Third Gen Association of Ontario Regional message board for everyone in Southern Ontario and nearby regions.

SFC's Ordering

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56
SFC's Ordering

Ive decided on the Jegster SFC's after about a year of debating which style is best. I wont go into why, i just wanna know HOW.

All prices in USD

The sale price for the jegsters is $179.99 .
However, after all is said and done with tax, brokerage, handling, freight, oversize, etc... the new total is a whopping. $267......

Thats almost $100 OVER the sale price.

Anybody know how i can get these to Ottawa cheaper??? Anybody travelling to a jeg's store in the near future....????

I dont need these urgently or anything, just tryin to save some $$$.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Formula
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: SFC's Ordering

See if you can find a service near the borderon the US side that offers freight forwarding. Essentialy it is a warehouse that catches you parcel, you drive across and pick it up. There is no duty on car parts manufactured in the US when you com back. Duty on foreign parts is 6%. If you bring it across on your own there are no broker fees. If you were in Alberta I could tell you exactly who to use (in Sweetgrass Montana). They charge $5 per parcel per month they hold it. $16.50 per pallet per week for bigger stuff.

Another option is any shipping process that uses a plane typically doesn't have a seperate broker fee. Although shipping by plane is a cost unto itself.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Iroc Z
Engine: 383ci.
Transmission: WC-T5

The UPS store in Ogdensburg across from Johnstown does that. $5 a parcel, you pick it up and just pay the taxes coming back.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

Yea ive gone through Ogdensburg a couple times before for stuff. But its usually $40 in gas, i hate dealing with the border guards, and takes an entire day. SO it comes out to about the same in the end.

Im gonna see if maybe one of my freinds is doing the trip anyway, and wouldnt mind picking up the package.

TO Ogdensburg, it comes out to, $203..... MUCH MUCH better.

After tax, thats only $231. I would save $40, if i didnt drive down there myself.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Iroc Z
Engine: 383ci.
Transmission: WC-T5

Just make your own. Find some installed pictures on the internet. It's just square tubing with some weld flaps. I know I was disappointed when I paid $300 for some CE ones, and then opened the box to see how simple they are.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Supreme Member

i dunno if i trust my fab skills. Plus the jegs ones arent that simple. I was really impressed by them, because when installed, you CANNOT see them from the side, even on a NON-GFX car. Thats pretty cool.

I mean yea its just square tubing, but the jegs one, has a bunch of angles to it as well.
BUt i hear what ur saying about the big price tag. Hence the thread.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: LQ4 6.0L
Axle/Gears: 3.55 8.8

Wow, a whole day? I make it there and back in 2 hrs for about $20 return. Just save up a few things to be ordered and make a trip of it.

I have the Alston's onmy car and still think they are the best ones I've seen on a 3rd gen. I got them in southern ontario somewhere. RamAirBird had a custom set made and installed at Crilly Chassis works in Carp and likes them, you could check them out.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:20 AM
Supreme Member

2 hrs there an back for $20 eh....? Let me know the next time you go down, maybe u can pick em up for me.

I usually go with my freind's truck. Which we drive at 90 to save gas. And ofcourse since were not across the border everyday, we always take advantage of the supersize mcdonald's deals, etc etc....

Usually take about 4 hours there and back for us ......

Ill check out Crilly Chassis on Thursday.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member

Just wanted to say. I forgot to check out Crilly Chassis, but i will if i remember when im passing by next time.

But i did alot of research, and jegster's are the cheapest SFC's for our cars basically.

As for shipping, were screwed either way. I found a way to save $40, because a freind is going down to ogdensburg, and agreed to pick up my SFC's for me.

But with the location im in, ive learned that shipping, and driving down, is roughly the same thing in the end....... So if you plan on having ready made SFC's that arent used, plan on paying a minimum of $250.... Its just the way it is.

Now im trying to figure out,w hats the most economical way of getting a built rear end to my door, from Long Island NY.... The owner refuses to ship.....
Old 04-21-2008, 02:16 PM

Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4

I had my done at Crilly Chasis, dont remember what I paid but the car is rock solid. Ed used 2x3 and custom fabed everything. Really happy with the work, he also welded up my LCA relocation brackets. If you want to have a look, let me know I'm only about 5 min. from Eds shop.
Attached Thumbnails SFC's Ordering-frame-connectors10.jpg  
Old 04-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

That looks pretty damn good... It looks like he welded them the entire way along. Maybe ill get him to weld in my jegsters for me. I need some tube, or boxed stuff welded in from the connectors to the front subframe anyway, which might be a little too much to understand for some of the guys around here.

