TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:20 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

EFI Connection has been working on the coil per cylinder conversion on both the Gen1 and Gen2 (LT1) small block engnes since the Spring of this year.

Milestones:
- April 2008: prototype 24x reluctor is made
- May 2008: gen1 small block engine running on test stand
- July 2008: LT1 engine running coil per cylinder on test stand with LS1 f-body calibration
- September 2008: gen1 small block running on the road with electronic throttle and 4L60E
- November 2008: CNC prototype 24x reluctor is made

Results
The installation in the S10 has been very successful. The major benefit to using the LS1 PCM is that you can control many of the components on newer GM engines; such as electronic throttle, 4L60E/4L80E transmissions, and cruise control. This S10 went to the extreme by installing a 4L60E, Corvette electronic throttle body, and integrated cruise control. The engine made clean dyno pulls and resuted in 311hp/334ft-lb at the rear wheels. There are now over 1,000 miles on this S10 after the conversion!

Critical Conversion Pieces
- 24x crank reluctor
- 24x crank sensor
- Vortec distributor (used only for cam sensor)
- LSx PCM
- 8 LSx Coils

Depending on the engine you're starting with, the conversion goes beyond the parts mentioned above. The significant change between the L31 Vortec engine (96-99 Trucks, 01-02 Express Van) is the 24x crank reluctor and 24x crank sensor. These engines must replace the current crankshaft reluctor and sensor with the 24x pieces. If your engine is pre-1996, you'll need the Vortec timing cover, 24x reluctor, and crankshaft position sensor.

EFI Connection's Approach
We dismissed the idea of using the LS1 24x crankshaft reluctor due to its size and forseen installation difficulties. The LS1's 24x crank reluctor is large in diameter, balanced for the LS1 crankshaft, and would have to be installed either in front or in the rear of the crankshaft. Regardless of where it would be installed, there would still be problems with getting the reluctor in the proper orientation and crankshaft position sensor mounted in a reliable location. GM had the best solution with the Vortec 4x crank reluctor by installing it behind the sealed timing cover. Orientation is always correct due to the keyway that fits over the crankshaft's key. So we took the same approach and ended up with a 24x reluctor that is CNC cut from a new piece of steel. The Vortec 4x reluctor was not made to clear a double roller timing chain, so we made sure that our reluctor would allow adequate clearance for the installation of a double roller timing chain.

PCM and Calibration
While the popular 12200411 PCM is recommended for its capabilities, you may use any Gen 3 LS type PCM (1997-2006). As a base calibration, the PCM must be loaded with any LS type calibration.

If your engine's throttle is cable driven, you'll use one of many 99-02 truck or 98-02 f-body calibrations. If your engine's throttle is electronic, you'll use one of many 98-05 Corvette or 00-06 truck and enjoy the benefits of integrated cruise control.

If using a 4L60E/4L65E transmission, you'll chose from one of many Camaro/Firebird, Corvette, or truck calibrations. If using a 4L80E transmission, you'll choose from one of many truck calibrations. If using a T56 6 speed manual transmission, you'll get reverse lockout support by using a Camaro/Firebird or Corvette calibration.

This 24x system opens up a whole new world of options to the early small block.

Are You Ready?
We would like to work with a few people who are ready and willing to try out this conversion. It's new...so we're not making any guarantees. What we can do is explain our experience and let you know what to expect with your installation. With over 1,000 miles on the first engine to get this conversion, dyno pulls resulting in smooth graphs, and expected horsepower/torque numbers, I am confident that this system works and will bring all of the benefits of the LS1 fuel management system to the early small block. Please email me at mike@eficonnection.com if you are now ready for this conversion. I will work with you to be sure you have the correct parts for the conversion and provide support along the way. If you are months away from being ready, please keep your eyes on http://www.eficonnection.com as it will soon be updated to provide details for this conversion, parts, and pricing.

What can EFI Connection provide?
We can provide everything except for the PCM calibration and coil brackets.

