TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixed results from search - SD Vortec Manifold and runners - Stock or Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mixed results from search - SD Vortec Manifold and runners - Stock or Aftermarket

I have purchased my 1988 Iroc Z 350, stock car.. I think even the same factory plugs...

I would like to do some simple bolt on upgrades and am leaning very heavily towards replacing the stock heads with a set of vortec and the SD Vortec TPI manifold. My impetuousness has caused me to buy the SD Vortec manifold... BEFORE... doing so much reading. I have purchased a dodo bird intake, but Im ok with it... my wifes van is faster than the Iroc and I'm fine with that.

But I would like to at least stay with her.. which means.. intake and heads are it.

I'm done after that. I don't want to go fast, only something a little stronger than stock. My question for the forum is this; what runners will I need for the SD manifold?

again, my search comes up with mixed results, except the article that was done back in 2005... and the article says it was using factory runners. Then, comes the other side of the coin where the threads read that the factory runners did not line up, you need Edelbrock or SLP runners.

Can anyone verify this - a phone call to SD went like this... hold on let me ask my supervisor... a voice in the background replied yes. There you go sir... stock will work.

Thank you,

Bryan

Old 01-08-2019, 02:13 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Re: Mixed results from search - SD Vortec Manifold and runners - Stock or Aftermarket

Stock will work. Sometimes with aftermarket parts, quality isn't quite as good as stock. I'm guessing this was the issue in question, of course I don't know for sure what they ran into. Look at it this way....you already HAVE stock runners and they don't cost you anything!

...I could mention that aftermarket runners would slightly increase performance as well. ......and some minor plenum porting. ....and minor porting on the base ......and a slightly bigger cam..... ....and valvetrain upgrades..... .....and some head porting..... .....headers..... tuning...... catback..... down.....the rabbit hole.........we go!
Old 01-08-2019, 04:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi
Re: Mixed results from search - SD Vortec Manifold and runners - Stock or Aftermarket

My son and I have been trying to decipher just what to expect, best guess with stock runners is about 300 HP at the crank, and around 400 foot-pounds. The torque curve is a little broader over stock, which should translate to a noticeable bump in performance. Nothing totally radical, but definitely worthwhile, and an improvement you'll feel. This is exactly what we're doing to my L98 '88, and for his '87 El Camino, once we swap a TPI system on his car.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 386 Likes on 329 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Stock runners breathe better than most people will give them credit. Especially with a Vortec head. Stock L98 cam should come in around 300-310 HP with Vortec heads, 3817 base, and stock runners provided you have a decent set of headers and exhaust for it to breathe out of. Torque should be in the 420-430 ft/lbs range.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1990 G92 IROC Z Miniram
Engine: 388cu 6.4 Liters
Transmission: G-Force T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Gears

Since you have the SD Manifold, at least do these simple porting mods to it.