TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaks, leaks, and more leaks...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 91 L98 long block with Pro-jection
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 91 10bolt w/ 3.42s and T2R
leaks, leaks, and more leaks...

Help!

Here's the deal- 90 Formula 350. A few months ago, I swapped the intake gasket (and runners, but that shouldn't be an issue), and since then, I've been hunting leaks. Originally, I had the coolant passage leak, which is why I changed the gasket, but since then-

Thermo. housing leaked where it met the manifold, out the rear bolt hole. Both surfaces good, new gasket... Took it off, put a new new gasket on, slathered it with ultra blue, and reinstalled. It still seems to seep under the head of the bolt just slightly (i used thread sealant also).

Fuel leak from what looks like the front drivers side injector. Puddles with behind the thermo. housing. New Accel injectors, with new o rings. The injector seems to be seated in, and I did check the rail where the crossover pipe comes in, and it's dry...

And the biggest PITA- Leaking oil down the back of the block somewhere. I SWEAR that I did the intake correctly, so I'm looking for other answers. Seems to be at the distributor where it meets the manifold. Should there be a gasket there? Where else would it leak from? Are there any bolts that go into the lifter valley? What about the bolt that holds the AIR tube that goes to the cat? Anything else? It's been a long time since I worked on SBCs, so I'm a little rusty on exactly what is where... This is somewhere on the back of the block, as it runs down and drips on the exhaust on the pass. side (of course). Not much is coming out, but enough to smell bad after a 15 min trip.

Help??

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2003, 08:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 GTA/ 00 TA
Engine: 383/350
Transmission: 700R4/T-56
Your fuel leak could be a messed up o-ring. It could also be a cracked injector. Both have happened to me.

There IS supposed to be a gasket on the distributor.

IIRC the bolt that holds the air tube is supposed to be a ground. It's a dead hole.

No bolts from outside the engine make it as far as the lifter valley.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 91 L98 long block with Pro-jection
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 91 10bolt w/ 3.42s and T2R
:hail: Thank you very much for the reply (I was getting worried).

I will have to find a distributor gasket. I don't ever remember using one on my old carb small block stuff, but then again, that was a while ago...

I'm hoping the injector thing isn't major. It'll be a real pain to pull the plenum and stuff to fix that. They are brand new injectors, but I know that's no guarantee that they're OK... I just HATE fuel leaks
Old 07-18-2003, 05:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 GTA/ 00 TA
Engine: 383/350
Transmission: 700R4/T-56
I did an o-ring swap with two replacement injectors in my beretta a while back. 6 months later 2 o-rings started leaking. Sucks having to go back and do the same job again.
Make sure you clean the mounting holes for the injectors and lube the o-rings before you put them back in. Doing this helps keep the integrity of the o-rings intact. Less chance of scratching or ripping.