What does it cost?
Keep your eyes on http://www.eficonnection.com for more details. We will soon update the website to provide information and pricing for this coil per cylinder conversion. If you send email asking about pricing, I will reply asking you to bookmark http://www.eficonnection.com for the latest information. (So please don't email me about pricing.)
Old 11-08-2008, 07:47 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
Re: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?

Very glad to see this!!!

May be something in my future, but not at the moment. To many other projects right now.

If you wouldnt mind in the future, make a 4x ring that will clear a double roller
Old 11-08-2008, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exellent Info!! I will definatly be looking forward to this setup in the future!! Im looking to go to mpfi and being able to run coil per cyl and sequential injection would be great!!
Old 11-09-2008, 06:28 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by Dale
Very glad to see this!!!

If you wouldnt mind in the future, make a 4x ring that will clear a double roller
I know there's a need for the double roller to clear the 4x ring, but there would have to be an overwhelming demand to pursue it. I would speculate that a new 4x ring would cost more than double the price of a heavy duty single roller timing chain set. Most are goinig to save the money and get the heavy duty single roller.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:29 AM
TGO Supporter

Pricing for the 24x rings and related pieces is now available at http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn..._cylinder.aspx

We have a very small quantity of the GM distributor caps. They will only be sold to those who are purchasing a 24x ring, 24x sensor, and are currently ready to do this conversion. If you are not ready to do this conversion, I'm going to ask that you wait for us to make new (non-GM) caps. We are currently working on this.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:21 AM
TGO Supporter

The 24x crankshaft reluctors for the small-block Chevy and LT1 are now available. The cam sensor housing and target for the LT1 should be ready very early 2009.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds very interesting!!! For now I am going to make this a sticky, unless anybody else objects.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt

I 2nd the nomination.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:17 PM
TGO Supporter

Thanks for the sticky. I'll keep the information coming...

Here's a view of the ring behind the Vortec timing cover with the 24x crank sensor installed.

A view of the final production 24x reluctor.

A close up view. A solid piece of steel cut with CNC equipment.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:31 PM
TGO Supporter

The 24x crank sensor uses a different connector than the L31 5.7L Vortec engine. Here is the connector and cavity assignments.

For the conversion, the 99-02 LS1 PCM is pinned very closely to any LS harness diagram, however you will have to swap injector 2 & 3 and 4 & 7 to fix the firing order. Remember you are loading a true LS1 type calibration in the PCM and can not change the firing order through the calibration. The 24x conversion requires connector C1 (BLUE) to be pinned as follows.

The wiring for the coils must also be changed. Again, swap 2 & 3 and 4 & 7 as follows.

Last edited by S10Wildside; 12-25-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:58 AM
TGO Supporter

Distributor Installation Procedure (more at http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...n_Gen1_SBC.htm)

Follow these steps below at your own risk. ONLY YOU will be responsible for any damages to your engine or self by following or not following the steps below.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Before camshaft sensor installation, rotate the engine to align the timing mark on the timing cover and crankshaft balancer to 0 degrees top dead center (TDC). Also be sure that the number 1 cylinder is on the compression stroke, or that the intake and exhaust valves are closed.
3. Remove the cover from the camshaft sensor (Vortec distributor).
4. Before installation, align reluctor wheel as pictured below so that the reluctor wheel cutout is in approximately the two o'clock position. This is not the proper alignment for final installation, but should help to provide proper alignment after the distributor is inserted into the engine.

5. Allowing the reluctor wheel to rotate freely, install the distributor into the engine until the distributor is seated on the intake manfold. The reluctor wheel will turn clockwise as the distributor gear engages with the camshaft gear.
6. Once seated, you can turn the distributor housing to change camshaft position. When properly installed, the reluctor wheel cutout should be in approximately the four o'clock position as pictured below.

Additional notes on camshaft sensor installation and alignment:
The camshaft position is used by the PCM to determine, for a given cylinder, whether the piston is on the intake or exhaust stroke. With the ignition key in CRANK or ON, the PCM will monitor engine RPM (the crank sensor signal). If, after several seconds of cranking, the PCM does not see an increase in RPM (engine has not started), it will assume an improper cam position (engine stroke) and assume the opposite stroke in an attempt to start the engine.

