TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next motor buildup! Suggestions needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Iroc-Z
Engine: 355 AFR'd HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Next motor buildup! Suggestions needed!

Ok, I am really getting itchy to get the next buildup underway. I currently have the HSR, not really happy with the results because I feel that the rest of my combo is totally wrong for it. Also, I have wanted to do this for a long time.... AFR heads and a nasty cam!

Ok, just so you guys know that I am not a total n00ber, I have been reading and researching for quite sometime but I want recommendations from you guys who have working versions.

What I have: HSR, 2800 Vig., 3.73's, 10.1:1compression, SLP 1 3/4" shorties, 3" exhaust, and a cam thats probably not helping me leave the high 13's. Its a .495/.502 218*/224* 110* LSA hyd roller. It makes torque. Obviously the rest of my setup when I have the AFR's won't be for tire shreading, stump pulling, damn near pulling wheelies on the street torque motor. What I really want is a motor thats going to have a very broad yet powerful hp and torque curve. Right now the 110* cam is very peaky and starts pulling really hard around 4500 but up to that point its kind of... blasse or however you spell that dang french word. So I want to make lets say 400bhp for a peak number but I want a hp curve like the astrodome not the eiffel tower. (I posted that on cz28.com too, I thought it was funny) Anyway, I want to have a nice all around powerful car. And I am gonna get COMP R lifters and an AFR Hydrarev kit to combat valve float as much as I can.

Now, what are your cam reccomendations? Obviously I am gonna want to go with 987 springs or higher if I go with Comp cams. Also, don't worry about tuning or daily drivability. I get pulled over all the time for it being loud and thats the least! of my worries. I want to run in the 12's, is this gonna be possible? What other little stuff will I need. I am gonna put this on my christmas list

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2003, 05:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Guess
Engine: Crazy 8
Transmission: So close to being a manual I can taste it
383+ if you have the money aluminum blocks kick ***!!
10:1+ CR,
HSR, port that ****...
224+cam, go for solid roller!!! Or hyd. with the Hydra Rev...
AFRs, ported, better springs, ARP rocker studs!!, titanium retainers and valves, good for RPM!!
Free flowing exhaust, Hookers are good
3.73+ rear gears, posi, slicks or drag radials!!
SUSPENSION work!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Ya know, the LPE219 and SuperRam w/AFR195s runs the 350 into the low 12's...maybe in the 11's if setup properly.

You cam "appears" to be bigger than the LPE219 (at least duration-wise), so I'd wonder about your current heads on the motor and if they're holding you back any.

I'd think, but not certain, the LPE/AFR and HSR could do as well as the Superram combo.... only leaves out heads for you.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:41 PM

Ok, seems that the general agreement is that my heads are holding me back a lot? Well the AFR's should cure that. But the 219 cam has higher lift numbers does it not? AFIAK thats a single pattern cam but what are the other relevant numbers? Hmm... a 383, well that would be nice but I simply don't have the money, tomorrow I go to court for a DUI appearance. The real **** part is that I blew just... over... the legal limit by about a half a beer. So, there goes $2000... which was a **** ton of mods. Legal limit is a joke... whatever anyway back on topic.

I am gonna stay with this bottom end until it gives up the ghost. It was rebuilt just 2 seasons ago.. about 15,000 miles I'd say are on it. Its a 355 bottom end and no plans (funds) to change that are avaliable. SO, basically I am looking at a kick *** set of heads, a cam to round out the combo and all the little goodies and I'll reach those stupid 12's I've wanted for so long?

Right now, its a general agreement that my motor was more capable than it showed... but perhaps a bad port job or tuning that was way off kept me from getting any closer.

So, give me a combo that works. Will the LPE 219 cam give me the performance I need? Remember the single plane HSR plays a factor here, should I look into getting a Holley cam for the application? Stay with the same manufacturer? keep it coming! I'm gonna try to stay around $2000 or so. Thats about what I'm gonna have.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:31 PM
Supreme Member

I was just having fun with my rec. mostly. Not to many of us have the money to spend on an aluminum block, tit. valvetrain, etc.

But the AFRs, or a comparable head, are necessary. Check out your options cause AFRs ain't cheap. I paid $1400 for mine!! That's almost your budget!! Check out Canfield, Topline(Pro Lightning?), Holley, there are some more, just can't think right now. Oh yeah, go over to the Chevy High Performance magazine website. They have on there site listings of flow bench numbers from like every head produced for SBC and BBC. That info should be good to see to help make a decison on heads. Do a search in google or something and you will find CHP's website.

