TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My TPI Breathe Build

Old 02-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Sponsor

Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: My TPI Breathe Build

The egr side should be removable. You can measure the port opening too and compare to the 1204 specs.
1204 1.99 in. x 1.23 in
Even if the plate isn’t removable from the 1204 tin snips or drill a hole in the passengers side.
or ask what this guy ended up using.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/...-manifold.html

Last edited by Tuned Performance; 02-12-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS T-Top 5 speed

Hey Vinny, have you looked into this?
I've never used them but read a lot from guys that have....

https://www.extrudehoneafm.com/
Old 02-12-2019, 02:31 PM

Car: 90 Formula 350
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.54

Vinny also keep in mind, biggest isn't always better and knowing where to remove material and where not to are the key to a "good" port job porters will try here and there and measure the results on a flow bench. Dont get me wrong I'm not bashing, as so far what I see will make improvement for you. even A/market manufacturers get it wrong Edelbrock for one the 3860 is a good high flow base then they make the 3817 - Vortec TPI base and it flows about what the stock GM base does you would think a company that makes "performance" parts would do R&D before selling them. - keep going
Old 02-12-2019, 03:25 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: auto

Originally Posted by Tootie Pang View Post
If you are going to do a custom tune then I would say go ahead and play with the injectors, if not, I would recommend just putting it all together and not changing too many things at once...
That was our saying when I raced go-karts...only one change at a time. I was only wanting to change because I am going to be pulling them out anyway, I really don't want to mess with a tune if I don't need one. I know you went through quite a few before getting it right. I will check my budget and see if the new Delphi's are in there. I must have one of the few great working Multec sets but you know how it goes, right after I put them back in...they crap the pot!
Old 02-12-2019, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by BizJetTech View Post
Hey Vinny, have you looked into this?
I've never used them but read a lot from guys that have....

https://www.extrudehoneafm.com/
I do know of them and checked out their site but that was about it. I posted a pic in one of my previous post up above of a before and after that I got from their site. I might reach out to them just to get some info on cost and such. It looks like a pretty cool process they do.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by zman1969 View Post
Vinny also keep in mind, biggest isn't always better and knowing where to remove material and where not to are the key to a "good" port job porters will try here and there and measure the results on a flow bench. Dont get me wrong I'm not bashing, as so far what I see will make improvement for you. even A/market manufacturers get it wrong Edelbrock for one the 3860 is a good high flow base then they make the 3817 - Vortec TPI base and it flows about what the stock GM base does you would think a company that makes "performance" parts would do R&D before selling them. - keep going
You would think they would, especially a performance parts co. Thanks for the words of advice Zman. It sounds like you have a clue. I have been trying to figure a DIY flow tester. I don't have access to the real thing.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by vinny R View Post
I do know of them and checked out their site but that was about it. I posted a pic in one of my previous post up above of a before and after that I got from their site. I might reach out to them just to get some info on cost and such. It looks like a pretty cool process they do.
If you do speak with them, let us know the cost, I've been curious about that, thanks
Old 02-13-2019, 07:25 AM

I was at HF yesterday and standing in the checkout line I found a digital inner and outer micrometer. Yes I know it it a Pittsburgh product but for what I am doing it will be just fine. I would not want to trust it on a crank journal but it sure works sooo much better than the tape measure I have been using. It was a whopping $10 I am trying to maintain some consistency on the port openings and this $10 well spent mic will do just the trick. All the openings are within .01 of each other. I guess the tape measure worked o.k.

Here is the new opening size.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:39 AM
Supreme Member

Just for the record....that is a digital caliper
Old 02-17-2019, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by BizJetTech View Post
Just for the record....that is a digital caliper
Thanks for the education Biz...I feel like an idiot...it is printed right on the tool!.

Does any of you guys following this know the port opening dimension is on my 081 heads? I am looking for a measurement like 1.125" x 1,80".Maybe one of you have a set of heads laying around and can give me a number>
Old 02-17-2019, 01:15 PM

Car: 1990 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: LO3 305 SD TPI Conversion
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance View Post
The egr side should be removable. You can measure the port opening too and compare to the 1204 specs.
1204 1.99 in. x 1.23 in
Even if the plate isnít removable from the 1204 tin snips or drill a hole in the passengers side.
or ask what this guy ended up using.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/...-manifold.html
FWIW, the 1204 is what I used; I simply drilled out the spot weld and the plates fell off.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Sponsor

Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Any progress ?
Old 02-22-2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance View Post
Any progress ?
No. It will be another couple weeks before I get some free time. Working on the weekends stinks! I did order the intake manifold gaskets.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:01 PM

I had today off so I was able to make some progress. I work tomorrow and that should be it for my weekend work! At least for now.
I got one side fully complete. I had some finished prior but I put a good 3 hrs and finished 4 ports all the way through. I think I am going to have about 8-9 hrs total in the one side. It is going good, being careful not to cut to much and have not gone through anywhere! When you look down the ports it really looks like it is going to flow really well. I wish I had access to a flow bench. By no means is it perfect but it is leaps and bounds above what the untouched side looks like. I am not definitively not a pro at this but thus far I am satisfied with how it is turning out.

