TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pump & fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pump & fuel filter

Got a 5.7l TPI in my 75 Chevy Silverado...and the previous owner was the one who did the swap.

I want to replace this fuel filter but I'm wondering if this fuel filter was swapped from the firebird or if it was c10. I need to know so I can buy the right one.

Also wondering if that thing next to it is a fuel pump or a second fuel filter? It looks more like a fuel pump to me but not sure..

Attached Thumbnails fuel pump & fuel filter-dscn2040.jpg  
Old 03-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: fuel pump & fuel filter

Looks like a standard 3/8 fuel filter.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by truckguy
Got a 5.7l TPI in my 75 Chevy Silverado...and the previous owner was the one who did the swap.

I want to replace this fuel filter but I'm wondering if this fuel filter was swapped from the firebird or if it was c10. I need to know so I can buy the right one.

Also wondering if that thing next to it is a fuel pump or a second fuel filter? It looks more like a fuel pump to me but not sure..

Top pic is a fuel filter and the pic with the blue wire looks like some sort of aftermarket fuel pump. I would trace that blue wire back to its source or check to see if it's powered up with the key in the on position or engine running. You can check for power to the suspected pump with a 12 volt test lamp or with a volt meter. At some point, there may have been a fuel starvation issue and they placed that inline pump to attempt to solve a fuel problem. I would also feel it or listen to it for any humming noise with key on.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by WinningBet
Top pic is a fuel filter and the pic with the blue wire looks like some sort of aftermarket fuel pump. I would trace that blue wire back to its source or check to see if it's powered up with the key in the on position or engine running. You can check for power to the suspected pump with a 12 volt test lamp or with a volt meter. At some point, there may have been a fuel starvation issue and they placed that inline pump to attempt to solve a fuel problem. I would also feel it or listen to it for any humming noise with key on.

oh well i definitely know its powered, im just wondering if this fuel pump is PROPER for the setup. ive already made sure about the humming noise and its driveable.

ive never did an engine swap... dont know too much about them just basic knowledge and i understand that the firebird has an intake fuel pump opposed to my inline one so i was just wondering if that is okay.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by truckguy
oh well i definitely know its powered, im just wondering if this fuel pump is PROPER for the setup. ive already made sure about the humming noise and its driveable.

ive never did an engine swap... dont know too much about them just basic knowledge and i understand that the firebird has an intake fuel pump opposed to my inline one so i was just wondering if that is okay.

I would put a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail just to test the pressure. The Tuned Port Injection (TPI) needs somewhere around 45lbs fuel pressure (key on engine off) if I recall. Engine running slightly lower.
(TBI) needed about 13lbs and a Carb required about 4lbs pressure. In 1975 there was no pump within the fuel tank, so you must have an external pump to boost the pressure for your application.

You don't want to starve your engine for fuel or damage could result due to a lean condition. Best of luck to you. I hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:10 PM

Back to your initial question: It looks to me like your previous owner just put a standard fuel filter on there with a 3/8" or 5/16" hose nipple on each end.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by WinningBet
I would put a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail just to test the pressure. The Tuned Port Injection (TPI) needs somewhere around 45lbs fuel pressure (key on engine off) if I recall. Engine running slightly lower.
(TBI) needed about 13lbs and a Carb required about 4lbs pressure. In 1975 there was no pump within the fuel tank, so you must have an external pump to boost the pressure for your application.

You don't want to starve your engine for fuel or damage could result due to a lean condition. Best of luck to you. I hope this helps.
i still have to go buy a pressure gauge for the rail... ok thanks this makes more sense now.