As for cam, LPE 219 is a good cam. I think it is designed to work with the Superram which is why that combo is so effective. The breathing characteritics are similar with an HSR(much less restrictive than LTR, just so everyone knows thats all I mean!) so an LPE 219 should not do you wrong. You could go bigger if you want... My cam specs out to 224/236 with my 385/HSR/AFR combo. Just for comparison. Good luck..
Old 12-10-2003, 12:24 PM

Ok, LPE 219, sounds good but remember that I want the most power possible without regard for street manners. I can deal with little quirks and what not. I want the car to absolutely fly and if I have to sacrifice a little here and there, I can always make up for little stuff some other way like a vacuum pump to make up for reduced vacuum.

Anything gonna make more power with this type of a setup?
Old 12-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

When you say you want to fly and make lots of power without regard for street manners, what do you intend to do with the car?

I mean you could go with a huge by large solid roller cam with an equally huge intake manifold, some nasty huge heads, and taller than a skyscraper gears and you will tear up the track from 4000+....Is that what you want?

Or do you want to take it on the street?

Here's the most important question: How fast do you want to go? Make your answer very specific and we will get you there!!
Old 12-11-2003, 05:39 PM

Ok, where to start.

I don't care too much about street manners, I drove the car for an entire 6 months with a bad O2 sensor that would try to make the car stall out at every light. I also had a failing TPS and currently have no IAC hooked up. So, I have driven it with terrible problems before and no worries from me. Its the price I pay to go fast. But, I do want to drive it on the street.

Here, I want to keep the HSR and the 3.73's, Vig. 2800 and the SLP headers. Other than that the heads and cam will change, the rest of the mods are in the sig. and are minor but not gonna change either.

I want to run solid 12's. I figure that a 12.70 should be solid enough for me and thats gonna mph out to about 107-109 assuming I'm cutting 1.8 60's on my street tires. So Basically I have between 7 and 9 mph to go before I am solidly there every time.

AFR's, matching cam, programming.... should get me there because everything else is pretty much there already. Ohh, I'm gonna need to get a new fuel pump.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Okay, have you read the story in GM High Tech perfromance about the HSR install on an 86 roc? He ran a low 12 with a 350 and some other stuff. Don't get me wrong the car had lots of engine work, but so do you. I would say get the heads, any that have good flow numbers, you could stay with the cam you have now if you are only looking for 12.7s. Tuning is going to be where you will get the most out your combination...

Oh yeah, get all that stuff that was broken or faulty fixed, it will run better!!

I think because of the heads and half broken TPI setup is the reason you were only running 13.7s. Tuning was probably an issue as well...
Old 12-12-2003, 11:06 AM

Yeah the tuning was probably an issue here. I never did get that WB O2 setup though. I will sometime SOON though. Also, no matter what I did to that chip, I always ran about 13.7's @ 100.00 with the TPI and with the HSR on there. But then again, I did port the heads and install bigger valves when I put the HSR on there so I guess I could have been "even farther way off" with the tuning. Flying blind without a WB O2.......

The specs on that cam I have now, shows the powerband closes out at 5400. Not exactly stealth ram territory so thats my thinking in why I need a different cam in the beast.

Also, I need the quietest damn exhaust known to man. I'm sick of getting pulled over. Are there any mufflers that are just terrible quiet?
Old 12-12-2003, 12:43 PM

Car: 92Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: A4
My Dynomax is very tame. I haven't heard one on a car with headers and no cats though, although I am doing that to it now. I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it running again.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

I had a pair of Dynomax mufflers on my old Monte Carlo. While it had the stock 350 and just headers, 3" duals, of course no cats!, and mild engine work, it was very pleasing at idle and cruise, mellow. Then when you nailed it, they let you know there was in fact a car there. Just my opinion. Actually, I plan to have a new exhaust fabed up for my Camaro and I am thinking of using Borlas. My friend has a pair of Borlas on his Cobra and it just sounds awesome...I'll post that once it happens...

As for your combo, feel free to go with more cam if it suits where you want to be. My current combo seems to like the higher RPM range. She seems to really like 3500+...Haven't gone much past 4500 because the fuel tables are all stock 305 up there . But it sure does pull up there!!
Old 12-12-2003, 10:09 PM

Car: 92Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: A4
I agree borla's sound awesome. My wife's kick @ss ride has a Borla Cat back on it and it is VERY loud when you nail it. I suppose a ATI blown 383 pushing over 500 hp should be VERY loud but I know the local law knows our names.