TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running rich and blowing oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 04:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: 5.7 T.P.I.
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:23
running rich and blowing oil

I installed a cam (Crane 2032), AFPR, LT headers and 24# SVO injectors. With no PROM work the 24's obviously did not work out, the car ran terribly rich and fouled out plugs almost instantly. There was also fuel in the oil which I assume thinned the oil out so bad it was going past the rings and coming out of my valve cover breather. I put the original 22# inj. back in, changed the oil and filter about 3 times until the oil did not smell like fuel anymore and looks like clean oil when I check it on the dipstick. I just put a new set of plugs in replaced the v.c. breather with a hose running to the t.b. like it is supposed to be and took it for a ride, fuel pressure is right around 40 psi, within about 5 minutes of driving it starts running like crap (fouled plugs) and there is smoke coming from under the hood. Get back to the house and oil is all over the dipstick tube and on the engine where it has blown out, pull a plug and it is completely black, check the oil on the dipstick and it still looks good with no fuel smell to it. WTF! The car was barely driven 40 miles maybe, if that, with the 24's. Could that have been enough to ruin the rings? And what could cause it to still run so rich, even if the 02 sensor was bad could it foul the plugs that bad that quick? Engine is a 1990 5.7 TPI with about 100,000 miles, ran perfectly fine before and did not even burn any oil. I have not been able to drive the car for months due to this BS and limited time to work on it. PLEASE HELP, I need my car!

Thanks for any input
Old 10-02-2003, 10:41 AM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Did you install a "heated" or 3 wire 02 sensor??? That would cause it to run rich because the 02 isnt in the same place as it was stock, making it not heat up as fast...or at all. Also, there could be a problem with your head gaskets or an injector that has a bad or improperly seated 0-ring. Usually anytime you install a different cam, the ECM will not work properly. Sure it'll run, but the INT and BLM's are probably off the chart from differences in vacuum at idle....Just some things to check/think about. Hope that helps......
Old 10-02-2003, 11:17 AM

Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: 5.7 T.P.I.
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:23
I already have the 3 wire harness to hook up a heated sensor, I just have not installed it yet. I just cant believe that the 02 could cause it to run so rich that it fouls the plugs that quick without even giving me a SES light. As far as the cam and ecm, that is a pretty mild cam and should work fine with the stock ecm. The oil blowing is what is really scaring me because I have read on here that this is a sure sign of bad rings. And dumping to much fuel into the cylinders can wash the oil off the cylinder walls, not a good thing, but as I said the car was barely driven like this. I have a laptop already to use as a scan tool to find out what is up with INT and BLM's and such, I am just not sure how to make the cable connector. I think I would be better off buying a cable because I am not good with electronics.
Anyone know of other reasons that could cause the oil coming out of the dipstick tube?
Old 10-02-2003, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92' RS
Engine: 357
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 4.10
I had a problem with oil coming out of the dipstick tube and hitting the header causing it to burn bad under the hood. Come to find out it was the PVC. Pulled it and put on a breather filter. Dont know if that might help for you though. Good Luck
Old 10-02-2003, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Guess
Engine: Crazy 8
Transmission: So close to being a manual I can taste it
Believe that the engine can run so rich to foul the plugs and you won't get an SES light. Unfortunately, OBD 1 computers are not all that sensitive to engine performance variables like the later OBD 2 computers are. I know that I will probably get destroyed here for saying that, but hey, that is based on what I have seen. I have seen many plugs get fouled very quickly in my latest project. Man, after only a few minutes of idling those suckers were BLACK...Thats okay, I can tune it out, I hope...