Those cutters I bought do not disappoint. I may not be making the ports as large as possible but it sure is removing material!

Old 03-09-2019, 02:09 PM

Here are some pics from both sides where you can see through. It is hard to get a goot pic looking through.

That is not a crack, although it sure looks it. It is a small shadow fron the casting mark in the runner. I took the pic after I washed it off and the water makes it look like a crack.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:13 PM

One more day to find and I can finish this manifold up!

I want your opinions guys, Do I make room in my budget for the new injectors? I probably can swing it but I want your opinion on if I throw my working Multecs back in. Doesn't Southbay give members 10% off any purchase?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2019, 03:13 PM

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 (going LS1)
Transmission: R4 (going 60E)
Axle/Gears: 7.5" 3.42 (staying...)

One more day to find and I can finish this manifold up!

I want your opinions guys, Do I make room in my budget for the new injectors? I probably can swing it but I want your opinion on if I throw my working Multecs back in. Doesn't Southbay give members 10% off any purchase?

Thanks
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...hbay-24-a.html
Old 03-10-2019, 03:29 PM

Thanks, but I see those are 24#. I need 19#, I have a 305.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:54 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS B4C
Engine: 5.7 TPI Crate Motor
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.42

I am in (or on) Jupiter.
You are right about the cast thing, but with my limited knowledge of this I have heard that the SLP's and such are shorter and fatter so more CFM's can get through. Maybe someone else here knows for sure. I did not know that AS&M made the TPIS, that makes sense as they look the same.

Your set up is going to end up similar to mine. I have the TPIs manifold and I paid a pretty penny for it. According to the guy I spoke to at AS&M (they still make them) made the runners for TPIs and I believe he said Edelbrock made the lower intake for TPIs (they are the same). You might want to look and see if you can find an Edelbrock lower intake. The guy at AS&M was super friendly you can call and confirm about the manifold.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Originally Posted by zman1969 View Post
I was still able to get 356 hp out of a 305 and 380 hp out of a 383 to the wheels with an edelbrock 3817 base ported to match the siamesed SLP runners I ran on it. Minor cleanup on the cylinder head end to match the stock vortec port, debur around the injector boss thinning it slightly and opened up the runner end to match the ported SLPs. The 383 had the same cam as the 305. Made ALOT more toque and put its peak HP down 500 rpm earlier.

That being said the Indmar marine intake I am running on my 350 is a much better intake for making HP. It has runners that average 5" long and had alot of meat to make them match my 215cc head ports.

Last edited by Fast355; 03-28-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Pontiac
Engine: 5.0 FI
Transmission: 700R4. Shift kit+S10 TC
Axle/Gears: 3.73s Posi

Good job Vinny! I love the look of the factory TPI
Old 03-30-2019, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by steves View Post
Your set up is going to end up similar to mine. I have the TPIs manifold and I paid a pretty penny for it. According to the guy I spoke to at AS&M (they still make them) made the runners for TPIs and I believe he said Edelbrock made the lower intake for TPIs (they are the same). You might want to look and see if you can find an Edelbrock lower intake. The guy at AS&M was super friendly you can call and confirm about the manifold.
How do you like your setup? Did you also modify your plenum?
I did speak with a guy at AS&M earlier in this project, but I did not ask about a manifold. I did not want to just buy one for this I wanted to do the work myself and as you said any aftermarket manifold you are going to $$.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
I was still able to get 356 hp out of a 305 and 380 hp out of a 383 to the wheels with an edelbrock 3817 base ported to match the siamesed SLP runners I ran on it. Minor cleanup on the cylinder head end to match the stock vortec port, debur around the injector boss thinning it slightly and opened up the runner end to match the ported SLPs. The 383 had the same cam as the 305. Made ALOT more toque and put its peak HP down 500 rpm earlier.

That being said the Indmar marine intake I am running on my 350 is a much better intake for making HP. It has runners that average 5" long and had alot of meat to make them match my 215cc head ports.
Those are some pretty impressive numbers on the 305! I am hoping to gain 40 hp with this build so If I get that I will be happy. I do not plan on touching the heads just the TPI system.

