TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injector flow and fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector flow and fuel pressure

Need some help to sort through this issue. I have been e-mailing a local guy who only does TPI proms and here's what he said about the Bosch Type III's I got from John at FIC.

Quote "OK, Here's part of the problem. The injector only flows 204cc's at 43.5 psi (3 bar) and is not a direct replacement for 350TPI. This guy is full of bs, and I've got a customer in Sacramento to prove it. Stock TPI from 89 thru 92 flowed 215 cc's (20.7 lb) with a fuel pressure of 47 to 48 psi at the rail which equates to 22 lbs. Your 86 305 regulator has 37 psi, which when calculated using your injector is equal to 18 lbs. So you're running it super lean and it could blow at anytime. Do not drive the car.
http://www.witchhunter.com/flowdatapix/b0280155700.jpg
OK, If you get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and your fuel pump can handle it. You could push it to 55, 56, or 57 psi and make that under sized injector work. You probably have an inline Walbro type pump which can do this, or you gotta get bigger injectors.
You can send me your memcal, and I can make it run better, but it must be a TPI memcal, or it will never run right. If all three you are TPI, I'll send you one back and give you hundred dollars. I charge $60 to reprogram yours alone.
Hope this helps you understand what's happening. I'd like to shoot this clown who sells injectors Ford uses on 5 liters as 22 lbs. Worst part is TPI in 85 used 23's at 39 psi to equal 22, and their 86, 87, and part 88 used a 230 cc installed at 43 psi." end quote

The reason I was looking into a new prom was I swapped out my 305 with 19lb injectors for a 350 so I called FIC and he told me the Bosch III's were 22 pounders and direct replacements for my 350.

The car starts and idles fine and at cruise speeds runs excellent. When I'm on it it seems to have a lean hesitation/stumble and a minor bit of pop at the TB. My fuel pressure is between 38 and 40 with the stock FPR. BTW Autozone list the same FPR for the 305 and 350.

I am a very curious as to why FIC, who sounds very knowledgeable and comes highly recommended by this site would say his injectors are the same as factories. I'm also curious about having to push my fuel pressure up into the mid 50's to get these injectors to perform properly.

I'm still on a learning curve with all this so before I drop any money on an AFPR and prom I'm going to pull my plugs first to get an idea how lean, if at all I'm running and second I'm getting an ALDL cable to get a datalog from my current setup.

So after all that what do you think about the Bosch III's being smaller than stock as well as what the prom guy said about fuel pressure?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:41 AM

Re: Injector flow and fuel pressure

Stock TPI from 89 thru 92 flowed 215 cc's (20.7 lb) with a fuel pressure of 47 to 48 psi at the rail which equates to 22 lbs. Your 86 305 regulator has 37 psi
Gotta raise the flag here
The regulated pressure isnt somewhere between 37 and 48 psi depending on year make and model, they're... the same. And neither of those two values is right, either.

Maybe he should just program your chip to what your car wants and forget about what he thinks its going to do.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:38 PM

I talked to Jon at FIC and he basically said the same thing. Jon states his injectors run 22lbs @ 43.5lbs of fuel pressure. Since I'm suspecting a lean condition although I'm not overheating I'm going to check plugs and fuel pressure while driving. I'm also going to spend my $60 on an ALDL cable and do some datalogging before I go overboard.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on this.

Thanks,

ps I give a big thumbs up to Jon at FIC. After he read my e-mail he got on the phone immediately to talk to me about this issue. He even offered to swap out my 22lbers for 24 at no cost. He said he would do whatever it takes to make me happy. That kind of service goes along way with me.

Last edited by norcalace; 10-14-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:45 PM

Car: 89 iroc
Engine: l98
Transmission: tremec

Originally Posted by norcalace
I talked to Jon at FIC and he basically said the same thing. Jon states his injectors run 22lbs @ 43.5lbs of fuel pressure. Since I'm suspecting a lean condition although I'm not overheating I'm going to check plugs and fuel pressure while driving. I'm also going to spend my $60 on an ALDL cable and do some datalogging before I go overboard.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on this.

Thanks,

ps I give a big thumbs up to Jon at FIC. After he read my e-mail he got on the phone immediately to talk to me about this issue. He even offered to swap out my 22lbers for 24 at no cost. He said he would do whatever it takes to make me happy. That kind of service goes along way with me.
we have a small chevy club up here. Every member with multec injectors replaced them with Bosch III from jon. He gave us a great deal on a group buy. Believe me we have no issues at all. A few cars that had issues like you had vac leaks, bad egr, bad regulators etc. There is a video on u tube showing the flow of the bosch 3 side by side with a stock multec and a pink top 22. here it is watch it. Also if you go to the corvette forum there are many many posts about guys raving about these. The guy whichhunter is probably pissed off that Fic is replacing all these injectors. There are other injector dealers selling these also. SB injectors, Five O motorsports etc. they all have flow tested these at our pressure and all are 22. There are too many guys here running these with no problems
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emnax2J4FX4
Old 10-17-2008, 01:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

So did you get the 305 19 lb'ers or the 350 22 lb'ers? FIC sells both of them.

Stock TPI from 89 thru 92 flowed 215 cc's (20.7 lb) with a fuel pressure of 47 to 48 psi at the rail which equates to 22 lbs.

^^^ Wouldn't 20.7 lbs at 47-48 psi work out to 19 lbs at 43 psi? Who said 47-48 psi was stock? I know when I got PCMForLess to do my chip they were extreme on saying that the pressure be set for 43 psi. FIC runs their youtube videos at 43 psi as well.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:33 AM

Car: 89 iroc
Engine: l98
Transmission: tremec

Originally Posted by Reid Fleming
So did you get the 305 19 lb'ers or the 350 22 lb'ers? FIC sells both of them.

Stock TPI from 89 thru 92 flowed 215 cc's (20.7 lb) with a fuel pressure of 47 to 48 psi at the rail which equates to 22 lbs.

^^^ Wouldn't 20.7 lbs at 47-48 psi work out to 19 lbs at 43 psi? Who said 47-48 psi was stock? I know when I got PCMForLess to do my chip they were extreme on saying that the pressure be set for 43 psi. FIC runs their youtube videos at 43 psi as well.
the 19lbs for the 305 is the same injector but tan in color, the 22 is orangey.. we have seen both and most guys use the orange in my club, all I know is my car never ran better. Fuel pressure is always 43.5. some 305 at the club were 37, they put in afpr and go. At least we have a replacement for the POS multec that fits and is hassle free.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:24 PM

Update; I have the orange top Bosch IIIs. I took the car out Wednesday with my pressure guage taped to the windshield. The fuel pressure was spot on at idle cruise and WOT. The car ran like a raped ape.

I did throw a 44 code, lean 02 reading. I got my new ALDL cable today and will be datalogging tomorrow. The code could have set itself before Wednesday as the system was learning my driving habits.

I was a little concerned about my 110 lca cam but it is only 217 @0.50 and 442/454 lift so it's on the mild side.

Idle is perfect and no overheating. The plugs only have about 60 miles but are starting to get a brown blush to them so if it is lean it can't be much. The data log should tell more.

Glad I bought from FIC and Jon. If I do need to tweek my prom I'll probably get the stuff and do it myself.

Thanks all for the info and support.

Vega's rock!!

Last edited by norcalace; 10-17-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling