TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting the TPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjusting the TPS

Alright guys, I've searched and searched and searched again. I need to know specifics only how to adjust the TPS. I am new at all this Fuel Injection stuff. I had a problem with my 89 Iroc-Z where the car would start fine when it was cold but once the car warmed up it would just crank and crank but would not start. Someone on the board said something about getting a new TPS so i did. I put it on and started the car. It started right up and i let it run for about 10 mins. It was idleing high around 2500 RPM. I shut the car off after it was warm and then tried to start the car. It started right up so i figured the TPS fixed the problem. Then i was reading on here about adjusting the TPS. I know that coming out of the plug should read 5 volts which it does. I am just unsure how to test to make sure the sensor is reading the .54 volts. where and how should be i be testing this. From the plug or the sensor? where should the test leads go. I have a digital meter. I have tried this every way i can think of and im just going around in circles. Im not very good with trying to figure out electrical stuff. But i would like to adjust this thing myself rather then taking it to a shop. So Please if anyone can give me some specific info on exactly how to adjust this thing it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 PM

Car: 2000 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 4.10s
Re: Adjusting the TPS

With the TPS plugged in and your ignition on, put the volt meter in the top 2 terminals. It should tell you what it's reading and just loosen the screws and move it up or down accordingly.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45

https://www.thirdgen.org/tpimod2
Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 PM

I have seen that Link you gave me and actually printed it out and took it with me but my problem is...I don't know where to put the test leads. If the plug is connected to the TPS should there be holes that im not seeing for the test leads to go into. Or should i just push the test leads into the wires till it actually hits the copper wire inside? I know this problem seems really dumb to all of you but i just don't understand. I am totally new to all this. I've worked on carbs all my life up until the camaro.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 PM

Car: 2000 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 4.10s

Took me awhile too. I felt pretty stupid when I found out how easy it was. Just push the wires a little to the side and stick the test leads in there. I believe the red is on 2nd hole, and the black is in the top one. If you have it wrong, I'm pretty sure all it does is just make the number negative but it'll still give you a value to go by. I never pushed through the wires so it hit the copper, but I don't know where it really is when the test leads are all the way in. Good luck.