TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not so good in the parts finding department

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not so good in the parts finding department

howdy ya'll, i'm Chris.

i just got an 87 Z28 with under 70k on it with the LB9 and the M5 trans.

problem is i've don't know where to find parts for the LB9. i found some old posts on putting a supercharger on and other stuff but i'm just trying where to find performance parts for it such as cams, heads, intake, ect...

<-- ive tried that.

is there anyone here who could help me come up with a good street/track setup? and have you done it your self.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A, 83 Z/28
Engine: 5.0 TPI, 350 2 X 4 bbl
Transmission: 4 speed auto, 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, 3.73 std
Re: not so good in the parts finding department

Well fortunately besides the intake its all standard small block Chevy stuff. What in particular are you looking for? By the way welcome to the site I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 PM

the 87 LB9 with the manual came factory with 215 horse. i would like to make that 305 make at least 350 ponys. what is a good N/A setup? i do not want to use forced induction.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Supreme Member

Pulling 350 hp out of a 305 while maintaining some semblance of a street friendly car is a tall order. Definitely doable but will require big bucks and or sacrificing drive ability as it will need to be a fairly "hot" motor. I think shooting for somewhere around 300 would be a much better goal for a street car. This would be very achievable on a moderate budget while still being very street friendly.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 PM

i'm sorry, i did sound like i wanted more street and less track.

"drive ability" is something i can sacriface.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Supreme Member

Well youve got some options First the big things. The exhaust will most deffinelty need to be worked over. Ide venture to guess the hooker 2055 header and y pipe set up bolted to a quality cat back and highflow cat of your choice would do you justice. Next up the heads. Youve got a lot of options from companies like trick flow, AFR, even factory vortec heads would do the trick depending on your budget and the intake you want to run. The cam were going to need to pick something pretty radical but it depends on the rest of the build. The intake will need to be replaced. My best recommendation is you'll need either an aftermarket long tube runners and a new base probably with a little port work or swap to carb. The heads depend on the budget and intake. If you want to stay injected i would scratch the vortecs. Then its a matter of budget. If you have the money AFR 180s would be great. Otherwise Trickflow offers heads that would get the job done for a good deal less. If you went carbed although the other heads are still an option some high performance Bowtie vortech heads from GM would be my choice. The cam will be selected around these factors.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:19 PM

what about the combustion chamber on the head? would a smaller cc result in a higher compression ratio?

money isn't too much of an option. i'm on R&R from afghanistan and i'm goin back to make more money.

The Crank.

a 350 crank in a 305 would stroke it to a 327 right? id have to change the rods and something else i cant remember...

i would like to stay injected. do these heads sound good?

SB-Chevy High-Flow 197 Head
2.055'' Int/1.60'' Exh Valves
1.440'' Springs, .680'' Max Lift Soild/Flat Tappet, Hydraulic Roller Cams
Straight Plug

one set has 64cc combustion chambers and the other set has 72cc.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:33 PM

alright, so i just went to compperformancegroupstores.com and they have a good selection of chevy sb heads. but assymbled, are 500 a pop. not a major problem, but i will go cheaper if i can.

anyone else have any better spots?

i always do car part shopping at the junkyard. i'm still new to this online stuff.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by CCMViper
what about the combustion chamber on the head? would a smaller cc result in a higher compression ratio?

money isn't too much of an option. i'm on R&R from afghanistan and i'm goin back to make more money.

The Crank.

a 350 crank in a 305 would stroke it to a 327 right? id have to change the rods and something else i cant remember...

i would like to stay injected. do these heads sound good?

SB-Chevy High-Flow 197 Head
2.055'' Int/1.60'' Exh Valves
1.440'' Springs, .680'' Max Lift Soild/Flat Tappet, Hydraulic Roller Cams
Straight Plug

one set has 64cc combustion chambers and the other set has 72cc.