An improper installation may...
- set a P1345 DTC - Cam Sensor Alignment
- cause extending cranking before starting
- cause the engine to backfire while cranking
Old 12-28-2008, 08:35 AM

Car: IROC-Z
Engine: LSx
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Fabbed 9"

wow thats crazy. Awesome idea and craftmanship.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Formula
Engine: 6.0 LSX
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3:27

Hey Mike, I'm finally getting around to thinking about the car now. You know what my car has and doesnt have so whats needed for the coil packs? Jamy mentioned it to me a few months back but I havent heard form hims since then. Also let me know what I have to modify so I can do a crank relarn if I ever have to do one since my proto harness is missing that "wire" and we have to use safty pins to ground stuff in order for it to work. Email me if you can.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:04 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by Mkos1980
Hey Mike, I'm finally getting around to thinking about the car now. You know what my car has and doesnt have so whats needed for the coil packs? Jamy mentioned it to me a few months back but I havent heard form hims since then. Also let me know what I have to modify so I can do a crank relarn if I ever have to do one since my proto harness is missing that "wire" and we have to use safty pins to ground stuff in order for it to work. Email me if you can.
About Crank Learn
I'm scratching my head because I know your car has a 4L60E transmission and that means the park/neutral input is required...and it's the park/neutral input that allows the PCM to go into a crank learn mode (with the scan tool). Or is it that you only have the ORANGE/BLACK park/neutral wire on pin 32 and not also on pin 34? Regardless, that can all be taken care of. ACTUALLY if you already have the ORANGE/BLACK park/neutral wire in pin 32, and you'll be loading a Camaro/Firebird LS1 calibration in the PCM, you don't have to add the second park/neutral wire into pin 34. The Camaro/Firebird only use one wire for park/neutral. All other vehicles have the gear selector switch...which is what your Express Van calibration requires...and that's why two wires were involved for park/neutral.

What's Needed?
Since you've already done the LS1 PCM swap, you're just about there. You'll need...
  • 24x crank reluctor
  • 24x crank sensor
  • sealed distributor cap (still available)
  • LS coils and coil pack harnesses
  • fabricate something to hold the coils
  • Modify your spark plug wires (cheapest solution) or purchase a new set of LS truck wires (depending on coil locations, may not be long enough). If I were you, I would purchase MSD's ratcheting crimp tool and spark plug terminals. Mount your coils on the valve covers, plug in the spark plug wires to the coils. Trim the excess lengths. Crimp new terminals on the spark plug ends, and install boots. Done!

Your harness will also have to be modified in the following way...
  • Add 10 wires at the PCM for the coils
  • Add a ground wire in the harness for the coil packs
  • Remove the extra ignition wire from the PCM at pin 75 of the blue connector. This was specific to the Express Van harness. Use this wire for ignition power to the coil packs.

Load an 01-02 Camaro/Firebird calibration into the PCM and turn the key. Jamy should be able to easily adjust the calibration.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:55 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4L60e/SS3600
Axle/Gears: S60/4.30/Spool

I have a few questions about the LT1 set up. Is the cam sensor going to be in side the Opti or will I have to drill the intake for the rear mount distributor? I am starting to work on the third-gen again and am still looking into all of my options right now. If this used the Opti or a modified version I would be interested in this conversion. If not I guess I will stick with the old Gen1 small block.
Thanks,
David
Old 01-27-2009, 04:01 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by muddyjimmy
I have a few questions about the LT1 set up. Is the cam sensor going to be in side the Opti or will I have to drill the intake for the rear mount distributor? I am starting to work on the third-gen again and am still looking into all of my options right now. If this used the Opti or a modified version I would be interested in this conversion. If not I guess I will stick with the old Gen1 small block.
Thanks,
David
No Optispark module. Take it off, throw it away.

