TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rough running TPI

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rough running TPI

So here is the story: The car ('86 IROC 305) was running really rough through teh entire RPM range so I pulled the plugs and ran a compression check as I thought it may be a burnt valve. Every cylinder read 210-220 with most being 210 or so. All the plugs looked good except for #3 which was horribly fuel fouled. I checked the injector harness with a noid light (it indicated okay) and the compression was good. The reading held, losing 5 psi over about 15-20 seconds (leaking through the ring gaps I assume). I checked all of teh injectors with an ohm meter and two or three read 16 and the rest read 15 (#3 read 15). I put a new set of plugs in and the engine cleared up a bunch. Before, it would idle really rough and miss as you accellerated, but it was smooth as butter cruising at 80 MPH or so. The car throws a MAF code, but I have replaced it already. I have also replaced the internals of the dist and the plug wires (albeit about a year ago). Now, the car is much stronger. When you stand on it, it is a bit rough to around 2000 RPM then pulls like brand new until it at shifts 5500 rpm or so I believe. Long story short, I need to get rid of this lower RPM roughness. The car also smelled extremely rich (like burn your eyes rich) before I played with it this weekend, but it seems to be less now. I am at a bit of a loss. I was sure I had a huge problem with a dead hole and was ready to sell the car for what little I could get for it, but now that the car is seemingly checking out okay, I am not so sure I want to part ways. I like driving the car, it handles like a beast and stops on a dime (posi and 4 wheel discs rock!), but I am at a total loss for what the problem could be. Any ideas? I saw something about ALDL software, has anybody tried it? Does it work for things like this or is it more for viewing fuel tables? Which cable will I need to buy or make to make it work with my car? I hope it is teh cheap one! Thanks in advance for any help you are able to offer. Thanks again!!!!!
Old 11-17-2003, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Id say check your injectors again. I had the SAME problem on mine before and it turned out to be the injectors. My car ran really rough at idle, usually after warming up, but would run good on the Interstate, etc. You mentioned 15-16ohms for your injectors.....they are supposed to be between 11-14ohms resistance. Check them after the car has completely cooled off overnight. Observe the differences in your readings. The injectors could just be really dirty, but my guess the insulators are going out, causing them to lose or gain resistance when the temp of the intake manifold goes up. Good luck......
Old 11-17-2003, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92'Camaro RS
Engine: a loud one
Transmission: bolted to the engine
Originally posted by KYL98
Id say check your injectors again.
That is what i'de say to do also. I was having big problems till i got the right chip burnt for my car. But the car still idled rough and lacked power everywhere, so i put some fuel injector cleaner in it at it solved the problem so i figure that problem was in the injectors somewhere. But when i checked the resistance of my injectors they all checked in at the 16. ohms resistance. Everyone told me that sounded okay.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
could also be the ecm