Last edited by vinny R; 03-30-2019 at 06:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-30-2019, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by dmccain View Post
Good job Vinny! I love the look of the factory TPI
Thank you...me too! Hey if this works out you should do this to the engine you have waiting to go in. I finished the port work yesterday and I an ready to put the coat of aluminum paint on today. I will post my finished pics this weekend so I am getting close. It is looking good, I am leaning towards taking your advice and me and a friend may go out to the track and give her a run before I switch out the parts. He has a MeToo mustang GT so we will do a good ole bracket race!
Old 03-31-2019, 07:02 AM

Alright, I am finished with the port work. It was a lot of fun and learning but by about the 6th port I was getting to where I wanted it done. I walked away from it for about a week and then got my second wind and finished it up! I got about 20 hrs in it and have no regrets that I did not just buy one. This was a learning project for me. I was able to see first hand where the restrictions are in this system, and work my porting accordingly. I took the advice given to me by the OP's in this thread and took that info and ran with it. I hope you all will like the outcome of my work.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:27 AM

There was a major restriction on the left side of each pot inlet, the runner side. It stuck out at least 1/8" or better. You can see it in the before pics in this thread. I really went after this side and pretty much removed it all. I only opened up the right side slightly, enough to get the casting marks out. The metal gets thin as you go down the port so I was careful not to remove to much from that side. You can still see a remnant of the casting mark as I was afraid to remove to much material. I used one of those magnetic bolt retrievers and tapped on the walls to get an idea if it was a thick area or not.

On the other side I was able to really smooth out and remove a decent amount of material from the right side. This side looks thick but when I tapped on it it did not sound that thick so I was careful. The bottom of the wall on this side was rounded at the bottom so I took out a decent amount in this area which in turn made that side larger The left side I opened up quite a bit. I was able to smooth out the bend on the left side and make the port width larger. When I look down the port I can really see where It is a much straighter shot for the air to flow.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:41 AM

I see in some of the OP's that I probably should have just bought one of the aftermarket bases. While I have never seen one in person I am not sure how much more I would get out of those. From everything I see that I did to this base it should FLOW! I am not looking to support 300+ HP so I can't see the benefit in spending $500 or more on a base. Maybe one of you guys could tell me am wrong in this thinking. My Plenum, Runners and Base all mach up to a 1.63 ID now.

I still have I few more parts to order, a new EGR valve and since I did not spend that $$ on a base. some new injectors will be in the budget now. New socket bolts for the runners. I got all my gaskets including the TB set. I will get the rest of the parts this week so in another couple weeks the parts will be swapped...getting excited!

Last edited by vinny R; 03-31-2019 at 07:44 AM. Reason: pronunciation
Old 03-31-2019, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Pontiac
Engine: 5.0 FI
Transmission: 700R4. Shift kit+S10 TC
Axle/Gears: 3.73s Posi

Thank you...me too! Hey if this works out you should do this to the engine you have waiting to go in. I finished the port work yesterday and I an ready to put the coat of aluminum paint on today. I will post my finished pics this weekend so I am getting close. It is looking good, I am leaning towards taking your advice and me and a friend may go out to the track and give her a run before I switch out the parts. He has a MeToo mustang GT so we will do a good ole bracket race!
. Sold my TPI setup but had a stock TBI intake bored out and cleaned up by a member here he done a great job.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:17 PM

How do you like your setup? Did you also modify your plenum?
I did speak with a guy at AS&M earlier in this project, but I did not ask about a manifold. I did not want to just buy one for this I wanted to do the work myself and as you said any aftermarket manifold you are going to $$.

I am very happy with the way it turned out. The plenum was ported. and I have a Holley airfoil also. I think the airfoil is a must. I think you will be happy with the outcome.

I probably missed it but is this a 5.0 or 5.7? I didn't read through all the posts. There was a web site I found (don't remember which one) and it seemed like some very good info in it and it said the factory throttle body is good up to 400HP. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by steves; 04-04-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

I am very happy with the way it turned out. The plenum was ported. and I have a Holley airfoil also. I think the airfoil is a must. I think you will be happy with the outcome.

I probably missed it but is this a 5.0 or 5.7? I didn't read through all the posts. There was a web site I found (don't remember which one) and it seemed like some very good info in it and it said the factory throttle body is good up to 400HP. Correct me if I am wrong.
Ramjet 502 uses the same TB and makes 502 hp. Those gain power with a bigger TB but still move enough air to make 500 hp.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:26 AM

I do have a 305 and I have heard the same info as you guys where our stock TB can handle those horses. I do have an airfoil already in place, not sure the brand, it was in the car when I bought it.. If you remember that site be sure to post a link, I always like doing my homework on this stuff.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
Ramjet 502 uses the same TB and makes 502 hp. Those gain power with a bigger TB but still move enough air to make 500 hp.
Pretty impressive! I just gotta laugh as I see countless people spending big bucks on those BBK's and such.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:08 AM

I do have a 305 and I have heard the same info as you guys where our stock TB can handle those horses. I do have an airfoil already in place, not sure the brand, it was in the car when I bought it.. If you remember that site be sure to post a link, I always like doing my homework on this stuff.

It's been a while since I looked for TPI information I believe this is the web site http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...i-build.12203/ There is a ton of great info on here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...erformance-48/ You just have to go through all the C4 stuff. I am really interested in seeing how this all turns out.