In its place is a 1x target that bolts to the cam sprocket, an aluminum housing that bolts to the timing cover in the same way as the Opti, and an LS2 cam sensor that installs into the cam sensor housing and reads the 1x target. Pricing will be available after we know our costs (hopefully in the upcoming weeks).

We're picking up a sample of the cam sensor housing today. Prodution cam sensor housings may only be weeks away.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:13 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4L60e/SS3600
Axle/Gears: S60/4.30/Spool

That sounds good. Thanks for keeping us posted on this
Old 02-09-2009, 04:52 AM
TGO Supporter

A big thanks to Mike in Wisconsin for sharing videos of his 24x LT1 installation progress. Mike sent a few videos of the engine running on the dyno. The engine may be hooked up to the water brake this week to apply load.

Keep in mind that Mike is using a calibration that we are using on our test stand. It's rough at best and needs a lot of work. However, you'd hardly know it seeing this engine run.

First QuickTime Video
Second QuickTime Video
Third QuickTime Video

Mike purchased:
- 24x LT1 crank reluctor
- he had a 24x crank sensor
- 24x LT1 conversion harness (stand alone type for his pickup truck...which works well for the dyno)
- cam sensor, housing, and target
- 96-97 LT1 crank key (GM# 12550096)
- used LS type coils (truck coils I think)

His comments have been:
- it fired up first try
- throttle response is perceived as better than with the original electronics
- a few emissions trouble codes have set (fuel level, fuel sensor, AIR pump, skip shift...all need to be disabled in the calibration)

Mike
EFI Connection

Last edited by S10Wildside; 02-09-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:01 PM
TGO Supporter

Here's an exploded view of all the hardware involved to equip an LT1/LT4 engine with the signals required by the Gen3 LSx PCMs.

The 1x cam reluctor bolts to the cam sprocket and is located by the pin on the cam.

The cam sensor housing replaces the optispark module.

The 24x crank reluctor installs on the crankshaft and is located by the 96-97 LT1 crank key (GM# 12550096).

No adjustments. Bolt it all on and it's ready to run.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 PM
TGO Supporter

Drive-by-Wire is now available for TPI and LT1. Uses LS1/LS6 Corvette equipment...with a LS1/LS6 Corvette throttle body as a core. 52mm shown on the intake and video, 58mm to the right, and mono-blade available. Throttle bodies shown are prototype.

Click Here for 16mb Video

Benefits:
- integrated cruise control (no vacuum operated cruise)
- may offer better idle for larger camshaft applications
- less cluttered engine bay

Most f-body owners will prefer to stick with cable driven throttle. And why not? Everything is already there. Most of our work has been for engine swappers (street rods, classic trucks, etc), so this throttle body was not exactly intended for the f-body, but there have already been a few showing interest.

Last edited by S10Wildside; 04-17-2009 at 04:37 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:03 PM

Car: '91 Camaro Z28
Engine: 383 Vortec HSR
Transmission: Pro-Built 700-R4;Vig 4000 stall
Axle/Gears: Moser M9 9" / 3.89

Subscribing. Saw an article in May 2009 GM High Tech. Looks interesting. I'm not at that point just yet to be a guinea pig, but I'd like to stay tuned for the results.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:38 AM
TGO Supporter

We're calling this the "24x" system for the early small block and LT1. Throttle body ID plates are now being made.

And here is our new throttle body line up. 52mm, 58mm, and Mono Blade.

Last edited by S10Wildside; 04-17-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:07 PM
TGO Supporter

This has all come a long way since the initial development began about this time last year.

