TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project is finaly underway...sort of(56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Check The Sig
Project is finaly underway...sort of(56k beware)

Wow, its been a long time since Ive posted here, but here is what I have done so far.

ga'bye air pump

intake there

now its gone!

there she is...

radiator is out too.

(little bit of antifreeze still coming out of the WP) The garge should smell like crap for a good month.

fuel rails

runners (and tb in the box)

I stopped with that right now. I am going to remove the AC condenser, valve covers, and then start cutting up the exhaust. Cutting the air pump out of that engine bay looks like it cut a crap load of clutter. I have all the brackets and what not so I can put it all back laterl... but right now Its gunna stay off.
Tonight Im gunna take a crack at them air tubes on the manifolds. I already broke one after I got a little upset...
Removing the smog pump looks like the engine dropped 100 lbs.
Ill take more pictures and so forth as time goes on.

Few questions. There is a metal can looking thing tapped into the rear of the block. I dont know WTF this is? Could it be for EGR? I didnt trace where it all goes, I just saw this metal can. Its like right next to the dist. Its in the 2 intake pictures.
I will be back for updates!
Old 02-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Corvette Coupe
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4/4L60 same trans different name
thats your oil pressure sending unit dude
Old 02-23-2004, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 Caprice Classic
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: TH-700, completely built
sorry, but what are you doing, anyway?

Stripping everything for a drag car, just seeing how much crap you can take off and still run it on the street, 383 fire-breathing stroker, or what?

just the curious part of me speaking out
Old 02-23-2004, 09:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by wako29
sorry, but what are you doing, anyway?

Stripping everything for a drag car, just seeing how much crap you can take off and still run it on the street, 383 fire-breathing stroker, or what?

just the curious part of me speaking out
fuggin newb....

coughreadthesigcough....

Not going in any direction, nor making any type of super strip car. Just doing a little modding here and there, but eventualy moving twards a goal I have set for myself, but that plan isnt going to be done for some time.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:43 PM

Car: '86 Caprice Classic
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: TH-700, completely built
Originally posted by bigals87z28
fuggin newb....

coughreadthesigcough....

Not going in any direction, nor making any type of super strip car. Just doing a little modding here and there, but eventualy moving twards a goal I have set for myself, but that plan isnt going to be done for some time.
your sig doesn't say anthing but your mods. I was asking what your plans were. So don't call me a newb
Old 02-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 6.3L Victor EFI
Transmission: Tremec TKO 600
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"/4.11 Trac-Lok
Yeah, I really not sure what your point here is either.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:15 PM

Car: I
Engine: Taunt
Transmission: Mustangs
Look again...

Project ZZ305 starts 12/19/03!!
*ZZ4 cam, Ported 081's, Hedman 68470's*
Old 02-24-2004, 05:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 1SICIROC.....1999 TransAm
Engine: 385 HSR.....LS1
Transmission: 700R4 with Midwest 3400 2.4str...M6
Axle/Gears: SLP Zexel Posi unit 3.42's...3.73's
OH my oh my!!!!!!
Your doing the same thing I just got finished doing......watch ouT!!!! one thing will lead to another and then another..and then again, another! ...etc!

Im still at it, gotta tune this puppy. Just got the header y-pipe attached today cause SLP screwed up the joining of the 2 piece Y on the Tri-Y's I bought, had to cut it off and attach a 1.5" piece of pipe or it would not line up with the other.

Now I need to dirve it 15 miles to another shop and get them to run me a 3" pipe inplace of the CAT. shhhh dont tell anyone!

When I drove it back from the shop today I could tell Im going to need some tuning cause it doesnt feel like it got any power. It may just be not have the full exhaust on..I just hope!

Ive got post all thru here about the problems Ive come across with my cam and header install. But again I must warn ya!....one thing will lead to another since you have it torn that far down. I just did appearance stuff cause I just hated putting dirty engine parts back on.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:32 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Dustin Mustangs
Look again...
thank you....

Wishmaster,
yeah, Im starting and stopping....starting and stopping. I have school now, and Im looking for a job. Lack of funds is whats stopping me right now. That and lack of time and overall crappy situation that going on right now with me is cutting into my wrench turning. I know Im gunna probably have a tuning problem, and I wish I could get that fixed asap but dont know of anyone that can burn me a prom just to get by till I finaly figure out what im doing with prom tuning.

I have a feeling Im gunna have some problems putting back the accessories, but maybe not. We will see soon. I might just leave all that AC out, and probably put it back later on when my real project gets under way. Ill be on the look out for your threads. Ill probably have to because ill get the same old "search" reply.

and to make clear what Im doing
Im doint a ZZ4 cam install along with putting on a set of ported LB9 heads along with Hedman headers and y pipe.

update: I got the valve covers off, and have the bolts on the manifold lose, but cant get to where it connects to teh y pipe. Any tips guys?
Also, I was checking my pushrods, and a lot of them are lose enough to where you can twirl them pretty easily. Is this a good thing? Im gunna go ahead and say no, but not sure. Some are snug, some arent.

Last edited by bigals87z28; 02-26-2004 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by Wishmaster's87IROC
OH my oh my!!!!!!

Now I need to dirve it 15 miles to another shop and get them to run me a 3" pipe inplace of the CAT. shhhh dont tell anyone!

I don't think we need to tell anyone
Old 02-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Transmission: 700R4
Also, I was checking my pushrods, and a lot of them are lose enough to where you can twirl them pretty easily. Is this a good thing? Im gunna go ahead and say no, but not sure. Some are snug, some arent.
If the rockers wern't clattering before, I wouldn't worry about it, they should "pump" back up once the oil pressue get's going.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 1SICIROC.....1999 TransAm
Engine: 385 HSR.....LS1
Transmission: 700R4 with Midwest 3400 2.4str...M6
Axle/Gears: SLP Zexel Posi unit 3.42's...3.73's

I just readjusted my valves after running my initial startup cause I was sure I didnt get them tight enough. Anyways,,,,when I put my headers on and I would crank it up there was always this extra pop sound that I knew wasnt the header sound and it was coming for the rear of the motor where the headers end...I then put my y-pipe on and the sound moved with the extra length...once I got my exhaust finished..I could here it at the tail pipes.....some say it was the sound and I knew for some reason it wasnt ...well when I removed my valve covers and checked my rockers...they had to be tghten down....and on the number 8 cylinder it was really loose...after I got them tighten downa nd cranked it up the pop sound was gone....so I guess it was the valve not opening or closing all the way ..which ever? glad that taken care of.....no valve clicking at all now...

I just turned the crank a little and any pushrod that I could turn I tight it down till I couldnt...then I would turn the engine more and keep going till I was satisfied......