TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Woe's. Need some suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2000, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Z28
Engine: 406
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" with 4.10s
Fuel Pump Woe's. Need some suggestions?

As everyone knows, getting to the damn fuel pump on these things is a real pain. I should know cause I just did it again for the fourth time(over the last 5 years)

Here is the problem on my 89 TPI 305.

I ran the car out of gas the Friday night. I knew it was low, but was late for work and was only a 1/4 block from the gas station. When I left work I got caught at a light. Pulling from the light the car started to hesistate, but it chugged itself to the station. After refilling it (completely, just my luck) I could not get it to restart.

I jumped a 12v volt to the G term on the diag terminal inside the car and the FP would not come on.

Towed it. Dropped it. Replaced it. Replace the filter.

Then the battery went dead. So I had to throw it all together to move it out of the garage to get a jump.

After all that, it would not start. The pump comes on as normal when you first turn on the key, but I am not getting any pressure. Could air in the lines prevent flow. Do I need to bleed it. I went as far as disconnecting the connection before the fuel rail and vacuum pumped gas from there. Still no pressure.

Did I get a bunk pump? I hear it run, but even if I disconnect it at the tank, no fuel comes out.

I NEED TO FIND AN EXTERNAL MOUNTED PUMP!!!

THIS IS THE LAST DAMN TIME THAT I WILL EVER DROP THAT DAMN GAS TANK!!!!

Please help me any way you could!!

Thanks
Mike :

------------------
Michael Graeber

My Garage

1)83 Z-28 T-Top: Full cage, 9" w/ lad.bars, Midwest Engine Tech 406sbc,Strip Dominator, Demon Carb, Phase VI Chevy Bowtie heads, .630" Crower roller set-up, 1 3/4 coated Hookers 3" true dual exhaust th400, fuel cell & still not running

2)89 Formula WS-6 305 TPI Auto For the road: minor motor, more suspension stuff. MODS
Old 09-26-2000, 04:42 PM

Anybody?????????

The only thing that I can conclude is that the pulsator is not sealing right.

I guess I'll try to see if the filter became clogged again.
Old 09-27-2000, 10:19 PM

Well, you might have clogged your fuel filter when it went low.. See if you can blow through it..

Or like you mentioned, the lines coming from the pump to sender are not on securely, and blowing fuel out back into the tank.

I would first check the fuel filter, or run the pump with the line disconnected and see if fuel shoots out.. If not...EEK...you probally need to drop the tank... If the conections to the pump look good, you might have gotten a jip pump.
Old 09-27-2000, 11:37 PM

Yeah, I did just that.

The thing that spooked me is that I changed the fuel filter before I even tried to start it with the new pump in place.

It turned out that the pulsator connection came out completely when installing the pick-up in the tank somehow.

Luckily, I have made a removable panel to get into the tank w/o even dropping it just like alot of imports have now a days(and they don't even have a rear end, exhaust and suspension bars underneath the tank!?!))

After 7 years of in-tank pumps, why the hell didn't GM think of this.

Of all the things that I have had to do to this car, nothing comes close to the PITA job of changing the fuel pump. NO MORE!