LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready? - Page 2 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Go Back  Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > TPI
Reload this Page >

LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 PM
  #51  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Hinesville, GA USA
Posts: 938
Car: '86 IROC-Z/'94 Z28
Engine: 350 LT1/382 LT1
Transmission: 4L60-E/T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.45/3.42 (soon 4.10)
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

I just want to say that these run great if you get an LS pattern SBC cam made... I did one and it came out awesome!

I just finished up freshening up the 350 TPI in my '88 GTA and am getting ready to do another stroker LT1 based TPI engine. I'm having problems doing the 427 TPI because I can't find the crank I need anymore...nobody makes 4" 1pc rear main sbc cranks anymore, not even Eagle. I was hoping to run one of those in a '99+ Silverado.

I really would like to see a BBC TPI run with a similar setup. I've got a Gen VI engine that I am seriously considering stroking to a 496 and running it with a custom fabbed intake manifold.

...because I'm sick
dhirocz is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 AM
  #52  
Member
 
kad5118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 178
Car: 91 gta ws6
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700 R4 TRANS
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

wow thats insane so the efi connect system should really wake up my 408 tpi sbc then,
kad5118 is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 03:30 PM
  #53  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Is it possible to tune an LS3 pcm to run a tbi configuration?

I think a tbi motor with coil per cylinder would be cool.

What's the prognosis S10Wildside?
doctorcad is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 04:28 PM
  #54  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by doctorcad View Post
Is it possible to tune an LS3 pcm to run a tbi configuration?

I think a tbi motor with coil per cylinder would be cool.

What's the prognosis S10Wildside?
Prognosis is negative.

I see two challenges off the top of my head.

1. The LS3 controller requires electronic throttle. More than that, it requires two throttle position sensors. I suppose you could mock up two sensors to satisfy the ECM, but I have no idea what issues (if any) you'll have with the ECM not controlling the throttle motor.

2. The LS3 controller requires sequential fire injection (8 injectors). The calibration does not allow for two injectors. I'm not aware of a batch fire mode.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 05:31 PM
  #55  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by S10Wildside View Post
Prognosis is negative.

I see two challenges off the top of my head.

1. The LS3 controller requires electronic throttle. More than that, it requires two throttle position sensors. I suppose you could mock up two sensors to satisfy the ECM, but I have no idea what issues (if any) you'll have with the ECM not controlling the throttle motor.

2. The LS3 controller requires sequential fire injection (8 injectors). The calibration does not allow for two injectors. I'm not aware of a batch fire mode.
How's about the LS1 pcm? It can control a coil per cylinder setup, no?
doctorcad is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 06:30 PM
  #56  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

The TBI TPS and IAC should be fine with LS1 PCM. But now you are stuck at the 8 injector requirement.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 08:14 PM
  #57  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: p'cola FL
Posts: 2,311
Car: 88 iroc-z/28
Engine: 408 lsx
Transmission: 5800 stall
Axle/Gears: 4.71
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

why would you waste the time doing a coil conversion on a tbi motor if it was even possible?
stage20 is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 PM
  #58  
Member
 
Camaro305SB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
Car: 87 Camaro
Engine: 305 LG4 (H)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

I was thinking the same thing.....All I can see that is gained is the ability to truthfully say "I did it"..... I know of PLENTY of TPI motors that run like raped apes using the stock style fuel system/computer. I mean if you really want the ability to control parameters like you would an LS1.... then just use an LS1.
Camaro305SB is offline  
Old 01-08-2011, 08:35 AM
  #59  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by stage20 View Post
why would you waste the time doing a coil conversion on a tbi motor if it was even possible?
Originally Posted by Camaro305SB
I was thinking the same thing.....All I can see that is gained is the ability to truthfully say "I did it".....
His question wasn't "Tell me why I don't want to use TBI?"

This is a "to each his own" sort of thing. In my opinion TBI was dead after 1995 and the benefits of sequential injecton, and the electronics that come with it, make TBI much less desirable for a conversion, but I answered his questions directly.

I know of PLENTY of TPI motors that run like raped apes using the stock style fuel system/computer. I mean if you really want the ability to control parameters like you would an LS1.... then just use an LS1.
This is a poor argument. Running like a "raped ape" implies wide open throttle and disregards 99% of typical operating conditions. The LS1 PCM runs circles around the capabilities of the TPI ECMs. Swapping in an LS1 engine has so many added costs because of motor mounting, exhaust, front accessories, transmission, etc.