Our achievements have been...
- 24x crank reluctor for single row timing chain
- 24x crank reluctor for double row timing chain
- Cast aluminum sealed cap for Vortec distributor
- 1x camshaft reluctor and sensor housing for LT1/LT4 engines
- Electronic throttle bodies (52mm, 58mm, mono-blade) for TPI/LT1 intake manifolds

The newest addition to the line up, electronic throttle for TPI/LT1, makes for a modern look of the TPI.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:31 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65

Been a month since I have logged in. Have you come up with a good bracket system to hold the coils over the valve covers?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:37 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by Dale
Been a month since I have logged in. Have you come up with a good bracket system to hold the coils over the valve covers?
We have not because...
- too many different coils (mounting spacing different among LS coils)
- too many different engine bays (clearance issues)
- too many valve cover designs (center/perimeter bolt, PCV location, oil fill location, breather location)

We will not be offering coil brackets.

My favorite coil mount I've seen so far is on a local installation; a 33 ******. The owner is a machinist, but I think anyone who is determined can duplicate this.
- Cast Aluminum Valve Center Bolt Valve Covers
- Holes drilled for coil mounts (long bolts)
- Bolts (they're actually screws) inserted from bottom of cover (sealed near the bolt head)
- Spacers (he threaded them) to get coil height
- Install coils, then nuts to secure them

The owner of the 33 ****** is helping us with coil mounts for our LT1 engine. Because we're using the LS2 type coils (longer distance between mounting holes), we will be mouning the coils on a slant.

Last edited by S10Wildside; 05-05-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:29 PM
TGO Supporter

RamJet 350 manifold has been removed. TPI manifold has been installed for testing of the new throttle body. The new electronic TPI/LT1 throttle bodies work just like the electronic LS1 throttle bodies.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Hog

Originally Posted by S10Wildside
RamJet 350 manifold has been removed. TPI manifold has been installed for testing of the new throttle body. The new electronic TPI/LT1 throttle bodies work just like the electronic LS1 throttle bodies.

Any dyno runs comparing the TPI intake vs the Ramjet intake?

peace
Hog
Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt

I saw on another forum where the truck LSx coils made more horsepower. Nice work by the way.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:44 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by Hog
Any dyno runs comparing the TPI intake vs the Ramjet intake?

peace
Hog
Not yet. It's inconvenient to pull the front driveshaft for dyno pulls. But, I just caught wind that there is an all wheel drive dyno within 3 hours of Erie, so I might be making a drive.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:01 PM

Car: '86 IROC-Z/'94 Z28
Engine: 350 LT1/382 LT1
Transmission: 4L60-E/T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.45/3.42 (soon 4.10)

Wildside,
I have a 334ci L99 V8 that I would like to try this on and drop it into an S-10 originally equipped with a V6, running an LS calibration and 24x. I also am working on a 427 TPI using the FIRST intake and am considering also 24x and drive by wire because of the TB they come with.

The question I have is, with the LS calibration, how are you getting around the difference in firing order? I was going to have a custom grind made with the LS firing order, using a Vortec distributor and 24x sensor.

I already have a 382ci tuned port LT1 equipped to run the vortec coil, module, '01 Express van calibration, and 4x reluctor. I had the opti and waterpump drive welded shut, and the cover is now a 2 piece.

Nice to see someone as proactive as yourself. You enjoy the EFI interchangability...I enjoy the same but with crossbreeding different engine types. I've found the tuned port LT1 to be superior to the regular every day of the week I'd like to peer into your brain a little bit.

Your posts always get me excited lol!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:42 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by dhirocz
The question I have is, with the LS calibration, how are you getting around the difference in firing order? I was going to have a custom grind made with the LS firing order, using a Vortec distributor and 24x sensor.
Firing order is corrected in the wiring harness, at the PCM. Swap injectors/coils 2&3 and 7&4. Closed loop is corrected through the calibration, Injector to Bank assignment table.

Nice to see someone as proactive as yourself. You enjoy the EFI interchangability...I enjoy the same but with crossbreeding different engine types. I've found the tuned port LT1 to be superior to the regular every day of the week I'd like to peer into your brain a little bit.

Your posts always get me excited lol!
Thanks. There are a few good minds and talent behind the scenes. This isn't a one man show.

We do share the same interests...for example, I've been planning a Ram Jet 502 intake on my L21 454ci engine for awhile now. It will run the same equipment as my S10 (electronic throttle, coil per cylinder, etc).
Old 06-21-2009, 06:49 PM

Car: 1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: 355 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4 w/ 2600 stall
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.27

Subscribing!!! Looking forward o learning more about the swap and actually doing it myself, keep the info coming.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:10 AM

Regardless of it it uses an F or Y body calibration (cable or DBW), it would run straight up off the harness without those alterations on the LT platform if it had a custom grind cam based on the LS1 firing order, correct? That is, with the 24x and other associated parts...?

The L99 is yet to be assembled into its intended form. However, the 382 TP/LT1 is already a go with a vortec 4x tone ring, module and coil, and a vortec distributor. Is there any benefit to just going with the 24x since the PCM is the same (0411)?

I'm guessing:

Vortec 4x: can run distributor, no coilpack option, can run 0411 PCM without firing order alteration, no DBW option, vortec 5.7 flash
24x: no distributor, for coil packs, somewhat smoother running, requires firing order alteration, DBW or cable, LS flash only

I kind of like the idea of running a tuned port in the LT platform. With an LS pattern cam it would kind of make it a TP/LT/LS which is nuckin futs and if I'm not mistaken, it would sound almost identical to the LS while being a tuned port with reverse cooling and no optispark woes

Last edited by dhirocz; 06-25-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:07 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by dhirocz
Regardless of it it uses an F or Y body calibration (cable or DBW), it would run straight up off the harness without those alterations on the LT platform if it had a custom grind cam based on the LS1 firing order, correct? That is, with the 24x and other associated parts...?
What harness?

The L99 is yet to be assembled into its intended form. However, the 382 TP/LT1 is already a go with a vortec 4x tone ring, module and coil, and a vortec distributor. Is there any benefit to just going with the 24x since the PCM is the same (0411)?
Improved ignition system. Think through the inaccuracy of spark delivery from a distributor. Ask yourself, when the rotor comes in contact with the spark plug terminal in the cap, is it really firing accurately? Consider that ignition timing accuracy relies on crankshaft position and not on camshaft position (which is not true to the crankshaft due to the timing chain). Even with a timing light, you're only getting the timing "close".

Vortec 4x: can run distributor, no coilpack option, can run 0411 PCM without firing order alteration, no DBW option, vortec 5.7 flash

24x: no distributor, for coil packs, somewhat smoother running, requires firing order alteration, DBW or cable, LS flash only
I'm glad you mentioned this. Open a 2002 Express Van (L31 engine) service manual and look at the injector diagram...
C1 - Pin 3: Injector 2 Control
C1 - Pin 4: Injector 3 Control
C1 - Pin 43: Injector 4 Control
C1 - Pin 44: Injector 7 Control

Open a 2002 Camaro (LS1 engine) service manual and look at the injector diagram...
C1 - Pin 3: Injector 3 Control
C1 - Pin 4: Injector 2 Control
C1 - Pin 43: Injector 7 Control
C1 - Pin 44: Injector 4 Control

Do you see it? The L31 firing order has been altered (if your viewpoint is LS1). Or you could say that the LS1 firing order has been altered if your viewpoint is L31.
- The PCM is just a controller.
- "LS1" is just an RPO code that, in part, implements the PCM in one way.
- "L31" is just an RPO code that, in part, implements the PCM in another way.
- Regardless of RPO code, the wire harness must suit the implementation.

I kind of like the idea of running a tuned port in the LT platform. With an LS pattern cam it would kind of make it a TP/LT/LS which is nuckin futs and if I'm not mistaken, it would sound almost identical to the LS while being a tuned port with reverse cooling and no optispark woes
"L98", "LT1", "LS1", "L99", "L31"...they're just RPO codes. But this hobby is about making your vehicle your own. If you find satisfaction in being able to say that your LT1 engine uses a TPI (L98) intake with an LS1 firing order...then that's cool with me.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:43 AM
TGO Supporter

Coil brackets are now available for center bolt valve covers.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Formula
Engine: 6.0 LSX
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3:27

