TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealth Ram swap ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stealth Ram swap ?'s

Okay I just got done doing some reading on the stealth ram set up. The holley website makes it sounds like the kit comes with everything to go from a carb to the stealth ram. I have an 87 T/A and I am curious as to what all is needed to go from my motor, (former lg4 car), to the stealth ram setup? Also how much would all of it cost? Finally, how much of a gain in fuel economy would I see? I guess thats it for now, more questions will surely pop up though.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:49 AM
Supreme Member

Do a search on this it has been brought up a million times now.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:33 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
well, this specific question hasn't really been addressed too many times, although eventually searching would bring up your answer.

Anyway... holley sells the stealth ram in 2 different ways. One is complete with everything you need to swap from a carb, except for the fuel pump and fuel lines. The kit includes ECM, harness, all sensors, fuel injectors, blah blah blah. The kit is $2700. The $450 kit that everybody here is buying is just the intake, plenum and rails, which is what we need to convert from TPI to the SR setup. The most affordable way for you to get into a SR is buy the $450 kit, then get the ECM & harness, throttle body & maybe a fuel pump off Ebay. Then you'll need to get any sensors that your carbed car doesn't have (which is most of them), but I'd buy those new. IAC, TPS (Used throttle body almsot always comes with these still attached tho), knock sensor (Speed density knock sensor is different than MAF sensor. I *think* carb cars use the same knock sensor as MAF cars), MAT sensor, MAF, and probably a couple more that I'm forgetting. Then it should just be little things, like throttle cable, TV cable, etc. Oh yeah... you're going to need a distributer with a divorced coil.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:57 AM

Okay, thanks, I came across the $2700 dollar kit later on last night. Thats really pricey. So it would definitely be much cheaper to go to a junkyard for some of the stuff. Now how hard would it be to swap from the stock wire harness to one from a tpi car? Also how does the ecm with the Stealth ram work? You just plug it into the tpi ecm? I am curious just how this configuration works because the commander 950 system looks very nice. Does anyone have experience with it?