I know PLENTY of TPI and LT1 owners who have counted the costs and were better off converting to the LS1 PCM than swapping in an LS1 engine. Using the LS1 PCM is of interest to a very small segment of TPI owners...and there is nothing wrong with that.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 AM
  #60  
Member
 
Camaro305SB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
Car: 87 Camaro
Engine: 305 LG4 (H)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Arguement? Heh, all I did was state a fact. Most of those cars run just fine under part throttle conditions as well. If someone wants to do all of their own R&D of a new fuel/spark control system just to get another 2-3 mpg out of their sports car, then fine - I guess its just me that thinks its not worth it. What I don't get is how you think its more work to swap in an LS1 but its not too much work to completely change the computer control system of an engine that was engineered with a totally different system. An LS1 with an LS1 PCM will run ten times better than a TPI with an LS1 PCM. During idle, part throttle, and WOT conditions. Fact.

Having said that I totally understand your point that everyone wants something different and it is interesting from a research standpoint to see a CNP conversion. There IS nothing wrong with that.
Camaro305SB is offline  
Old 01-08-2011, 09:34 AM
  #61  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by Camaro305SB View Post
Arguement? Heh, all I did was state a fact. Most of those cars run just fine under part throttle conditions as well. If someone wants to do all of their own R&D of a new fuel/spark control system just to get another 2-3 mpg out of their sports car, then fine - I guess its just me that thinks its not worth it.
Apples to Oranges.

What I don't get is how you think its more work to swap in an LS1 but its not too much work to completely change the computer control system...
It's basically just a new engine harnesses. Hardly compares to the amout of work involved in putting an LS1 engine into the car.

...the computer control system of an engine that was engineered with a totally different system.
The same "LS1" PCM was used with the Gen 1 SBC (we're talking TPI long block here) in the 2001-2002 Express Van.
The same "LS1" PCM was used with 4.3L engines in the 2001-2002 S10s, Blazers, and Vans.
The same "LS1" PCM was sued with 8.1L BBC engines in the 2001-2002 trucks.

An LS1 with an LS1 PCM will run ten times better than a TPI with an LS1 PCM. During idle, part throttle, and WOT conditions. Fact.
Not a fact. Been there and done that...so have many others. You can't state something as fact and have no data or experience.

Here's one solid example of the dyno proven improvements:
http://www.eficonnection.com/media/S...MayJun2010.pdf

Here's a testimony to the improvements on another SBC engine:
http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7131

Specifically from above...
Originally Posted by Silent Thunder
Benefits from the 411 (LS1 PCM) that I can tell already (just 5-10min of playing with the throttle), smoother idle and faster throttle response. When I heard everyone talking about how smooth the idle is, I just couldn't imagine anything smoother than it already was. I can't wait to see how it idles with the marine intake on the 383. Although the cam that is in the stroker may not be very smooth during idle. I'd rather have a smooth/rough idle from a cam than just crappy factory settings from the "black box pcm".

If anyone is out there contemplating this swap, DO IT !!! I was on the fence when this swap started being popular, but now that I have tasted the "greener grass on the other side of the fence," I would be very very suprised to see anyone perform this swap and NOT be satisfied.
And these are comparing mid-late 90s technology to the LS1 PCM.

Look - the "LS1" PCM is simply a control module that takes inputs from the same sensors as are used with TPI engines and controls spark and fuel delivery for 8 cylinders.

...the computer control system of an engine that was engineered with a totally different system.
It is true that an LS type engine is a better design than the early Gen 1 SBC engines. That's not what we're talking about here. But it's an ubsurd argument that the "LS1" PCM will control an LS1 engine any better than its ability to control any other 8 cylinder engine. That's like saying a FAST ECU (which can control any 8 cyl GM engine) has some additional advantage when used with an LS type engine.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 01-08-2011, 09:40 AM
  #62  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (26)
 
Justin89Formy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Moneta, VA
Posts: 2,106
Car: 89 formula 350
Engine: ls1 magnuson tvs2300 supercharger
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.11 Dana 44!
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

camaro305 it sounds like you're trying to sound educated on something you have no actual experience with. I was one of the first to have this 411 pcm swap done with Mikes harness. I went from a mild 350 with a mail order chip that ran "ok" to the LS1 style pcm, and even with a STOCK TUNE for a VAN my car ran a TON better than it ever did with the stock ecm and a tune. Once I got my car dyno tuned it ran like a brand new vehicle, literally.

