TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Distributor problems

Hey guys, I'm new here in desperate need of some help. I bought an 89 formula 305 tpi. The guy I bought it from messed with the timing, and it's been a real son of a ***** to get it right. I moved the distributor a little, now it won't start. I get some coughs but won't fire. I'm very inexperienced with anything distributor/timing related. I don't have a timing light so I kinda have to go by ear once I get it started again. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi
Re: Distributor problems

First mark the distributor where the #1 cylinder plug wire is and remove the cap. Next remove the #1 sparkplug (driver's side front of engine). Have someone turn the engine over while you put your finger over the #1 plug hole. When you feel air pressure trying to push your finger off you're getting close to "top dead center" on the compression stroke.

Look at the rotor on the distributor and it should be pointing pretty close to the mark you made on the distributor. It also should be pointing at the physical location of the #1 cylinder. If the rotor is pointing the right way, but the mark on the distributor is a little off, line them back up. Put the cap back on and try to start it.

Do a youtube search on setting initial timing and you will see what I'm talking about.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: Distributor problems

Once you get the engine to run. To set the timing the est connector must be disconnected. This is located on the rh side on the engine compartment bye the fan blower assembly. It's a tan with a blk stripe. Once disconned set the timing to 6-8 dbtdc.