Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

LCA's & panhard bar?????/

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCA's & panhard bar?????/

What are these things and what do they look like? I know they are on the rear axle but thats all I know. I was rearended and know my car whines when Im in gear and let off the gas. What could it be???
Old 05-21-2002, 12:14 AM

Car: 86 Iroc
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
The Panhard bar is right behind the rear axle.it attaches to the rear axel then runs up to another bar at an angle...the other bar is the brace and it runs to the body of the car. Your LCA's are located one to each side in front of the axel towards the ends near your bracks..cant miss them..as for your other prob...got me..good luck
Old 05-23-2002, 03:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89rs (previous 2.8)
Engine: 406
Transmission: 700r4 (for now)
As for the wine....pass the cheese.. No seriously take it to a bodyshop and have them check the frame ....sounds like something is out of line,,,,
Old 05-26-2002, 05:56 PM

I think its my gears......
Old 05-26-2002, 07:12 PM

Now that i think about it...when i went through my mini-truck phase(i know i know) i lowered my truck way to far and becouse the driveline was binding it made this whine while in gear. Heres a question does the whine get worse if you go over a bump while driving that is big enough to make your back suspension flex? or does it get less when your rear suspension extends downward? Put the rear on jackstands and put it in gear and see if you still have a whine...if not then your rear axle got pushed forward and your driveline is binding. Good luck

Ps put the jackstands on the frame and not under the axle you want your rear suspension to drop all the way down
Old 05-26-2002, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by Wolfpack
Now that i think about it...when i went through my mini-truck phase(i know i know) i lowered my truck way to far and becouse the driveline was binding it made this whine while in gear. Heres a question does the whine get worse if you go over a bump while driving that is big enough to make your back suspension flex? or does it get less when your rear suspension extends downward? Put the rear on jackstands and put it in gear and see if you still have a whine...if not then your rear axle got pushed forward and your driveline is binding. Good luck

Ps put the jackstands on the frame and not under the axle you want your rear suspension to drop all the way down
It only makes the noise when decellerating in gear.....If I push on the gas......the noise dissapears... I believe its the pinion in my gears..
Old 05-26-2002, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Re: LCA's & panhard bar?????/

Originally posted by SlowStangEater
...my car whines when Im in gear and let off the gas. What could it be???
The driver.
Old 05-26-2002, 08:04 PM

Re: Re: LCA's & panhard bar?????/

Originally posted by kevinc

The driver.
A very good possibility :lala:
Old 05-27-2002, 06:34 PM

Thats what my truck did...only made the whine while slowing down(really annoying sound too kinda like a high pitched grinding wee sound). If your driveline is binding then its putting presure on your pinion and gears...so that where the sound will come from. Again like i said check your rearend alignment and make sure your driveline is not binding at the pinion becouse if you are you will deff will get a whine from the back end of the car..Luck
Old 05-27-2002, 06:38 PM

Thats what my truck did...only made the whine while slowing down(really annoying sound too kinda like a high pitched grinding wee sound). If your driveline is binding then its putting presure on your pinion and gears...so that where the sound will come from. Again like i said check your rearend alignment and make sure your driveline is not binding at the pinion becouse if you are you will deff will get a whine from the back end of the car..Luck
By binding, what do you mean? Are you saying that its to close to the gears? Nothing is noticeable except a recent spot of fluid leaking from the yoke. My rearend allignment......How would you check that? Do I have to get new gears? or is it fixable?
Old 05-27-2002, 06:54 PM

Prob what happened was when you got hit it pushed your rear end forward into the driveshaft( would explain the leakage maybe) what i would do would be to make sure no suspension stuff is bent, if nothing is bent then get a pinion alignment tool and check your alignment of your driveshaft to your rear axle. It should just be a matter of realigning your pinion angles and the problem should disappear though i would think that prolonged use of the rear while binding will cause the bearings and such in the rear to wear out really fast. You prob need to go ahead and get a new seal and check the crush sleeve and nut for possible damage as well. Thats about the limit of my knowledge for that but i know with lowering trucks and stuff its a pretty big prob cuze your pinion angles get messed up and causes a whine like that. Oh and what i mean by binding is that the driveshaft is pushing against the rear axle its really not somthing you can see either just hear... Hope that helps some..good luck
Old 05-27-2002, 06:58 PM

That helps a lot. Well I guess I could try realigning the pinion and stuff and see if it goes away..... If the driveshaft is binding, which Im sure it is.........How would I unbind it? I mean it took a car crash to make it do this........Is is a simple fix or a pain in the @ss... Thanx
Old 05-27-2002, 07:21 PM

Well if its binding then its becouse the axle is moved forward just a hair(don't take much) prob becouse somthing in the suspension is pushed forward. I would check your LCA's for that prob they keep the axle from goin backward or forward. Also your rear axle could have rotated some and that would cause bind as well. Its really all a matter of making sure everything is lined up to factory spec in the back. For my truck i just raised it back up and it went away. In your case your gonna have to check a couple of things but as long as your didn't really mess anything up then should be a simple fix..just time consuming finding what is causing the bind. And think of it this way if anything is bent now is the time to upgrade to performnce stuff spohn suspension etc etc

Brian
Old 05-27-2002, 07:35 PM

Well if its binding then its becouse the axle is moved forward just a hair(don't take much) prob becouse somthing in the suspension is pushed forward. I would check your LCA's for that prob they keep the axle from goin backward or forward. Also your rear axle could have rotated some and that would cause bind as well. Its really all a matter of making sure everything is lined up to factory spec in the back. For my truck i just raised it back up and it went away. In your case your gonna have to check a couple of things but as long as your didn't really mess anything up then should be a simple fix..just time consuming finding what is causing the bind. And think of it this way if anything is bent now is the time to upgrade to performnce stuff spohn suspension etc etc

Brian
What if I just go really fast in reverse and back into someone!!!! That should even it back out....
Old 05-27-2002, 07:40 PM

Oh and your gears should be fine though your pinion bearing might be shot..make sure everything is lined up and nothing is bent and if it still does it have the pinion bearing changed(gotta fix the seal anyway might as well ) Keep me informed and good luck
Old 05-27-2002, 07:41 PM

LOL well um its your car...........
Old 05-27-2002, 07:41 PM

Oh and your gears should be fine though your pinion bearing might be shot..make sure everything is lined up and nothing is bent and if it still does it have the pinion bearing changed(gotta fix the seal anyway might as well ) Keep me informed and good luck

Thanx alot.........I appreciate your help
Old 05-27-2002, 07:43 PM

WOW i just relized i actully contributed to the board!!!! OMG