This is an amazing swap, and is DEFINITELY much easier (and CHEAPER by THOUSANDS) than swapping in an LS1 drivetrain. I cant believe you're even trying to make that argument lol
Justin89Formy is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 04:38 PM
  #63  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Okay, here's another one for you S10Wildside:

Can your 58x DBW system run an MPI 4.3L V6?

I blv you can get a plastic timing cover for that engine with a crank sensor provision.
doctorcad is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 07:18 PM
  #64  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by doctorcad View Post
Okay, here's another one for you S10Wildside: Can your 58x DBW system run an MPI 4.3L V6?
Yes
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 PM
  #65  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Norton,KS
Posts: 22
Car: 86 Camaro base model
Engine: 350ci
Transmission: 700r4 (t56 hopeful)
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

I've been doing some reading on this and I'm really interested. My only questions (may be stupid but I can't find any info) does the harness available for the standalone streetrod have have all the wiring for injectors and everything. The reason I ask is because I'm debating on a single plane square bore (carb style but with injector bungs) efi inake like the edelbrock super victor efi and using an elbow with the ls1/ls6 style throttle body. Am I on the right track? I'm sure there is someone out there that has done something like this but I haven't found anything.
cmmcginnis is offline  
Old 03-16-2011, 06:23 AM
  #66  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by cmmcginnis View Post
I've been doing some reading on this and I'm really interested. My only questions (may be stupid but I can't find any info) does the harness available for the standalone streetrod have have all the wiring for injectors and everything. The reason I ask is because I'm debating on a single plane square bore (carb style but with injector bungs) efi inake like the edelbrock super victor efi and using an elbow with the ls1/ls6 style throttle body. Am I on the right track? I'm sure there is someone out there that has done something like this but I haven't found anything.
A stand alone type harness includes everything from the PCM connectors out to the engine sensors, injectors, ignition, battery, grounds, and transmission.

Every harness is built to the customer's requirements. I see nothing wrong with what you are planning to do.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 03-16-2011, 12:55 PM
  #67  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Norton,KS
Posts: 22
Car: 86 Camaro base model
Engine: 350ci
Transmission: 700r4 (t56 hopeful)
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Awesome I kinda figured but just thought I would ask. Thanks for clearing that up
cmmcginnis is offline  
Old 03-29-2011, 03:17 AM
  #68  
Member
 
snake70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: northford ct
Posts: 333
Car: 1979ta, 1981 formula
Engine: 400 sbc 403 olds
Transmission: th350 th400
Axle/Gears: 308 373
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

If a intake is Fabed up and sensors used could this run a old pontiac engine? Or a Buick? Call me crazy but I'm trying to fab a lt1 style intake for a 74 Pontiac 6.6 engine and this seems to be perfect for running the old beast
That could open a new market of sales!!!!
snake70 is offline  
Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 AM
  #69  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by snake70 View Post
If a intake is Fabed up and sensors used could this run a old pontiac engine? Or a Buick? Call me crazy but I'm trying to fab a lt1 style intake for a 74 Pontiac 6.6 engine and this seems to be perfect for running the old beast
That could open a new market of sales!!!!
Of course it could. With the proper 24x crank signal on ANY 8 cylinder engine, you can use the LS1 PCM.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 PM
  #70  
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southwest, NH
Posts: 60
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I have a question about getting my tach to read the correct signal from the pcm. I have done this swap in my 88 Firebird, and i got a dakota digital box (sgi-8) to convert the signal so my stock tach will read correctly. I will work until the motor gets up in the rpm's and then it stops moving up. I have just about tried every combination on the dakota box to make it read correctly but with no luck. Anyone use one of these for this swap? and/or gotten it to work right.
lakin454 is offline  
Old 05-27-2011, 04:49 AM
  #71  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by lakin454 View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I have a question about getting my tach to read the correct signal from the pcm. I have done this swap in my 88 Firebird, and i got a dakota digital box (sgi-8) to convert the signal so my stock tach will read correctly. I will work until the motor gets up in the rpm's and then it stops moving up. I have just about tried every combination on the dakota box to make it read correctly but with no luck. Anyone use one of these for this swap? and/or gotten it to work right.
Strange...the 1989 GTA we did for GM High Tech Magazine used the SGI-8 box with no issues. A buddy's 1990 GTA also used the SGI-8 box with no issues. Not sure what to suggest.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 07-20-2011, 11:04 PM
  #72  
Junior Member
 
