TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAT relocation ideas, need some thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: I
Engine: Taunt
Transmission: Mustangs
MAT relocation ideas, need some thoughts...

I am looking into relocating my MAT. Does any one have any opinions on this procedure, to do it or not to do it; it sounds like an overly positive mod to me. On the TPIS web site (http://www.tpis.com/pg37-40.html) online catalouge they say:

"We have found that by using the '92 and later MAT Sensor and placing it in front of the throttle body the motor will be more responsive. Kit includes Wire Harness, Sensor and Grommet."

Does this mean that instead of buying this overpriced product I can simply lengthen my MAT sensors leads and mount a MAT from a '92 L98? Is there anyhting else to this kit that I am missing? Just wondering, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails MAT relocation ideas, need some thoughts...-p1010093.jpg  

Last edited by Dustin Mustangs; 01-24-2002 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice looking car. And yes, just lengthen the wire and stick it in your air box. I haven't done it but I most likely will if I remember. You can get a grommet for it at an auto parts store if you take the sensor in and just look around.. that or you could actually make a hole and screw the sensor in. Even though the air box is thin, I doubt it would leak if you got it in there good. .
Old 01-24-2002, 09:13 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Relocating the MAT on a MAF car does not alter the fuel timing (like it does on SD cars). The MAF itself does all compensating for ambient air temperature. The only thing you will do is make your EGR stop functioning sooner, as the ECM looks at the MAT to determine at which temperature to enable/disable the EGR.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahh I was not aware, I guess I will forget about it. Actually, I have no egr..so.. whatever
Old 02-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91' Firebird SOLD
Engine: 350 TPI +bolt-ons
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Re: MAT relocation ideas, need some thoughts...

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper
Relocating the MAT on a MAF car does not alter the fuel timing (like it does on SD cars). The MAF itself does all compensating for ambient air temperature. The only thing you will do is make your EGR stop functioning sooner, as the ECM looks at the MAT to determine at which temperature to enable/disable the EGR.
ok, i got the Mat relocation tabled file you posted a while back and understand what needs to be done prior to using it. Only one thing,in my current prom my egr is already disabled. So what do i need to to change my "Enable EGR Temp" to now???
Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

Here we go again with the haters of the relocation......

I did it years ago & nothing got worse & MPG (which I have always tracked from day 1 I got the car) did measurably go up & throttle response got better. Do it. It helps. And I have never touched my PROM after doing the relocation.
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=24

On a Camaro you can use a V6 Y-piece which already has the threaded section in it. On Firebirds you can find a brass fitting at Lowes/Home Depot to put the sensor in & a nut/washer to hold the fitting in the intake wherever you choose to put it.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73

Originally Posted by ninetyone
,in my current prom my egr is already disabled.
So what do i need to to change my "Enable EGR Temp" to now???
If EGR is disabled on the tune then ECM will never try to operate it so problem mentioned above won't eventuate