TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look what I found when I did my fuel pump trap door!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look what I found when I did my fuel pump trap door!

I guess this Beck guy sucks haha.

Name:  DSCF2139.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  86.0 KB

It was written above the fuel tank. Anybody know a guy named Beck who used to hang tanks at the GM factory? lmao.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Re: Look what I found when I did my fuel pump trap door!

If you're going to cut an access panel, you could at least use the correct size hose clamps.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355ci L98 soon to be turbo'd
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi

lol
Old 08-01-2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Apeiron
If you're going to cut an access panel, you could at least use the correct size hose clamps.
Thats funny, because those believe it or not...are the correct size.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:16 PM

Car: iroc
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.43

Originally Posted by F-Body Demon
Thats funny, because those believe it or not...are the correct size.
actually there are smaller clamps you can buy and you wont have so much excess clamp sticking out when you tighten them down . they should be fine though . that looks to be only 1 size to big ..
Old 08-01-2008, 12:38 PM

Car: 87 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Transmission: stage2 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 for now

who gives a rats ***....cut the remainder off with tin snips
Old 08-01-2008, 01:01 PM

Car: iroc
Engine: 350 tpi
Axle/Gears: 3.43

Originally Posted by rv1890
who gives a rats ***....cut the remainder off with tin snips
yes he should do that so it does not rub on the rubber lines . but you should give a rats *** because the bigger the clamp the bigger the screw head , and when you tighten them down to a smaller size than intended the clamp tends to make and oval shape rather than a round and it can leak .
Old 08-01-2008, 01:07 PM

Car: 87 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by F-Body Demon
I guess this Beck guy sucks haha. It was written above the fuel tank. Anybody know a guy named Beck who used to hang tanks at the GM factory? lmao.
Could refer to the singer Beck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beck

I know some people can't stand his music. Not sure how writing that on your fuel tank would help anything though, lol. Still pretty funny.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:51 PM

Car: 1988 Trans Am, 2005 Sierra 2500
Engine: Vortec 357
Transmission: Built TH700R4 with 26-2800 Stall
Axle/Gears: GM 10 bolt 3.73 Posi

Originally Posted by 87GTAj
Could refer to the singer Beck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beck

I know some people can't stand his music. Not sure how writing that on your fuel tank would help anything though, lol. Still pretty funny.
we see things like this on new cars all the time. Poeple at the assembly lines mess with you and/ or other workers by doing shady things to new cars. heres a good story you all will laugh at and yes its true:

Me and a buddy work at a GM dealership. Ive only been there for about 4 1/2 years now while he has been there since 1994. Back in 1996 he remembers working on a 1996 Chevy Camaro Z28 SS. The customer complained on a rattling noise coming from the rear end, and the car only had 2,100 miles on it. So he tore apart the rear end, nothing. Tested the suspension of rattles, nothing. The if you listened close enough you could rear a small thumping coming from the fuel tank every now n then when you rocked the car... He pulls the gas tank, pull out the fuel pump and reaches around inside and guess what he finds..... a 120z PLASTIC SPRITE POP BOTTLE WITH A NOTE IN IT!!!! and the writting read as follows: I bet you couldnt figure this noise out huh????!!!!!!! The man who assembled the fuel tank put a bottle with a note in the gas tank just to mess with the customer, or so we assume..... He has pictures on his toolbox that he took with a kodak camera and still has the note.. Weve also torn apart dashboards because certian vents wont work and found food wrappers such as candybars wrappers and whatnot stuffed in blower motors, or crammed down in the vent housing. Its just stuff like this that make me wonder what may be laying in my car unnoticed. sorry it was so long everyone.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Iroc Z28
Engine: The KING of the 3rd gen TPI's.
Transmission: Beefed up T5
Axle/Gears: Aussie 3.45's

I believe it. Put that together with the fact that GM builds crappy new cars and you'll have your answer as to why people are generally fed up with buying GM vehicles.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:50 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65

Originally Posted by freestylzz
I believe it. Put that together with the fact that GM builds crappy new cars and you'll have your answer as to why people are generally fed up with buying GM vehicles.
Agree, but it possibly happens with all mfgs.