Kingbambino22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: El Paso, Tx
Posts: 30
Car: 1992 Camaro
Engine: 1992 TPI 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 1992 stock 3.23
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

How will the cruise control work with a 92 TPI 5.7 Camaro with a 4l60e trans swap? Will you still need to run the stock still cruise control setup?
Kingbambino22 is offline  
Old 07-21-2011, 06:19 AM
  #73  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by Kingbambino22 View Post
How will the cruise control work with a 92 TPI 5.7 Camaro with a 4l60e trans swap? Will you still need to run the stock still cruise control setup?
The cruise control module is looking for a 2,000 pulse per mile signal from the original TPI ECM. After converting to the LS1 PCM, this 2,000 pulse per mile signal is simply provided by the LS1 PCM. It's all done seamlessly through the new engine harness.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 PM
  #74  
Junior Member
 
Kingbambino22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: El Paso, Tx
Posts: 30
Car: 1992 Camaro
Engine: 1992 TPI 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 1992 stock 3.23
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

That's a good thing. Now for power adders will it pretty much be the same a adding a supercharger to a LS1 engine when it comes to tuning? My end result is a superchargered and nitrous power 92 Camaro. I don't want the dufficulties of chip burning cause my job(Army) won't allow the time or wallet sake of long dyno sessions. I want things a easy and cost effective as possible. I'll willing to pay to play just want to make sure it's worth the play price.
Kingbambino22 is offline  
Old 07-23-2011, 06:56 AM
  #75  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by Kingbambino22 View Post
That's a good thing. Now for power adders will it pretty much be the same a adding a supercharger to a LS1 engine when it comes to tuning? My end result is a superchargered and nitrous power 92 Camaro. I don't want the dufficulties of chip burning cause my job(Army) won't allow the time or wallet sake of long dyno sessions. I want things a easy and cost effective as possible. I'll willing to pay to play just want to make sure it's worth the play price.
LS1 system (or EFI 24x SBC) + EFILive + Moates RoadRunner Emulation LS1 PCM + Wideband O2 Sensor = Incredibly fast tuning

That formula above is not cheap, but if you are willing to pay to play, then that's your winner.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 08-25-2011, 11:00 PM
  #76  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Convoy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Somerset, New Jersey
Posts: 806
Car: 95 Z85 S10, 99 Formula
Engine: 4.3 CPI , LS1
Transmission: NV3500, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

i saw the post about the MPI v6 so i'll shoot mine..

would it be any more of an effort to do it to a CPI 4.3L vortec v6? specifically out of a 95? (has cruise control fwiw)

would the swap be worth it?
Convoy25 is offline  
Old 08-25-2011, 11:55 PM
  #77  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (5)
 
BlackenedBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 2,893
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by S10Wildside View Post
It's basically just a new engine harnesses.
Maybe I am misunderstanding this whole conversion. But isn't it a LOT more than "just a new engine harness"?

New timing cover + near timing gear + new distributor + + +......?
BlackenedBird is offline  
Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 AM
  #78  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by Convoy25 View Post
i saw the post about the MPI v6 so i'll shoot mine..

would it be any more of an effort to do it to a CPI 4.3L vortec v6? specifically out of a 95? (has cruise control fwiw)

would the swap be worth it?
As far as I'm aware, there are no cable throttle coil per cylinder calibration files from GM for V6 engines. You cannot begin with a V8 calibration and turn off two cylinders; it does not work that way. There are calibration files that support V6 electronic throttle and coil per cylinder, but that gets you into the newer ECMs and a lot of unknowns.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 AM
  #79  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding this whole conversion. But isn't it a LOT more than "just a new engine harness"?
Yes, you have not read this thread very well.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 08-26-2011, 10:43 AM
  #80  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by S10Wildside View Post
As far as I'm aware, there are no cable throttle coil per cylinder calibration files from GM for V6 engines. You cannot begin with a V8 calibration and turn off two cylinders; it does not work that way. There are calibration files that support V6 electronic throttle and coil per cylinder, but that gets you into the newer ECMs and a lot of unknowns.
I'm gonna try the eficonnection 58x crank reluctor and billet small block timing cover w/ sensor. The 4.3 V6 roller cam block (without balance shaft) shares a timing cover with the original small block.

