TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI Installation wont run

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPI Installation wont run

Hi Guys I am new to this site looking for advice. I have installed a 350 chev into a Toyota Landcruiser. It was originally a carby setup. I purchased a TPI system and manifold and have installed it to replace carby. I have done it all from scratch ie pulled the whole manifold and tpi system down and reinstalled with new gaskets etc.

The problem I am having is basically it wont idle and runs like crap!! I can start it if I use the accelerator and can keep it running only if I keep revs up. Any movement from about 2000 revs and it just stalls backfires etc. To give you an idea of setup most of the componants were tested prior to installation.

I have all sensors installed and plugged in.

I checked timing and have tried advancing slightly where it runs a little better but not much. I checked position of distributer button at TDC to double check and seems right.

I have a low pressure external fuel pump from old carby setup that pumps to a high pressure EFI fuel pump off a VL commodore which supplies fuel. I have noticed that there is a little noise from the second fuel pump and in the lines like it is cavitating slighlty?? I dont think its sucking air but maybe the first pump isnt supplying enough fuel although it is meant to be high volume..... What do u think about this?

Other thing I havent checked for is a vacuum leak but its a bit hard cos it wont run. Could a vacuum leak cause it to run this bad??

Sorry for the long winded story any help or suggestions of where to start would be a great help as I seem to be going around in circles!!!

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:23 Torsen 4th gen rear
Re: TPI Installation wont run

Originally Posted by rowen25
Hi Guys I am new to this site looking for advice. I have installed a 350 chev into a Toyota Landcruiser. It was originally a carby setup. I purchased a TPI system and manifold and have installed it to replace carby. I have done it all from scratch ie pulled the whole manifold and tpi system down and reinstalled with new gaskets etc.

The problem I am having is basically it wont idle and runs like crap!! I can start it if I use the accelerator and can keep it running only if I keep revs up. Any movement from about 2000 revs and it just stalls backfires etc. To give you an idea of setup most of the componants were tested prior to installation.

I have all sensors installed and plugged in.

I checked timing and have tried advancing slightly where it runs a little better but not much. I checked position of distributer button at TDC to double check and seems right.

I have a low pressure external fuel pump from old carby setup that pumps to a high pressure EFI fuel pump off a VL commodore which supplies fuel. I have noticed that there is a little noise from the second fuel pump and in the lines like it is cavitating slighlty?? I dont think its sucking air but maybe the first pump isnt supplying enough fuel although it is meant to be high volume..... What do u think about this?

Other thing I havent checked for is a vacuum leak but its a bit hard cos it wont run. Could a vacuum leak cause it to run this bad??

Sorry for the long winded story any help or suggestions of where to start would be a great help as I seem to be going around in circles!!!

Thanks in advance.

Check your fuel pressure on the rail

Make sure you are setting initial timing with the EST unplugged

Does this set-up have a MAF? If so try unplugging and running without MAF.

And yes vaccum leak could make it run that bad.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1990 G92 IROC Z Miniram
Engine: 388cu 6.4 Liters
Transmission: G-Force T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Gears
Re: TPI Installation wont run

You need to install a new fuel pump for TPI engines. Or a fuel pump that will support 55 gallons per hour or more.
Only one pump is needed.