You also find the occasional tool that was not picked up and was rattling in doors, etc.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:09 PM

we once found a coke bottle swinging behind the rear seat, in the same manner as described above.

another time, the heavy guage wire for the blower motor was wired to ground, and every time the blower was turned on, PUFF, blew a fusible link.

On my personal van, the upper shock mount was never bolted in. It was left flopping around.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:39 PM

Car: 1992 RS 6spd
Engine: Carbed 357c.i.
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Soon to be Strange S60

Found a note on a peice of plastic in my heater core box when I changed it, it read "My life and this dash board both suck. Guess yours does now too." Pretty sure the guy who owned the car before me wrote that though lol.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 357cid
Transmission: T5 Swap
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 7.5" 3.23 soon to be 3.73

I was workin on an old cutlass 1972 iirc.... i found vintage coins and i guess a previous owners condoms that were lets just say expired for more than a few years
Old 08-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 392 Likes on 335 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Originally Posted by TADailyDriver
we see things like this on new cars all the time. Poeple at the assembly lines mess with you and/ or other workers by doing shady things to new cars. heres a good story you all will laugh at and yes its true:

Me and a buddy work at a GM dealership. Ive only been there for about 4 1/2 years now while he has been there since 1994. Back in 1996 he remembers working on a 1996 Chevy Camaro Z28 SS. The customer complained on a rattling noise coming from the rear end, and the car only had 2,100 miles on it. So he tore apart the rear end, nothing. Tested the suspension of rattles, nothing. The if you listened close enough you could rear a small thumping coming from the fuel tank every now n then when you rocked the car... He pulls the gas tank, pull out the fuel pump and reaches around inside and guess what he finds..... a 120z PLASTIC SPRITE POP BOTTLE WITH A NOTE IN IT!!!! and the writting read as follows: I bet you couldnt figure this noise out huh????!!!!!!! The man who assembled the fuel tank put a bottle with a note in the gas tank just to mess with the customer, or so we assume..... He has pictures on his toolbox that he took with a kodak camera and still has the note.. Weve also torn apart dashboards because certian vents wont work and found food wrappers such as candybars wrappers and whatnot stuffed in blower motors, or crammed down in the vent housing. Its just stuff like this that make me wonder what may be laying in my car unnoticed. sorry it was so long everyone.

I have seen this happen with corvettes. Aluminum cans inside the door panels to rattle and drive the new owner crazy. Really sucks that someone would do that though. Just proves why GM is in trouble.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fast355
I have seen this happen with corvettes. Aluminum cans inside the door panels to rattle and drive the new owner crazy. Really sucks that someone would do that though. Just proves why GM is in trouble.
And whats funny about it when we find these type of problems is, we get paid to fix and and the vin and serial number go back to the plant to be tracked down by whoever was working that station who installed those parts and they most times get fired. Now it is hard to say wether that specific person did it, but thats for GM to deside, not us. But it seems to me that GM really dont look over inspections very well as evry car that comes off the assembly line goes through vigorus inspections before being loaded on a truck and shipped out for delivery. So its not only the workers faults, but the inspectors for not finding these "suprises". In my opion there are many to be at fault. And yes i have pulled some other things from corvette doors besides cans. Just 3 weeks ago we got a brand new 08 Z06, and there was a rattling coming from the b pillars on both sides of the car behind the passenger and driver seats. To my amazment after pulling the interiour panels i pulled out with my magent stick 21 ball bearings! each about the size of a small nut. Luckly noone had bought the car yet as the salesman had heard the noise during a test driver with a customer then brought it to our attention. So now our dealership makes us do the same vigrous inspections that they recieve before leaving the plant when they come to us. We only do it on the custom built/requested cars/trucks as those are the ones what are most vunerable to tampering with. But why should i complain, im making money off the deal hahaha.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:12 AM

Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: World Class T-5 5speed manual Trans
Axle/Gears: STOCK G92 performance 3.42

That sh*ts hilarious! I read a note in my bathroom at work that says something like this is a misdemeanor. Selling something of less value than face, or selling something as new when it is used. stuff like that.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

It is not limited to GM

I worked at honda building Accords, Acura TLs and Acura RDX's
Harmless things like that go un-noticed quite often

Destructive tampering was usually when a person wanted to leave and they usually messed up several before being discovered and dismissed

Worker documentation is quite specific there
the vin and serial number go back to the plant to be tracked down by whoever was working that station who installed those parts and they most times get fired
A problem car's VIN can be led back to the factory sequence number which can be followed throughout the entire production process
This tells which specific worker did what job, what time, what shift and circumstances as to why the job was not done correctly

On my personal van, the upper shock mount was never bolted in. It was left flopping around.
It happens
Old 08-02-2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Pocket
It is not limited to GM

I worked at honda building Accords, Acura TLs and Acura RDX's
Harmless things like that go un-noticed quite often

Destructive tampering was usually when a person wanted to leave and they usually messed up several before being discovered and dismissed

Worker documentation is quite specific there

A problem car's VIN can be led back to the factory sequence number which can be followed throughout the entire production process
This tells which specific worker did what job, what time, what shift and circumstances as to why the job was not done correctly

It happens
yes its all very true, and very scary. In some ways it steers me away from wanting to buy a new vehicle all together because of things like this. Its amazing how many times this has happened to comsumers, and yet nothing has never came up about it in the news, or papers. You would think something would be done to stop this sort of stuff, but it is very hard to tell when it happens and where it is happening the most because it depends on the worker, not the plant itself.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:01 PM

I tore a small block in a 69 Nova down under warrenty to find a knock. I thought it was a bad wrist pin but what I found was a bolt on the wrist pin rattling around. It scored the cylinder wall so bad the block had to be replaced. Back then a new engine wasn't installed. All the original parts that were still good went into a fitted block (that is a block with pistons). I saw a lot working in a Chevy dealership in the late 60's. i know for a fact there are LS6 Chevelles that left the dealer without original drivetrain parts due to theft or swapping. I changed out a 4.10 rear in a 70 LS6 because the customer wanted a 3.31 ratio. Just went out to the new car holding area, found a Chevelle with the right ratio and swapped the complete rear end. We had a red LS6 arrive on a flat bed truck with no interior, engine, trans or rear end. It had been stolen from the train yard and stripped. I reassembled it with a CE motor and all the correct parts but it was no longer a number matching car. If the original owner still has that car I'll bet he is wondering what happened
Old 08-02-2008, 05:47 PM

Car: '91 Z28 L98 G92
Engine: Modded L98
Transmission: Modded 700R4
Axle/Gears: Modded 10-Bolt

Originally Posted by TPI El Camino
I tore a small block in a 69 Nova down under warrenty to find a knock. I thought it was a bad wrist pin but what I found was a bolt on the wrist pin rattling around. It scored the cylinder wall so bad the block had to be replaced. Back then a new engine wasn't installed. All the original parts that were still good went into a fitted block (that is a block with pistons). I saw a lot working in a Chevy dealership in the late 60's. i know for a fact there are LS6 Chevelles that left the dealer without original drivetrain parts due to theft or swapping. I changed out a 4.10 rear in a 70 LS6 because the customer wanted a 3.31 ratio. Just went out to the new car holding area, found a Chevelle with the right ratio and swapped the complete rear end. We had a red LS6 arrive on a flat bed truck with no interior, engine, trans or rear end. It had been stolen from the train yard and stripped. I reassembled it with a CE motor and all the correct parts but it was no longer a number matching car. If the original owner still has that car I'll bet he is wondering what happened
And in the late 70's, when import sales forced GM to close plants, I'll bet the schmucks who were ripping off customers one week, and getting laid-off the next week are still wondering what happened