Figuring on a Delphi MEFI4B and no cam sensor running the '08 LU3 coilpack in wasted spark. The injectors will run bank to bank. Plug the distributor hole with a mallory plug/oil pump drive. Should be pretty solid I think.
doctorcad is offline  
Old 08-27-2011, 05:11 AM
  #81  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by doctorcad View Post
I'm gonna try the eficonnection 58x crank reluctor and billet small block timing cover w/ sensor. The 4.3 V6 roller cam block (without balance shaft) shares a timing cover with the original small block.
You may beat me to it. I have a 92 Typhoon engine planned to try out the 58x reluctor and 4x distributor. The engine needs a rebuild first.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 08-27-2011, 07:01 AM
  #82  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Convoy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Somerset, New Jersey
Posts: 806
Car: 95 Z85 S10, 99 Formula
Engine: 4.3 CPI , LS1
Transmission: NV3500, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

i will definetly be following. instead of using a Gen 3 small block computer, could one use a V6 computer from those years to accomplish the same thing?

would one see a rise in fuel economy from this?
Convoy25 is offline  
Old 08-27-2011, 07:08 AM
  #83  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by Convoy25 View Post
i will definetly be following. instead of using a Gen 3 small block computer, could one use a V6 computer from those years to accomplish the same thing?
It's as I said above...
Originally Posted by S10Wildside
As far as I'm aware, there are no cable throttle coil per cylinder calibration files from GM for V6 engines.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 10-04-2011, 01:10 AM
  #84  
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Lincoln, Missouri
Posts: 155
Car: 1980 Regal
Engine: 383 Superram
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt w/ 3.31 posi
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Wow! This is awesome. I have a question tho. I want to keep all the factory emission equipment from my TPI engine when I swap it into my gbody. Can this be done?
tpi88camaro is offline  
Old 10-04-2011, 01:16 AM
  #85  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by tpi88camaro View Post
Wow! This is awesome. I have a question tho. I want to keep all the factory emission equipment from my TPI engine when I swap it into my gbody. Can this be done?
No, you cannot use the TPI emissions equipment...with the one exception of the charcoal canister purge solenoid.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:22 PM
  #86  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Gibbstown, NJ
Posts: 1
Car: 1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
Engine: 76mm ITS Turboed 383ci LT1 Stroker
Transmission: M6/T56 6-Spd
Axle/Gears: 343
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Does anyone know if EFI's connection cam sensor set-up used in the 24x system will work with an accel gen 7 DFI with a MSD flying magnetic crank trigger??????? What will actually distribute the spark signal to the coils??

My plans are to replace my opti with the cam sensor and bolt on MSD crank trigger to my ATI balancer. I have a set of LS1 coils, and a MSD 6AL2 box.

Any feedback from expierence/knowledge will help, thanks!
mxhockeydrummer is offline  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:46 PM
  #87  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (5)
 
BlackenedBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 2,893
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by S10Wildside View Post
No, you cannot use the TPI emissions equipment...with the one exception of the charcoal canister purge solenoid.
Ah.....So that makes the conversion a non-smog legal conversion then.

My question is though.....What part of the conversion prevent using the factory smog equipment? The positioning of the coil packs on the valve covers, is the only thing I can come with at first look, in the way of the smog equipment on the passenger side.
BlackenedBird is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 06:13 AM
  #88  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird View Post
Ah.....So that makes the conversion a non-smog legal conversion then.

My question is though.....What part of the conversion prevent using the factory smog equipment? The positioning of the coil packs on the valve covers, is the only thing I can come with at first look, in the way of the smog equipment on the passenger side.
Electronical imcompatibilities. The LS1 PCM simply won't control the TPI smog equipment. No EGR temp switch control. No smog pump solenoid(s) control.
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 AM
  #89  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (5)
 
BlackenedBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 2,893
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by S10Wildside View Post
Electronical imcompatibilities. The LS1 PCM simply won't control the TPI smog equipment. No EGR temp switch control. No smog pump solenoid(s) control.
Ah. So nothing that wouldn't pass the visual portion at the very least, so it could be "gotten away with" at Inspection time. Cool. I'm wanting to do this, just haven't pulled the trigger on doing it since I would also haft pay a mechanic to do it for me. I can do some/most things, just not something of this size/mechanical ability.
BlackenedBird is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 01:47 PM
  #90  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (3)
 
1989GTATransAm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cypress, California
Posts: 6,857
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

The problem I see with the visual is that the original ECM blinks the SES light when the ignition is turned on. If the new one did that or you had a electronic circuit to do that then you might be able to pass the visual.