Mike, Jamy is going to go over all the aspects for this coil swap and also what is needed this weekend at the Camaro fall classic. We'll be in touch.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:28 AM
TGO Supporter

Good news for LT1 guys who insist on running a double row timing set. A new timing cover will be available by the end of this year that will clear the double row timing chain and house the 24x crank reluctor and sensor.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 iroc-z/28
Engine: 408 lsx
Transmission: 5800 stall
Axle/Gears: 4.71

Originally Posted by 1989GTATransAm
I saw on another forum where the truck LSx coils made more horsepower..
thats snake oil.
had to be an issue with coil wiring or a dead coil.
the truck coils will support MORE hp, but not ADD hp.

this looks like a great product.
nice work!
Old 11-15-2009, 04:26 PM
TGO Supporter

Installation of the 24x system in the current (Feb 2010) issue of GM High Tech Performance magazine. It's a good read.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:56 AM

Wildside,

I'd like to speak with you about running my TP/LT/LS thingamajig () with LS1 Fbody wiring and potential problems that running that with a C5 corvette torque tube and driveline would cause. I'm considering pulling the Vortec 4x stuff off my 382 and going 24x on that engine as well. I'm mostly worried about the PCM's integration into the car with other various modules it has to communicate with.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:22 PM
TGO Supporter

Billet aluminum timing cover for SBC is now avaialble. This cover has crank sensor provision and clears double row timing chains. Manufactured by TPIS.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:24 PM
TGO Supporter

If you're really feeling frisky, move beyond the 24x system (Gen III GM controllers) and install the new 58x system (uses Gen IV GM controllers).

Our LT1 is on the test stand with this system using a 2008 Corvette ECM.

Video at http://www.eficonnection.com/58x/videos/58xLT1.wmv

Last edited by S10Wildside; 01-05-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:35 AM

Car: 91 gta ws6
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700 R4 TRANS
Axle/Gears: 3.23

i currently have one a efi coil per cyclinder wire harness on my 408 tpi small block.I wanted to know what would the advantage of using the 58x over the 24x
Old 05-28-2010, 04:59 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by kad5118
i currently have one a efi coil per cyclinder wire harness on my 408 tpi small block.I wanted to know what would the advantage of using the 58x over the 24x
http://www.eficonnection.com explains what the 58x system does that the 24x system can't.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:22 AM

Car: 91 gta ws6
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700 R4 TRANS
Axle/Gears: 3.23

how much mpg do you think will be gained from using the efi system
Old 05-28-2010, 07:35 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by kad5118
how much mpg do you think will be gained from using the efi system
That depends on...
  • engine specs
  • transmission
  • gear ratio
  • how you set your tune
Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro z28
Engine: 350 t.p.i.
Transmission: 700r4

Originally Posted by 1989GTATransAm
I saw on another forum where the truck LSx coils made more horsepower. Nice work by the way.
The coils support more horsepower. But the manifolds and injectors from a truck are definately capable of more h.p.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by 91zrokr
The coils support more horsepower. But the manifolds and injectors from a truck are definately capable of more h.p.
Do you have data? If so, please post here.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:07 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro z28
Engine: 350 t.p.i.
Transmission: 700r4

Originally Posted by S10Wildside
Do you have data? If so, please post here.
I dont have any numbers, but I wish I did . But most of todays LS powered pickups definately make more power than an LS1. The injectors and intakes have higher volume.

I recently had a friend buy an LSx from a speedshop. It had truck injectors. And the shop also sold him a truck manifold in place of the ls1 manifold. (But he bought a wiring harness for a car! So he had to splice into his wires and solder truck adapters on for the injectors)
Old 06-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 iroc-z/28
Engine: 408 lsx
Transmission: 5800 stall
Axle/Gears: 4.71

truck coils dont "make" more hp. back to back test, there had to be a weak coil(or coils) in the other set.
car coils are stable till around 900hp.
i have seen truck coils go 1200, no issues.

Quick Reply: LS1 Coil per Cylinder Conversion - Are you ready?