Bill

Last edited by Burnout91; 08-02-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 POS monte carlo 2015 chevy P/U
Engine: 92 5.7 tpi 5.3
Transmission: 700r4 6L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.42 too high

i've seen few things, nuts & bolts in the tires, in the A/C vents, & on top of the headliner. marbles in a driveshaft once. marbles or ball bearing in the rocker panels, & BBs on top of the dash speakers.

probably the best one is back when i was in school a friend of mine didn't want to have to worry about car problems when she went off to college, so she bought a brand new car. she got the most stripped down chevy impala they had on the lot & paid cash for it. on the way home she noticed a rattle. after a good many trips to the dealer to fix it, she saw the owner of the dealership & demanded that he fix the noise. he took a short drive in it with her. he pulled up the the body shop & had the body shop manager bring a cutting torch to the car. after cutting thru the fender, he cut open the side of the firewall were its completely enclosed at. they found a crushed beer can with a note, "bet you had he!! finding this one, didn't you?" Mr A. J. Foyt told her to pick out any car on the lot, she didn't think about it & got a caprice.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 357cid
Transmission: T5 Swap
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 7.5" 3.23 soon to be 3.73

Originally Posted by TPI El Camino
Thats a scary thought... but numbers matching cars FTL im in it for the love not the money... i want a POS v6 powerglide car to build up rather than a mint #'s car that i cant touch!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:08 AM

Car: 92 Camaro
Engine: El Tee Juan
Transmission: Tee five six
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 4:10's

Try wandering the junkyard and actually finding a third gen fbody that has the trunk popped, then you open the trunk to see what may be stashed back there, and theres a pile of someones s*** they left there. Obviously someone that couldn't hold it any longer in the junkyard. Oh yeah, it's nasty
Old 09-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z, '71 RS
Engine: 305 TPI/ 350
Transmission: 700R4/TH350

I found some rotten chicken and a half eaten sandwich in the door of a 99 camaro. The owner had just brought it from the dealership. LOL.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:27 AM

Car: 92 Camaro
Engine: El Tee Juan
Transmission: Tee five six
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 4:10's

Lol @ that!
Old 10-11-2008, 05:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW

My buddy recounted this one from when he was a teenager.

His dad owned a Celebrity that always made a clunking noise on left turns. It being a used vehicle, he had ball joints and everything else that makes clunking noises when it goes bad replaced. And it still made noise. After getting irate with the shop he was having it worked on at, they tore out the interior around the pillar where the roof goes to the trunk (b-pillar, I think) and cut a hole in it. There was a ball bearing with a hole drilled through it on a string with a note that said, "This is the clunk when you make left hand turns."
Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 AM

Car: 84 sport coupe
Engine: stock lg4
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock?

My dads friend used to work work at a plant building K cars, and welded beer tabs inside of body panels and stuff that would jingle all the time while driving. He got fired eventually. I think he said he did like 100 cars before they caught him lol. I have a K car for a DD car right now, but it doesnt rattle luckily
Old 10-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Jesus this is a scary thread!!!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:51 PM

Car: Suzuki SX4 and a 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.0L in SX4, 5.0L in Camaro
Transmission: Auto in Sx4,5 speed in Camaro
Axle/Gears: No Idea yet

It happens on boats too. I used to work at a boat factory, and we had a customer who needed to replace the walls over the bed in his cuddy cabin due to water damage. On the back of his paneling, was written "I had sex with my boss in this boat before it left (name of boat company)!" The line where that boat was made had a 2nd shift foreman (Forewoman?) who was known for sleeping around. Upon questioning, she admitted to it and named the guy who wrote it. I'll leave it to your imagination as to how she kept her job....
Old 10-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 L03 700r4 RS
Engine: 1987 WS6 Trans AM Lb2
Transmission: Th350 red neck Performance 3k stall
Axle/Gears: 95 Mustang 8.8 built with 3.73s

Turn on your television right now and you will see where this kind of "America owes us" behavior got everyone. I've never done a job that I didn't take pride in, hearing about people doing **** like this out of jealousy/ignorance makes my blood boil. Whatever happened to us being the industry leaders who took pride in everything we built!?
Old 10-24-2008, 12:31 PM

Car: '91 Z28 L98 G92
Engine: Modded L98
Transmission: Modded 700R4
Axle/Gears: Modded 10-Bolt

See post #21.

Bill
Old 10-30-2008, 09:25 AM

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Car: 90 Formula 350
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.54

Originally Posted by BrOdBaNd
Try wandering the junkyard and actually finding a third gen fbody that has the trunk popped, then you open the trunk to see what may be stashed back there, and theres a pile of someones s*** they left there. Obviously someone that couldn't hold it any longer in the junkyard. Oh yeah, it's nasty
may want to try a van its more private to do your DOODY in there. and remember dont go to Hooters and have 3 mile or bentley wings evening before going to junk yard- trust me
Old 10-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10

Originally Posted by Saigon_Bob
Thats a scary thought... but numbers matching cars FTL im in it for the love not the money... i want a POS v6 powerglide car to build up rather than a mint #'s car that i cant touch!
What came factory with a v6 and a powerglide???? a straight 6 would make sense..
Old 12-21-2008, 11:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi Disc

I worked for a local GM dealership in the early 80's. We had a Caprice come in with a rattle in the upper dash. After several test drives and tearing the dash apart we found a Skoal can with some loose bolts inside with a note that read. "Took you a while to find this one!" It had been electric taped in the upper dash to a duct. Makes you wonder?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:39 PM

Car: was 85 TA, 91 TA both sold
Engine: was 406, now 305 tpi
Transmission: 85 had700r4,350..91 had t5
Axle/Gears: 323,373,342

Originally Posted by 1991CamaroRslow
Turn on your television right now and you will see where this kind of "America owes us" behavior got everyone. I've never done a job that I didn't take pride in, hearing about people doing **** like this out of jealousy/ignorance makes my blood boil. Whatever happened to us being the industry leaders who took pride in everything we built!?
Man for a while I thought I was the only one that could see the damage being done. The only justice is these people seam to have the same pride in what I like to call ignorant arrogants, prison over flows with them.

Along to same path in my home town back in the 80's the local ignorant arrogant guy stole a jeep painted it with white house paint and drove for weeks and abused the snot out of it. Years later he purchased a jeep and had problems with it, when he took it apart he found...you guessed it WHITE HOUSE PAINT. The only thing better is if he went to prison and played catcher with his bunk mate. When you make your bed lay in in!

sorry for the long post...blood stiill boiling.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 89RsPower!
What came factory with a v6 and a powerglide???? a straight 6 would make sense..
Buick Skylarks and Specials from about 1964 onward.

Although not as destructive as some of the above stories, I found this in the diaphragm chamber when tearing down a Holley 1685 from a Wright radial:

Last good Holley made:

Last edited by Vader; 09-08-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Updated image links
Old 12-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 POS monte carlo 2015 chevy P/U
Engine: 92 5.7 tpi 5.3
Transmission: 700r4 6L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.42 too high

Kilroy was everywhere, LOL
Old 12-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!

Sh*t like this is the reason why I completely disassembled/cleaned/rebuilt my car from the ground up. I even took interior down to metal and to the firewall. I didn't find anything like the above. The assembly people must have had a good day when mine went together!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:10 AM

Car: 1984 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: L69
Transmission: THM-700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Posi

I think I'm going to tear into my Trans Am and see what I can find
Old 08-31-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: L31, LT4 hot cam
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:43 LSD

I love it. Diagnosing a rattle:

>bad part
>crash damage
>bad build quality
>or just the guy who built your car screwing the General and its customers
Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86WS6 30K and 82WS7 24K
Engine: 86:305 TPI, 82: 305 LG4
Transmission: 86:700R4, 82: T200C
Axle/Gears: 86:3:27 9 bolt, 82: 3:23 10 bolt