With a larger cam and more overlap you can get by without a functioning EGR. The EGR is only a visual test. So as long as everything is there and hooked up for the visual and it "blows" clean for the sniffer you should be able to pass. That again is if the SES blinks as pointed out above. There is always the possibility of getting a smog tech that is not all that familiar with our cars and you can pass that way.
1989GTATransAm is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 05:36 AM
  #91  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: EU
Posts: 106
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

what mpg gain you will get 350tpi 700r4 2.73 posi
will it work with turbo engine or megasquirt or something else is better? and if i want build turbo 350tpi then this conversion is pointless?
haisud is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 PM
  #92  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: EU
Posts: 106
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by Justin89Formy View Post
camaro305 it sounds like you're trying to sound educated on something you have no actual experience with. I was one of the first to have this 411 pcm swap done with Mikes harness. I went from a mild 350 with a mail order chip that ran "ok" to the LS1 style pcm, and even with a STOCK TUNE for a VAN my car ran a TON better than it ever did with the stock ecm and a tune. Once I got my car dyno tuned it ran like a brand new vehicle, literally.

This is an amazing swap, and is DEFINITELY much easier (and CHEAPER by THOUSANDS) than swapping in an LS1 drivetrain. I cant believe you're even trying to make that argument lol
Do you get now better MPG and can i controll turbo with it or i need megasquirt and this ls1 coil swap dont help me with turbo build?
haisud is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 10:45 PM
  #93  
Junior Member
 
daniel92345z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: hesperia california 92345
Posts: 84
Car: 82 camaro z28
Engine: gen 6 454 carburated and cammed
Transmission: ls1 t56 trans
Axle/Gears: currie f9 with 3.70 gears
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

well i seen plenty of turbo ls1 cars with the 411 pcm.so i think you should be able to run a turbo on you tpi engine with the coil per cylinder set up
daniel92345z28 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 08:56 PM
  #94  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita Kansas
Posts: 2
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

That is awesome! I am glad to see that someone out there was thinking about this idea. I figured that it was only a matter of time. I will be looking into this now
RedStealth91Z is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 PM
  #95  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Aside from the tuneability and more horse power, are people seeing an increase with gas mileage?
Papa Ken is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 PM
  #96  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Westminster, Maryland
Posts: 181
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 383ci SBC
Transmission: 700r4
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by S10Wildside View Post
Pricing for the 24x rings and related pieces is now available at http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn..._cylinder.aspx

We have a very small quantity of the GM distributor caps. They will only be sold to those who are purchasing a 24x ring, 24x sensor, and are currently ready to do this conversion. If you are not ready to do this conversion, I'm going to ask that you wait for us to make new (non-GM) caps. We are currently working on this.


Is it possible to get JUST the cap from you? If so, how much are they? I figure that'll be a cleaner option than shaving down and sealing the stock Vortec cap.
malcom2073 is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 04:01 PM
  #97  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by malcom2073 View Post
Is it possible to get JUST the cap from you? If so, how much are they? I figure that'll be a cleaner option than shaving down and sealing the stock Vortec cap.



Available at http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=622
S10Wildside is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 PM
  #98  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Westminster, Maryland
Posts: 181
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 383ci SBC
Transmission: 700r4
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Originally Posted by S10Wildside View Post
Oops, totally missed that. Thanks!
malcom2073 is offline  
Old 09-17-2013, 05:16 AM
  #99  
TGO Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,000
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

We are now moving on from our initial 24x crank reluctor design that required two rows of teeth and matching crank sensor...



...to a new crank reluctor that uses one single row of teeth and the more common 1996-newer Vortec crank sensor.



The original reluctor is now on clearance in a kit that is being sold below cost at http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...px?ItemId=1356. The plastic Vortec timing cover included in the kit is our new modified timing cover that uses an aluminum flange that prevents oil leaks on 1995 and older blocks.

S10Wildside is offline  
Old 10-08-2013, 07:45 PM
  #100  
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 12
Car: 1986 iroc
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

What is the benefit with using the newer single row reluctor and crank sensor? I have a stock 1998 trans am pcm and harness would this be good to run with this kit to put in my 1986 camaro with a first fuel injection intake and a procharger? i have heard that the 99-02 ls1 pcm is better than the 98 is there any truth in that thanks
1blackmeaniroc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: