TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need HELP with Fuel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '90 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Disc Brake LSD
Need HELP with Fuel Issue

Hey all, I need some further help determing what is causing the lack of fuel pressure.

A little over a month ago, when I tried to start the vehicle, it just cranked and cranked, knowing too much about these TPI setups I figured it was either the fuel pressure relay or the cold start injector.

Now here is the setup:

'88 IROC TPI (w/MAF) in my '87 el Camino. Installed with a Howell wiring harness with an external high volume fuel pump located on top of the gas tank with the old vent line used as the fuel return. All of this worked great on my '87 Monte Carlo SS.

I installed a gauge on the fuel rail and when it does not start, I have no fuel pressure. Seems like it works after I recycle the ignition key (off - on - off- on) several times over 5-10 minutes, the it final starts and runs just fine. Since i see the lack of fuel pressure, ruled out the cold start injector.

I was at a local show last night and it did not let me down, when I left had to play the recycle key game, but when I was driving home after it finally started I was entering an interstate highway going around a bend and it started to cut out/sputter. I only had about 1/4 tank of gas so I figured that "maybe" the pickup in the gas tank might be causing this, so I filled up down the road before I got home.

It normally starts up just fine within a short time after it has been shut off, so when I go thome last night it worked/started just fine. This morning I just tried to start it and it has no fuel pressure.

Now I have also recycled the fuel pressure relay with another known good one. I say "recyecled" because I put in the known good one and no differene so I pulled that one out and put the original one back in.

Starting to think it might be the fuel pressure regulator? Not sure what else it could be?

Any ideas?

Bruce
Old 07-30-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '90 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Disc Brake LSD
Re: Need HELP with Fuel Issue

No one has any ideas on this one?