TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP, constant SES light, no codes, and engine wont run!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-5... in need of slight rebuild
HELP, constant SES light, no codes, and engine wont run!

Here is the story... car ran fine so I parked it for the night and took out the diagnostic cable (Steve Ruse cable) because he accidently forgot to put in the 10K ohm resistor. I wanted to put in my own so I wont have to jump the resister myself all the time, no big deal just something I wanted to do. So I reconnected everything and left it for the night. Yesterday morning the car started (with the fan running) and ran really rough for about 5 seconds, then died.... it cranks and wants to run, but only for 5 seconds. So I try to check the codes and the SES light stays on all the time!!! even with the paper clip it... doesn't flash anything at all never mind a code.. just stays lit. I disconnected the computer and the light went out like it is supposed to. I figure it is a bad computer so I buy another remanufactured one and same thing!!!! The only code I got was about 2 weeks ago and it was a code 42... something about the distributor. But, that was only once... similar condiditons, ran really rough then stalled, gave me a code, then started and ran fine!!
What do I do now, I already bought a new computer for $100, and gave them my old one. I tried to check the sensors and relays to see if they fried the computer... but wouldn't you think the computer would be able to protect itself somehow instead of just dropping dead? I checked all of the fuses, I have fuel pressure, the starter works, and I check the connections from the ALDL to the computer... what gives!!
I just swapped the TPI from a carb and everything was working fine for about 2 or 3 weeks so I really doubt it would be a crossed wire, if it was wouldn't the computer last another 2 or 3 weeks before it died too! I had to reuse the original cal pack and chip, well the one that I modified. But the computer should still give a code even if I take out the chip and go into limp home right? It seems like the computer just died and cursed all that follow!

------------------
'86 TA, T-tops, T-5, 3.73, 4 wheel disks 350, compucam 2040, performer intake,SLP Headers, 3" race magnum muffler, 1.6 Comp rockers, Ripper shifter, perf. friction pads, Hypertech ignition, Earls brake hoses, Hotchkis springs, Tokico Illumina 5 adjustable shocks and struts, Lakewood panhard and trailing arms
14.50@ 97 with carb... now converted to TPI
Old 08-06-2001, 04:14 PM

Somebody has to have an idea, just give me some ideas it might lead me down the right road .
Old 08-06-2001, 04:43 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 GMC Pickup
Engine: 383 SBC Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4/VIG 3200
Ok, don't call me dumb, but. . . Mine has a fuse under the hood, in the wiring harness near the battery. Did you check it?

------------------
_ ___ _
SMasterson
Old 08-06-2001, 07:02 PM

Yup, I checked them. I have 2, one powers the fan, and the other goes to the relays. Can't remember if it goes the the ECU, but the fuse is fine.
Thanks for the reply.