We bought an 83 Trans AM new. The car was special ordered and I watched them unload it from the car transport. The car was never a DD, but was bought to be a weekend cruiser. When the car was about three years old we noticed some rust bubbling up on the bottom of the passenger door. The car had less than 10K miles on it, and was a garage baby. We lived in South Georgia where there is no road salt, and no beach rot. Cars bodies last forever in that part of the country. There was no other rust anywhere on the car. The hole got very large very fast, and one day when I opened the door and a crushed 2D cell flashlight fell out of the hole onto the ground. I placed the remains of the flashlight in a plastic bag and took it to the dealership. Of course the car was out of warrenty, so the dealership would not fix the car unless I paid for the work. They quoted me a price on a new door skin, and a welded patch on the bottom of the door for $1,800.00. I contacted the factory rep, who said that anyone could have dropped the flashlight inside the door. The only problem is that the door panel had never been removed since new. I told them to get s*****. I had previously bought seven cars from that dealership, but never traded with them again. I went to a wrecking yard owned by a friend and bought a perfect door off of a wrecked 82 Camaro. The door was the same color, and I installed it myself. Another friend who owned a body shop resprayed the outside of the door, installed the moulding, correct stripe, and it looked perfect. Total costs was less then $400.00. There is no way to know for sure if the flashlight was left on purpose, or by accident, as there was no note. It could have been dropped and forgotten, so I don't feel angry at GM workers for the incident. The dealer could have cut me a little slack, but chose to be hardnosed, and lost future business from me and our family. Sorry this story is so long...
Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that's a story that's been going around since 1980's. I actually heard that when I worked at a dealership in 1981.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 90 IROC
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23

When I was looking at cars in 1990, I went to a dealership to look at a white IROC. It was on the showroom floor and really looked nice, only it was wearing 1991 wheels and tires. The GM of the dealership had no idea how or why it was that way. Right.......yeah that's the ticket.

The car I finally bought came with an orange dash badge (supposed to be yellow) and an RS emblem in the driver's rocker panel. It had 23 miles on the odo the first time I drove it. No signs of any paint repairs or damage anywhere, just the wrong emblems. My car was built in dec 89 the last month of production for IROCs. Maybe they were out of yellow badges and just f'd up the rocker by sticking the wrong emblem in.

EDIT: The back side of the knee bolster has 6-12-89 written on it in the same type marker as the OPs. Since my car was built in Dec (door sticker) I assume that it was 6 DEC 1989. Must have been ex-military to date it like that by putting the day before the month.

Last edited by afremont; 10-08-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

I hope all these sabotage stories are actually just urban legends as I have torn apart many cars and never seen that, but I have found lots of random bolts and tools in cars.
In particular, about half the f bodies I've stripped had a wrench in the front bumper., so if you have a loud banging sound up front......
Old 10-11-2012, 05:10 PM

Car: 92 Firebird--02 Grand Prix GTP 2Dr
Engine: Poncho 400--3.8 Supercharged
Transmission: T56 6 Speed--4T65EHD
Axle/Gears: Open 10 bolt 3.42--Internal 2.93

i personally think these kinds of things are funny. id get one hell of a laugh if i found something like that in any of my cars
Old 05-18-2015, 08:24 PM

Car: 1990 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 l
Axle/Gears: 373

I was Service Manager at Do#$e dealership. Tech's found large spiders in Neons made in Mexico. Non-English speaking Plant managers came to visit with the local bigwigs and everything. Was so glad to get back to GM after leaving car business.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

This thread makes me want to pull up my carpet and take out my interior and check. My car is a Norwood car from 1986 which is pretty close to when that factory closed down.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: LB9 (305 TPI)
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Positraction

Wow...And here the only thing I've ever found in my cars was loose change under the carpets and the build sheet for my '84 Texas DPS SSP Mustang.