Well few things here. Yes were definitely going to want to bump up the compression I believe stock is like 9.5 to 1 depending if the heads are cast iron or aluminum well want to shoot for 10 to one or 11 to one respectively. As for your question with the crank, the 350 and the 305 crank is the same the 350 block just has a larger bore. You can install a stroker crank that would typically be used in a 383 to get something like a 335 but that would require so much time time and money it would be better and cheaper to just drop in a 350. The whole bottom end would need to be replaced new flywheel and harmonic balance the block would need to be clearanced so on and so forth. As far as the heads there's really not much that i can tell without flow numbers. Although it dosnt matter because due to the 305s smaller bore those valves are too large and would hit the cylinder wall. As far as where I would recommend looking, I would check out summitracing.com they have virtually everything it seems and cheaper than anyone else. There basically the walmart of high performance lol. Plus they have a free catalog they can send you which is nice.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:49 AM

Car: tube chassis 82 Z
Engine: 406
Transmission: Muncie
Axle/Gears: 4.10 9inch

Just bore the block to 4 inch if walls will allow that much and use around 9.5:1 flat tops, decent lift cam and work the heads for bigger valves. 350 horse level is very easy to obtain with fairly inexpensive parts. If you spend money at a GOOD machine shop, they will know what you are going to need. Just remember, proven, matched combos.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

You cant bore a 305's bore to 4 inches. The most you can go is .060 over-sized from the standard bore.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:55 PM

Car: tube chassis 82 Z
Engine: 406
Transmission: Muncie
Axle/Gears: 4.10 9inch

I thought about that after I posted too. Finding a 350 block wouldn't be that difficult tho. You now the saying, "no replacement for displacement"...................or a bottle in the trunk!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:39 PM

i'm not doing a engine swap. the guy that tried to buy this car before i did told the org owner that he was scrapin it, puttin a big block in and making a race car out of it. the owner turned him away.

point is that there is no reasion to scrap and basterdize a good numbers matching org car. this came with a 305 tpi and i'd like to see what she can do.

summit, got it. how do know that the valves are two big on those heads i was looking at and how can i tell if the heads i'm looking at have small enough valves???

and ps, i'm not boring the block either.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Supreme Member

Its understandable. With only 70k its just a baby it would be a waist to scrap it. I know I ran my 305 till it bit the dust. Its just one of those things there great motors for the street/fun but you start to hit a wall working with the 305 for performance. Like trying to stroke it for more displacement you come to realize its just not worth it considering the gains vs the cost, availability, and ease of swapping a 350 more displacement for less. I mean the 305 and the 350 is literally the same exact motor with a different bore so it would drop right in you could bolt all your old stuff on ect which is what makes it such a tempting swap. Now again thats not to say I would vote to scrap a perfectly good motor but thats why I would keep the mods to more economical things like heads and cam ect. Basically mods that will give you your best bang for your time and money. Like stroking the motor spending a $1k plus the time and effort to pull the motor and stuff probably not worth the 30 hp youll gain from it. Kinda see what I'm getting at? Not saying you should swap motors just let pick mods that will yield satisfying result. As far as the heads and valves go the largest valve the 305 can fit i believe is just 1.94 intake 1.5 exhaust. Becides you have to keep in mind bigger isnt always necessarily better because if a valve is too close to the cylinder wall the cylinder wall will impede the flow of air actually hurting the overall flow potential.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:00 AM

i have a couple 350s layin around here in a barn somewhere...

pullin the engine dose not take long, i have the parts... it really wouldn't cost that much to do.

and i have fun doing it. i'll be deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq and this is all i can think about doing when i come back. this time around though my project is lifting another old Dodge Ram. Ive never gotten around to building any of my Camaros

1.94 intake and 1.5 exhaust, got it... i'd also like the head to have enough clearance for a really agressive cam.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 AM

thanks for everyones help.

i got back from afghanistan and had my first chance to look at the car and there was an Edelbrock hi-flow intake and a MSD ignition already on it!

all i had to do was put a new clutch in the thing. the previous owner put a chip in too. this thing is SCARY fast. wish me luck at the track friday