I dont regret getting the jegsters though, because they did a very good job of making them "invisible" from the side. Although, it doesnt look like you can see ed's from the side either.

Hopefully he charged atleast $250 to put them in, so i dont kick myself later about the price .
Old 04-21-2008, 07:13 PM

Ed did a great job and I'm really happy with his work. He has no problem doing custom stuff, he had made a driveshaft loop for me but when I took the tranny out last winter I had to remove it and since it was welded have not got it put back in yet. Just a recommendation to make an appointment early as he is always really busy, especially at this time of year.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: LSX 6.0 370, TU2 Cam, Fast intake
Transmission: T56 w/ lots of goodies
Axle/Gears: 8.8, Posi, 4.10, 31 Spline

I have UMI connectors myself and a few of my friends around here and we are all satisfied with them and there are around the price you are paying for the jegsters. Just putting my 2 cents in here is what they look like with the wonder bar, panhard bar, control arms and relocation brackets. Just giving you another option if you want one.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:31 PM

Car: 89 Trans Am
Engine: 3.1 V6

How much does Crilly charge to put in SFCs?......
Old 04-25-2008, 07:21 PM

I don't know what he charges just to do an install of prefabed ones. When he did mine he custom made the sfc's, did the lower control arm relocation brackets and a drive shaft loop. Give him a call, I'm sure he could give you a price or at least a ballpark. His number is 831-9176 and his shop is at 159 Tansley Drive.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Supreme Member

I wasnt happy with Crilly, they are jerkin me around. Hes tryin to do all this complicated stuff, its JUST A WELD JOB!!!!

I called a week ahead to say i was coming in for a very very straight forward job, could you fit me in? He says yea come on down, and we'll give you a quote. (i know its a busy time of year, so he may not have room, but hey thats business). SO i spend the $20 in gas and drive out to the middle of nowhere.

Super nice guy to talk to, and very knowledgeable. I told him ,i need the SFC's welded in they are aftermarket, direct fit, no mods required. And i need my bumpstops removed, can you do it?

So he goes into all this extensive detail, about how he will raise the car on the hoist, preload the suspension just right so my doors will open and close exactly perfectly. Then they will put the SFC's in place, and test fit them, and find the best possible location for them to be welded on. (so i told him again, they are DIRECT fit, you dont need to do anything fancy, the instructions tell you where they go). So he continues to tell me how he will look to see if the exhaust will work, and how he can modify the exhaust, etc.. etc....

Finally he takes me inside, takes down my info, and says he'll give me a call in a couple of days (probably next week) and will squeeze me in that week. I tell him, i could have talked about this stuff over the phone, can you give me an ACTUAL number for a quote....?

He gave me alot of ooohs and aaahs, and said well figure a maximum of $150 for the welds, and about the same for the bumpstops!!!! I said, well if i bring the car in with the SFCs installed (ie: bolted in) what will the cost be? He said it wouldnt change.....

$300 for a two fairly simple weld jobs???? No thanks.

On top of this, he didnt call me on Wednesday, or even the next week. When i spoke to him over the phone, he said (try again next week). Meaning we dont really wanna do your job, but u can try us anyway.

He seemed like a super-polite guy, and i know he does excellent work, but i dont have a terribly strong desired to be jerked around for weeks like that.

Maybe i caught him at a bad day, or something, but i wasnt impressed. I guess hes really good at what he does, and doesnt wanna waste his time with a quick easy job like this, that will pay very little for the amount of time he puts in.

Would you rather make $60 that day? or $360? I guess i understand.....
Old 06-19-2008, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: LQ4 6.0L
Axle/Gears: 3.55 8.8

What bumpstops are you removing?
The rears just bolt to the frame above the axle. I am sure the fronts are similar..
I had mine welded in at a muffler shop years ago..the guy did an OK job of it... you should weld them in with the car sitting on the wheels.
Why not bolt them in for now and have him weld them up when he can?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

Bumpstops im removing are in the rear. Its not so much the actual bumpstop thats the issue, but the protruding metal part thats gonna hit my wheels. So i need to cut that out and weld in a flat peice. I will probably have a muffler shop or my freind attempt this.

As for the SFC's i will probably do just that. But i dont want to have them bolted in for too long, incase the holes get elongated and the SFC is no longer in the same location. I will probably have a muffler shop do this as well, because i dont wanna pay $150 for a simple weld job.

I forgot to mention, i also asked him to connect the SFC's to the front subframe-rails. He may have quoted me high because of this.

Im trying to mimmic mw66nova's install. He just used pipes to connect them.