TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tpi setup help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevy Camaro
Engine: 350
tpi setup help

I only want to do this once.. the right way.... i have a 92 rs was originally 305 but previous owner did lazy swap for 350 5.7 tpi from a 87 maro but they did not install tune port do to lack of electrical knowledge . They put tbi back on top. Hers my question is this legal (ca) and could i put any tune port on top of the 350 block from any year or does it have to be from 87 maro? I will get the harnesses and comp based on tpi i get.... Dont want to do speed density cuz it seems a little more time and money consuming then i can take right now... Any suggestions

Last edited by Bully Builder; 11-05-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: mess up
Old 11-05-2011, 11:53 AM

Re: tpi setup help

Should also add that i recently failed smog because i did not have a heat stove on exhaust manifold.. and the air cleaner has the thermostatic whole for heat riser for tbi
Old 11-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Isn't the rule in California that you can use a later model setup as long as all the emissions equipment is in place? If so you need to set it up like a 1992. Why do you want to swap to TPI? Honestly? In a head to head comparison, TPI is a little more effective and produces greater torque, but if all they changed was the 305 to a 350 leaving everything else alone, swapping just the intake isn't going to do much except drain your wallet and make the car look cool under the hood where no one will probably ever see...

If you're still convinced you want to TPI it, use a 92 system, harness, etc and set it up exactly like a TPI Z28. Don't fear the speed density, it's a far better system then the MAF setup. It'd be easier to install, less expensive, would run better, be easier to troubleshoot, etc... Not to mention it's probably against the law in your state to use a MAF setup on a 1992.

To get the power output of a TPI, just remember they had better exhaust, better gearing, limited slip rears, dual catalytic converters, etc which all made them faster cars.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
Isn't the rule in California that you can use a later model setup as long as all the emissions equipment is in place? If so you need to set it up like a 1992. Why do you want to swap to TPI? Honestly? In a head to head comparison, TPI is a little more effective and produces greater torque, but if all they changed was the 305 to a 350 leaving everything else alone, swapping just the intake isn't going to do much except drain your wallet and make the car look cool under the hood where no one will probably ever see...

If you're still convinced you want to TPI it, use a 92 system, harness, etc and set it up exactly like a TPI Z28. Don't fear the speed density, it's a far better system then the MAF setup. It'd be easier to install, less expensive, would run better, be easier to troubleshoot, etc... Not to mention it's probably against the law in your state to use a MAF setup on a 1992.

To get the power output of a TPI, just remember they had better exhaust, better gearing, limited slip rears, dual catalytic converters, etc which all made them faster cars.

to be honest it doesnt have to be a tpi set up i just feel like the car is a little sluggish and feel like it may be from lack of air (seems to run a little rich) i actually preffer the look of an open element air cleaner how ever failing smog becuase of this heat stove piece being gone has really drove me nucking futs and i thought it would make things a liitle more simple in the future.... it would also help if i could clean the engine bay because there is stuff everywhere and it is a little overwhelming, connections not hooked up to anything, wires exposed... it doesnt seem like the intake on there is not sufficient enough for the 5.7 in there i will post pics for all to see in a minute
Old 11-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The heat stove, is just a piece of stainless wrapped around the drivers manifold with a tube to the air cleaner. When the manifolds heat up, it circulates warm air into the intake. If that's the only reason you failed, it'd be easier to replace the heat stove/manifold/tube than to swap the intake.

To make matters worse, only the 305s used those manifolds. They're restrictive. You might want to look into a set of 50-state legal headers with the heat stove, but the options are pretty limited. Opening up the exhaust with headers and whatnot would probably have more effect then changing the intake. Same goes for a gear change, TBI autos usually came with 2.73 gears and open differentials. Either is going to boost power more then a TPI swap.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
The heat stove, is just a piece of stainless wrapped around the drivers manifold with a tube to the air cleaner. When the manifolds heat up, it circulates warm air into the intake. If that's the only reason you failed, it'd be easier to replace the heat stove/manifold/tube than to swap the intake.

To make matters worse, only the 305s used those manifolds. They're restrictive. You might want to look into a set of 50-state legal headers with the heat stove, but the options are pretty limited. Opening up the exhaust with headers and whatnot would probably have more effect then changing the intake. Same goes for a gear change, TBI autos usually came with 2.73 gears and open differentials. Either is going to boost power more then a TPI swap.

yea find the heat stove was the first thing i looked in too except i cant find one anywhere. i thought about just trying to make one for the time being to get past smog cuz that is the only thing that failed i think the guy was just being a ***** lol i guess thats his job and he takes it seriously.. i will be looking into headers soon all opinons seem to say i dont really need to do intake swap so i think i will listen to that cuz i didnt really want to do that anyway.. good advice here are some pics of my engine i know it needs a lot of work
Attached Thumbnails tpi setup help-imag0101.jpg   tpi setup help-imag0100.jpg   tpi setup help-imag0102.jpg