which I have some mods planned, but because I still have to deal with e-testing, I have looked at what I can and cannot get away with. Visual inspection consists of exhaust leaks,catalytic,EGR,pvc,and for my LG4 the air cleaner with the heat riser valve.Basically all smog control devices.In order to classify my car as a hot rod with a modified engine, the engine must be modified internally...ie.Cam,crank,pistons etc. All changes must have documentation (receipts).This is what I have been told by certified emission testing facilities. You can always find someone that doesn't know what to look for and get away with alot,but if not you will have a tough time.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:20 AM

Do you still have relatives in Edmonton? Why not register it there and forget about the emissions BS entirely?

I'm thinking you could get your plates in Alberta and your insurance in Ontario so if there's ever a problem you won't get screwed on this.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:31 AM

I don't mind helping a fellow thirdgen'r, and, Well if you are interested, I know people that can pass your car, problem free for $150.00
Let's just say that its in Toronto. When the time comes, give me a shout if you want. thirdeye26@hotmail.com

latZ,

87GTA57L
Old 04-19-2002, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Eric2ndGen, that was going to be my backup plan. My father is in Edmonton, and he's helped me out in the past, too. Actually, Alberta plates would be nice, seeing as there's no front plate. I'll still keep that in mind.

87GTA57L, I'm probably going to take you up on that offer. You have mail.

I can tell that I'll be visiting this board a lot after I move, you guys have been really helpful. It's looking a lot more likely that I won't have to spend a few days wrenching, just to get my car back to stock for the test!

Last edited by NTChrist; 04-19-2002 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:37 PM

NTCHRIST, My computer is a piece of junk. I did not recieve your email ( account was over filled), nor can I get yours. Please email me again,

thirdeye26@hotmail.com

latz,
87GTA57L.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:27 AM
Supreme Member

Alrighty, email, take 2.