TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power in 1990 Camaro RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.7L V8
Transmission: Automatic
Loss of power in 1990 Camaro RS

My Camaro has a really bad loss of power, and the car shakes really bad. I have had this problem twice. The first time, after 5 days, I turned on the car, the car then revved itself, and all my power was back. A month later and the loss of power is back. I step on the gas pedal, and the RPM's go so high before the car shifts into 2nd gear. After shifting into 2nd gear, the car stops shaking. But the loss of power is still there. HELP!!

I'm 18 and recently bought a beautiful 1990 Camaro and I'm new to this stuff.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:44 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Re: Loss of power in 1990 Camaro RS

That seems to be limited on the information. By RPMs going high, do you mean the car is hanging in gear and then finally shifts? It sounds to me like you are having transmission problems. These cars do no have electronically controlled transmissions so it is likely an internal issue. I would get it to a trusted transmission shop soon and get it checked out. A lot of problems are cheaper to get fixed before something goes boom and completely fails.

It could be something as simple as dirty fluid clogging up passages.

More information on the symptoms would help the guys here point you int he right direction.
Miles, any CELs, have you checked fluid level, what does the fluid look like, how does to go through all 4 gears when you are having the problem, same thing when it seems you are not, where does it seem like the vibration is comign from, etc.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:41 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 92 RS / 90 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 / 350
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Non-Posi / Posi - Both GU2 - 2.73

Have you verified all injectors are firing when this happens? When I had a "Loss Of Power" with my 92RS I found that one of my injectors wasn't spraying, this was traced back to a ECM wire harness issue. Depending on how the harness/connector was moved the issue would surface or go away...

But btw, did they manufacturer a 1990 RS w/ a TPI engine? I thought TPI was reserved for the z28 / IROC-Z models from 88 or 89 onward but I could be mistaken...

Any additional info you could offer as stated by KyleF would help the forum help you!
Old 09-12-2018, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by 92RS-HeritageEd
Have you verified all injectors are firing when this happens? When I had a "Loss Of Power" with my 92RS I found that one of my injectors wasn't spraying, this was traced back to a ECM wire harness issue. Depending on how the harness/connector was moved the issue would surface or go away...

But btw, did they manufacturer a 1990 RS w/ a TPI engine? I thought TPI was reserved for the z28 / IROC-Z models from 88 or 89 onward but I could be mistaken...

Any additional info you could offer as stated by KyleF would help the forum help you!

I agree on the loss of power from an injector not functioning, but that usually manifest itself as a lack of being able to rev. He states he has a free rev and no power... or at least that is how I am reading it.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by KyleF
I agree on the loss of power from an injector not functioning, but that usually manifest itself as a lack of being able to rev. He states he has a free rev and no power... or at least that is how I am reading it.
Tbh, I latched onto the part where the op'er stated "I step on the gas pedal, and the RPM's go so high before the car shifts into 2nd gear. After shifting into 2nd gear, the car stops shaking. But the loss of power is still there." I thought RPM's went hand in hand w/ Trans shift points, but when this happened to me it was because 1 of 2 TBI Injectors quit spraying. After rereading the original post it has me wondering if "I step on the gas pedal" meant from foot off the pedal to pedal to the floor or what....

Last edited by 92RS-HeritageEd; 09-12-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by 92RS-HeritageEd
Tbh, I latched onto the part where the op'er stated "I step on the gas pedal, and the RPM's go so high before the car shifts into 2nd gear. After shifting into 2nd gear, the car stops shaking. But the loss of power is still there." I thought RPM's went hand in hand w/ Trans shift points, but when this happened to me it was because 1 of 2 TBI Injectors quit spraying. After rereading the original post it has me wondering if "I step on the gas pedal" meant from foot off the pedal to pedal to the floor or what....
When the 700R4 went out on my 86 TA, I had the issue of it wanting to hang in 2nd gear. So RPMs would go high, then shift hard into 3rd, and then slippage (RPMs not constant with speed). It wasn't but a few more drives before a loud bang and 0 power going to the wheels.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by KyleF
When the 700R4 went out on my 86 TA, I had the issue of it wanting to hang in 2nd gear. So RPMs would go high, then shift hard into 3rd, and then slippage (RPMs not constant with speed). It wasn't but a few more drives before a loud bang and 0 power going to the wheels.
That $ucks! I wonder if all is ok, we're sitting here bouncing ideas off each other to help the op'er... and they've yet to chime in